“A Thanksgiving To Remember..”
Review of Wickwood Inn

Wickwood Inn
Ranked #6 of 24 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
“A Thanksgiving To Remember..”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

First, let me start off by saying I am really happy to see so many recent positive reviews about Wickwood Inn - it is hands down, the most beautiful inn I have ever stayed in! I have to admit that I was a bit nervous about staying here at first, due to some not so good Trip Advisor Reviews. But as soon as we walked through the door, I knew I had made the right choice. To this day, we still talk about our weekend at Wickwood...

Anyway, back to the review: So Thanksgiving was rolling around, and not having any friends or family close by, we decided to take a trip to Saugatuck for the holiday. We arrived late on the Wednesday evening and the Inn looked like something out of a Christmas movie - covered in a couple feet of snow and decorated with the most beautiful Christmas decorations.

We were warmly greeted by the innkeeper and offered an upgrade to a room that contained a fire place. Score! Before taking us up to our room, she gave us a quick tour of the living and dining area. The cozy Christmas decorations and warm crackling fire made us forget that we were away from our families on the Thanksgiving Holiday. Frankly, we don't like a lot of our family members lol (don't tell anyone!) so we secretly preferred the fact that we had the whole Inn to ourselves!!

Our Room was everything we could of expected and more. And we even had our own Christmas Tree! lol (ok maybe that was a bit much haha). You can tell the rooms have each been thoughtfully decorated with furniture and items from the owners' travels. We quickly unpacked and I changed into a robe, popped a Christmas cd into the CD player, and sat by the fire. Perfect. Just perfect. (One word on that though, and my only complaint..the fire made the room really hot! We should'v expected that as I did run in for about an hour or so..but I wish the innkeeper would've said something about it. We had to open a window (with considerable difficulty) to get some of the heat out! As far as we could tell, the Inn doesn't have AC..so we did have to spend the first night with most of the sheets off. But that is more my fault than anything else.)

Thanksgiving Day was absolutely perfect as we were literally the only two people in the Inn - and the innkeeper didn't at all make us feel uncomfortable for it. We popped out for a bottle champagne and the innkeeper kindly provided us with all of the orange juice we needed for mimosas! We spent the afternoon drinking and reading books in the study. I couldn't have pictured a more perfect day. Truly. We went to Thanksgiving Dinner at The Belvedere Inn - but I will talk about that in another review.

We spent "Black Friday" pretty much the same way we spent Thanksgiving..except we went into the town to check out the shops on Butler Street. Wickwood Inn is only a few minutes a way away from all of the art galleries, shops, and restaurants. We had coffee, bought two paintings, and headed back to the Inn. This definitely had to be one of the only times during my travels where I actually wanted to stay in our hotel/inn as much as possible. To be fair, Saugatuck is a small town. But Wickwood Inn is what made this trip truly memorable..it's the type of place that makes you want to open a B&B of your own.

I suppose I should address the breakfast as others had. I too was attracted by the fact that a famous chef was one of the owners..but I do have to agree that it seems like she/they aren't involved in the day-to-day management of the place. That being said, the breakfast was superb and we really couldn't have asked for more. We were served an egg casserole one day and a dutch pancake the next. There were also sausages and ham, pastries, yogurts, fruit, and as much bread as you could ever want. I can't really comment on the hors d'oeuvres as we weren't in the Inn when they were being served. And I do have to agree with some of the reviewers that while there were sweets in the living room throughout our stay, they were MUCH smaller in size than what the website made them seem/look like. But that's hardly a reason for me to dock a star.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Let me finish by saying that we loved Wickwood Inn so much that we have decided to return for a mini-honeymoon before our actual honeymoon after we get married this September.. And we are going to make it a habit of returning every Thanksgiving from now on. Thank you for a truly memorable stay! We can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 May 2014

After a very long and brutal winter, my husband and I finally found some time for a relaxing weekend in Saugatuck! Friends had recommended Wickwood and we were lucky enough to have reserved the last room of the weekend! It was fabulous! The entire experience was top notch! Our room was so comfortable and beautiful. I must confess that I will be stealing some of the decorating ideas! The location is perfect, we loved the fact that the town was a little less congested in the off season. We usually visit Saugatuck in July when things are a abuzz and love that too! The Innkeepers were so friendly and helpful and we even were treated to a surprise visit at breakfast by Julee Rosso, the owner! Food was exceptional...especially the mornings sticky buns! This stay was the quiet and relaxed refuge we had so dearly needed....the entire Inn surrounds you with warmth and gives the feeling of being in a well loved "home"...we have stayed in many of the other accommodations in Saugatuck but now that we have experienced Wickwood, will never go anywhere else! Already booked our July stay and can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adeline M
Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Upon arriving we found the property wwll cared for on the outside. The big selling point on the property was the award willing chef. I found the food to be mediocre at best. I sense the chef is the owner but really is not part of the operation. The rooms while nice were not up the the standards of the price paid. The walls could use sound reducing materials to reduce the noise from the room next door The pillows on the beds looked nice but were hard and uncomfortable. The location was ok as it was out of the busy part of town. Paying this kind of price for an average experience was not what I was looking for. It might be a value if the price was cut in half.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eric H
Chelsea, Michigan
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband had always wanted to stay at the Wickwood, so we reserved 2 nights midweek in February. The first night we were the only ones there and they offered us a free upgrade! The staff could not have been more warm and welcoming; they absolutely spoiled us. It was a perfect place to relax in front of the fireplace with a good book and a glass of wine on a wintry day. The food is incredible, with wine and substantial appetizers every evening. One evening we did not even go out for dinner; we had plenty to eat and a lovely setting right at the Wickwood.
Saugatuck is a fantastic summer destination, but we were entirely contented to settle in, relax and do nothing much for a couple of quiet days this winter. We would love to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The Wickwood Inn is beautiful and was decorated with fresh evergreen and festive Christmas lights! Breakfast was delicious and a special treat was appetizers and wine Happy Hour each evening to meet and mingle with other guests. Met some wonderful couples. Enjoyed the spa feature with a wonderful massage! Staff is excellent! The town is magical and quaint in the snow. Will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the inn this December and were wowed by the beautiful Christmas decorations, the wood fires, and the fantastic service and wonderful food. While I am sure this is a wonderful place to stay in summer to enjoy the lake it is really special at this time of year. We had a wonderful relaxing time strolling through the quaint village and then returning to sit fireside and read. Just wonderful!

Room Tip: The large suite in the front on the second floor is a nice large room with a fireplace and it's...