“Horrible service, dirty rooms but a nice location”
Review of Ship-N-Shore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugatuck
Ship-N-Shore Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Saugatuck
Reviewed 29 July 2010

My husband stayed at the Ship N Shore for our first wedding anniversary. We had a terrible experience and ended up going to another hotel. The girls that worked at the front desk were VERY unfriendly, unhelpful and rude. For example, I asked one of them for a plate and she responded by saying "the only plate I have is the plate I am using right now." She was eating pizza while sitting at the front desk. The next day I asked for a fork and another girl told me to go across the street and ask another restaurant because they didn't have any at the Ship N Shore. Also, in the morning (around 9:30) I went to get a cup of coffee and it was out. I asked if they were going to make more coffee and the girl responded "once the coffee is out I don't make anymore." The sign clearly read continental breakfast ended at 10:00 a.m. I just couldn't believe how rude the girl was. None of the employees we encountered were friendly or helpful. Our room was dirty and outdated. We payed for a balcony room. However, our balcony didn't have any chairs and our view was supposed to be a water front view, but a building blocked half of our view. The "balcony" was really the walkway for people to get to their rooms. Not a balcony at all. The pictures on the website are very deceiving. The worst part was in the middle of the night someone tried opening our door. I woke up in the middle of the night to our door being open about two inches. Before going to bed that evening I checked the door to ensure that it was locked. Very scary feeling to feel someone was trying to get in the room. I will never stay at the Ship N Shore again and I suggest you don't either! :(

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MandiRoyalOak

Reviewed 20 July 2010

The view is great, but the rooms are terrible. The mirror in our room was cracked, the bathroom was very dirty..it was disgusting with spider webs on the ceiling. Dingy sink and toilet..both of us came back home ill..we are not sure if it is was caused by the air conditioning unit that was in the room or germs. The air conditioning unit was full of dirt. The bed sheets did not fit the bed and must be the cheapest brand available. Never again....I heard a few folks complain about customer service..(this place does not have any customer service)..this could be the reason why you must pay in full at check in....

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dadesg
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Sitting in the Ship N Shore now writing this review. Let me first say its my Wife and I and 2 small children, 5 and 6 years old. I love this place. Its the perfect location, the staff is friendly and the grounds are real nice. The only complaint I would have and this is not really their fault is on the weekend (fri and sat nights) this place is kind of the party hotel. We walked to the pool when we arrived sat. evening with our kids and you would have thought the devil himself walked in. The pool was full of boaters throwing a little party. So we decided to go to the beach instead ha ha. The rest of the time was great. Other familys arrived and the kids got the pool back. The location is perfect. You can walk anywere in town from the hotel. The only thing is if your going to the beach alot you will either have to drive or take the ferry and do about a 3/4 mile walk by road or 303 steps over mount baldwin which was fun. The rooms were not the best but what do you expect from a hotel this old. I would not let it detour you from staying here, they are like an older summer room in florida or something you would stay in. If you have kids and can only stay friday and sat. nights I would recommend the beachway across the river, it seemed more family oriented on the party nights.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2010

We stayed the first night on the 2nd floor and the room was nice except the bathroom was unsightly/ Good view. The second day we were there we had to move to a back room with a street view. It was horrible & small.There was no remote control, no hairdryer, no alarm clock & the toilet handle was broken. You could barely turn around in the ugly bathroom. The first day we were there it was mid week and quiet. On Friday, boaters came (people in the front cottages lost their view and were disturbed by noise).
The obnoxious boat people overtook the pool and there were no chairs or tables. In the evening they overtook the lobby/lounge. The place became noisy then. I was glad to leave. It was overpriced and an uncomfortable place to stay. Grounds were pretty.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2009

This was the second time we stayed at the Ship & Shore. We had a Queen room with a very nice private balcony at the end of the main part of the Motel. Although the room was small, it was comfortable and clean. We love the location - watching the boats on the River and easy walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. Nice Continental breakfast available also.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We had no hot water for the whole weekend. The whole second floor had no hot water for the whole weekend. No apologies - just "you can use the boaters showers outside." Yeah, right. It was 50degrees out that weekend. The rooms were clean, cheap quality beds (uncomfy!) and towels. We ended up leaving early (no refund) and driving home latenight to be in our own bed with a hot shower in the morning. We'll definitely stay somewhere else next time....

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank uriahOhio
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Super location on the water in downtown Saugatuck with all the shops and restaurants just down the sidewalk. Room was spacious and clean. Very neat and clean property.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Fango
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
2 mi away
#2 of 10 in Saugatuck
The Hotel Saugatuck
The Hotel Saugatuck
#4 of 19 in Saugatuck

Been to Ship-N-Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!