“What a B&B should be”

Ranked #6 of 24 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Naperville, Illinois
“What a B&B should be”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife and I spent just one night in this lovely establishment choosing the Picasso room from the few that were availble. Although wonderfully furnished and decorated with a clear Picasso theme, the room was a bit small and the bathroom even smaller. Never the less the Inn is otherwise perfect and the breakfast buffet well prepared and tasty. The Inn's location on Butler provides ready walking access to shops, restaurants and the river front.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the Wickwood Inn for two nights while attending a wedding in Saugatuck this weekend. The reception was friendly and efficient. We were given a brief tour of the public areas (delightful) and retired to our room (The Lodge) to unpack. Our room was spacious and well appointed. We loved the fresh flowers at bedside and in the sitting area. The bathroom is small but served us well during our stay. Due to our commitments we were not able to avail ourselves of the wine and hors d'oeuvres in the evening. Breakfast on both mornings was splendid, and the service was classy. The location is ideal for that stroll around downtown Saugatuck. We did not meet Julie (not our reason for staying there), but Nancy and Betty and the team excelled in all departments and I hope we have a reason to go back again!

Room Tip: If we go back we will request The Lodge again.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick M
Saugatuck, Michigan
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We just left The Wickwood after four wonderful days and while I feel like keeping it all a secret, I'm bursting and must tell all.EVERYONE who enjoys quality needs to experience this gem of a property. We have visited Saugatuck many times and could never get a reservation at Wickwood as we were always booking too late. Now I will never stay elsewhere.
Where to begin...the warm welcome, the warm chocolate chip , the ginger tea.....cookies, the chocolate cupcakes...I could wax enthusiastically on and on. Of course I have Julee Russo's cookbooks and so have been a fan for years, but to be served her recipes day after day is heaven.We chatted with Julee twice during our stay and in person she is one in a million. Her excitement about good food permeates every conversation,and just by talking with her I learned so much! Everything we tasted during our stay was simply superb.
Our room, The Lodge , was our haven of serenity and we were torn between wanting to spend time time there and returning to some of our favorite haunts, Salt of The Earth, Clearbrook, and The Brewery. This time we discovered Petter Wine Gallery and Virtue Cider. This town keeps getting better. But, back to our room. It had a fire place, with arm chairs alongside, a sitting area with a couch for reading and a four poster bed with a feather bed that I had trouble getting out of in the morning. But we had to to go out and walk off some ounces so that we could begin the day with the hearty homemade breakfast that varied everyday and was always filled with more choices than we could enjoy. No wonder Wickwood is always booked.
We must compliment the entire Staff of Wickwood here but, I will be writing to Julee personally about our visit as well. This is simply an outstanding escape from our everyday world that our gratitude must be noted. As we left we made our reservations for a weekend in October,and I can't wait!

Room Tip: The Lodge is the perfect room. There is plenty of space, it is gorgeous and very quiet. We felt ve...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
Reviewed 13 May 2014

First, let me start off by saying I am really happy to see so many recent positive reviews about Wickwood Inn - it is hands down, the most beautiful inn I have ever stayed in! I have to admit that I was a bit nervous about staying here at first, due to some not so good Trip Advisor Reviews. But as soon as we walked through the door, I knew I had made the right choice. To this day, we still talk about our weekend at Wickwood...

Anyway, back to the review: So Thanksgiving was rolling around, and not having any friends or family close by, we decided to take a trip to Saugatuck for the holiday. We arrived late on the Wednesday evening and the Inn looked like something out of a Christmas movie - covered in a couple feet of snow and decorated with the most beautiful Christmas decorations.

We were warmly greeted by the innkeeper and offered an upgrade to a room that contained a fire place. Score! Before taking us up to our room, she gave us a quick tour of the living and dining area. The cozy Christmas decorations and warm crackling fire made us forget that we were away from our families on the Thanksgiving Holiday. Frankly, we don't like a lot of our family members lol (don't tell anyone!) so we secretly preferred the fact that we had the whole Inn to ourselves!!

Our Room was everything we could of expected and more. And we even had our own Christmas Tree! lol (ok maybe that was a bit much haha). You can tell the rooms have each been thoughtfully decorated with furniture and items from the owners' travels. We quickly unpacked and I changed into a robe, popped a Christmas cd into the CD player, and sat by the fire. Perfect. Just perfect. (One word on that though, and my only complaint..the fire made the room really hot! We should'v expected that as I did run in for about an hour or so..but I wish the innkeeper would've said something about it. We had to open a window (with considerable difficulty) to get some of the heat out! As far as we could tell, the Inn doesn't have AC..so we did have to spend the first night with most of the sheets off. But that is more my fault than anything else.)

Thanksgiving Day was absolutely perfect as we were literally the only two people in the Inn - and the innkeeper didn't at all make us feel uncomfortable for it. We popped out for a bottle champagne and the innkeeper kindly provided us with all of the orange juice we needed for mimosas! We spent the afternoon drinking and reading books in the study. I couldn't have pictured a more perfect day. Truly. We went to Thanksgiving Dinner at The Belvedere Inn - but I will talk about that in another review.

We spent "Black Friday" pretty much the same way we spent Thanksgiving..except we went into the town to check out the shops on Butler Street. Wickwood Inn is only a few minutes a way away from all of the art galleries, shops, and restaurants. We had coffee, bought two paintings, and headed back to the Inn. This definitely had to be one of the only times during my travels where I actually wanted to stay in our hotel/inn as much as possible. To be fair, Saugatuck is a small town. But Wickwood Inn is what made this trip truly memorable..it's the type of place that makes you want to open a B&B of your own.

I suppose I should address the breakfast as others had. I too was attracted by the fact that a famous chef was one of the owners..but I do have to agree that it seems like she/they aren't involved in the day-to-day management of the place. That being said, the breakfast was superb and we really couldn't have asked for more. We were served an egg casserole one day and a dutch pancake the next. There were also sausages and ham, pastries, yogurts, fruit, and as much bread as you could ever want. I can't really comment on the hors d'oeuvres as we weren't in the Inn when they were being served. And I do have to agree with some of the reviewers that while there were sweets in the living room throughout our stay, they were MUCH smaller in size than what the website made them seem/look like. But that's hardly a reason for me to dock a star.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Let me finish by saying that we loved Wickwood Inn so much that we have decided to return for a mini-honeymoon before our actual honeymoon after we get married this September.. And we are going to make it a habit of returning every Thanksgiving from now on. Thank you for a truly memorable stay! We can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 May 2014

After a very long and brutal winter, my husband and I finally found some time for a relaxing weekend in Saugatuck! Friends had recommended Wickwood and we were lucky enough to have reserved the last room of the weekend! It was fabulous! The entire experience was top notch! Our room was so comfortable and beautiful. I must confess that I will be stealing some of the decorating ideas! The location is perfect, we loved the fact that the town was a little less congested in the off season. We usually visit Saugatuck in July when things are a abuzz and love that too! The Innkeepers were so friendly and helpful and we even were treated to a surprise visit at breakfast by Julee Rosso, the owner! Food was exceptional...especially the mornings sticky buns! This stay was the quiet and relaxed refuge we had so dearly needed....the entire Inn surrounds you with warmth and gives the feeling of being in a well loved "home"...we have stayed in many of the other accommodations in Saugatuck but now that we have experienced Wickwood, will never go anywhere else! Already booked our July stay and can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adeline M
Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Upon arriving we found the property wwll cared for on the outside. The big selling point on the property was the award willing chef. I found the food to be mediocre at best. I sense the chef is the owner but really is not part of the operation. The rooms while nice were not up the the standards of the price paid. The walls could use sound reducing materials to reduce the noise from the room next door The pillows on the beds looked nice but were hard and uncomfortable. The location was ok as it was out of the busy part of town. Paying this kind of price for an average experience was not what I was looking for. It might be a value if the price was cut in half.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eric H
Chelsea, Michigan
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband had always wanted to stay at the Wickwood, so we reserved 2 nights midweek in February. The first night we were the only ones there and they offered us a free upgrade! The staff could not have been more warm and welcoming; they absolutely spoiled us. It was a perfect place to relax in front of the fireplace with a good book and a glass of wine on a wintry day. The food is incredible, with wine and substantial appetizers every evening. One evening we did not even go out for dinner; we had plenty to eat and a lovely setting right at the Wickwood.
Saugatuck is a fantastic summer destination, but we were entirely contented to settle in, relax and do nothing much for a couple of quiet days this winter. We would love to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple