“Let me go home to the peace and quiet of Chicago!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugatuck
Bella Vita Spa + Suites
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Saugatuck
“Let me go home to the peace and quiet of Chicago!”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

As stated on the hotel's web-site, Bella Vita is located in the center of town. Before arriving at the hotel, I thought that would be a major convenience. In hind site, never again! My husband and I went to Saugatuck, for a relaxing weekend, but could not sleep day or night. General foot traffic, Harleys, Kilwins ice cream below, and smokers sitting on benches outside the room, made it impossible to nap during the day. The bar with the live band and the patrons standing outside, two doors down, made it hard to sleep at night.

Another problem with the hotel is that after the spa closes around 5:00 pm, the hotel is unattended. If any problem occurs, you're supposed to carry around the owners business card and call him. So when someones alarm clock was going off in a room that no one was in, at 7:00 am for an hour, I guess it's just time to get up.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank inconcls

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Chicago
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I read raving reviews about this property but we had a poor experience. I can only think that variation exists in the sleepability between rooms. We stayed in the Butler Flat A and Butler Flats are next door and above a saloon that plays loud music until late in the evening and then you hear drunk people in the street.
A is likely worse than B because A is located in the front of the building closest to the saloon.
The condo is updated and neutral but has an awkward layout with a too large living room that lacks warmth and needs more furniture. Also, our sheets had holes in them! Definately not worth $300 a nite. The walls are thin and you won't get much sleep. Butler Flat (at least flat A) Highly NOT recommended (unless maybe for a bachelorette or bachelor party). Also, I mentioned to the management I could not sleep and all they cared about was getting their payment.

Room Tip: Don't take butler A for reasons stated in my commentary
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank familywith3boys
Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Not clean and very basic accomodations... found towels ripped and sheets with holes...not the best way to spend your money in Saugatuck. Much better offerings of rental cotages or other B&B's which have clean and quiet accomodations and nice ammenities. Pictures of this hotel do not match the reality.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MelissaBW98
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at Bella Vita on the first leg of an anniversary trip. The location is fantastic. Everything you would want to do in Saugatuck is an easy walk away. And even though our window looked over one of the main streets in town, we didn't have any issue to outside noise. We stayed in the Roma suite. The pictures on their website are an accurate depiction of the room. It was even a little bigger than I thought it would be. We thought the accommodations were top notch, and the location was fantastic. And having a dedicated parking place in the heart of downtown was great added benefit.

I would also like to point out that the owner, Kevin, was fantastic. We stopped in Saugatuck on our way to Mackinac Island, so we had our bikes with us. Obviously we didn't want to keep them on the bike rack on the car overnight, so I was going to put them in our room (it was big enough to do that without difficulty). Kevin happened to see me, and he said "oh, I have a much better place for you to put those." He had a storage space in the building next door, and he gave me his key code for the door lock so we could come and go with them as we pleased. We bumped into him a couple of times, and he was always great. He even recognized me when we passed on the street and asked me how everything was going and if there was anything he could do for us.

In all, it was a great stay. If Bella Vita is available when we return to Saugatuck, it will be our first choice.

Room Tip: The pictures on their website are an accurate depiction of the rooms. You can use them to pick the...
3 Thank Gleece
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My wife and I recently stayed in the Milano suite. Great decor, comfortable bed, clean, well appointed, and a super location. There were a couple of annoying issues with the room; two lights did not work (next to the bed and overhead track) and the ceiling fan was inoperative. These are minor, but for the price, everything should work. They do not use room keys; you are given a code to access the room and building. This became a problem when I went for coffee in the morning and my code would not let me back into the building. Lucky for me, my wife was still in the room so I could call her to let me back in. This could have been a huge inconvenience if we had both left the building at the same time. My wife utilized the spa (massage); she enjoyed it and felt it was worth the money. As others mentioned, parking is atrocious. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would consider booking again.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moondancerst
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Just took a short trip to Saugatuck and stayed at the Bella Vita Suites. This was a wonderful stay and we could not have asked for anything more. The property is quaint and clean in literally in the MIDDLE of town. We stayed in the Piedmont Suite which was wonderful. When you walk in they have nice music playing and we even have chocolate covered strawberries delivered (my boyfriend ordered them ahead of time). Check in was quick and easy and we were on our way to explore the city very quickly. The only thing we were bummed about was not getting in for a couples massage (you definitely need to book these ahead of time). The atmosphere was romantic and it was the perfect way to celebrate our anniversary. I highly recommend!

Room Tip: It is a very small property, I think any room is just fine. They have all the descriptions online.
2 Thank Julie I
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We just spent 3 nights at the Bella Vita before the 4th of July and had a great experience.

Pros:
- We stayed in the Roma suite and really loved the decor - modern and clean. The king size bed was great, 2-person table to eat breakfast in the morning, and comfortable bathroom (with a shower big enough for 2 people).
- Location - it's right in the heart of Downtown Saugatuck so it's nice to be able to walk to restaurants, local performing arts center, etc.

Cons:
- The AC in our room was having trouble keeping up with the 100+ degree heat that we were having so our room got pretty uncomfortable and a bit hard to sleep in b/c of the AC. On the plus side, the owner was very kind to come by and try to address the issue.
- Parking - Parking can be a huge issue in Downtown Saugatuck during high season so the plus side is that each suite comes with its own assigned parking spot. However, there were three different occassions that we came back and the cleaning people, plumber, etc. was in our spot so it's really inconvenient when you then need to ask the front desk, try to find another spot, and then wait until that person moves their car.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mich_jason
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
Hampton Inn Holland
Captains Quarters Motel
Captains Quarters Motel
#2 of 10 in Saugatuck
Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites

Been to Bella Vita Spa + Suites? Share your experiences!