“Below average”
Review of Wickwood Inn

Wickwood Inn
Ranked #6 of 19 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed there just before the Fourth of July holiday. It is way overpriced. Most inn in the area are for 140-150 a night . The rate is is 300 a night . We stayed in the English garden room, the room faces the parking lot and it is small.
The location is good and the staff were nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank r k

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I were excited to getaway for our first Bed & Breakfast experience. Overall, we weren't disappointed. The house was beautiful, I loved the old music playing and the bookshelves filled with old books. Our room, Summer in Santorini, made me feel like I was truly visiting Greece. I loved the little decoration details, travel books on Greece, statues, the tiled cart in the bathroom. The hors d'oeurve and wine were very pleasant, and such a nice way to start out our date night! We enjoyed coffee which reading some books in the morning, and then had a nice, homemade breakfast. It truly was a chance to step away and just enjoy each other and the quiet of a B & B. I only had two small criticisms, one being the noisy water pipes (which I think my husband may have mentioned in his room). The other was that I noticed some dust on the fake topiaries on the back porch. That's probably just an area they haven't thought to get to for awhile. Those are really minor things though, overall, I was so happy with our experience and will definitely return!

Room Tip: It may cost a little more, but second floor rooms would be a little bit quieter.
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

BLUF: very nice stay; excellent hors d'oeuvre & brunch; excellent location near downtown Saugatuck; loud plumbing.

My mother-in-law volunteered to watch the kids for a night; so we needed to find a spot for a quick getaway that wasn't too far away. Wickwood had availability for the night so we made a reservation.

We stayed in the "Summer in Santorini" - a nice, bright room on the front corner of the house. We were a little worried that we might get a lot of road noise or noise from the entrance, but it wasn't an issue.

The library, porch, and patio are very pleasant and relaxing. And we made good use of the tea, juice, and coffee service.

The evening hors d'oeuvre were light and tasty; paired with a very passable rosé wine. Brunch was equally pleasant - fresh berries, bread pudding, and so forth.

My only complaint is that the plumbing was rather loud. I couldn't tell if it was from next door or the room above, but we could hear every flush.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Loved the walls that opened to make the entire restaurant open to the summer air! Yummy yummy fish tacos too!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife and I spent just one night in this lovely establishment choosing the Picasso room from the few that were availble. Although wonderfully furnished and decorated with a clear Picasso theme, the room was a bit small and the bathroom even smaller. Never the less the Inn is otherwise perfect and the breakfast buffet well prepared and tasty. The Inn's location on Butler provides ready walking access to shops, restaurants and the river front.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ron B
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the Wickwood Inn for two nights while attending a wedding in Saugatuck this weekend. The reception was friendly and efficient. We were given a brief tour of the public areas (delightful) and retired to our room (The Lodge) to unpack. Our room was spacious and well appointed. We loved the fresh flowers at bedside and in the sitting area. The bathroom is small but served us well during our stay. Due to our commitments we were not able to avail ourselves of the wine and hors d'oeuvres in the evening. Breakfast on both mornings was splendid, and the service was classy. The location is ideal for that stroll around downtown Saugatuck. We did not meet Julie (not our reason for staying there), but Nancy and Betty and the team excelled in all departments and I hope we have a reason to go back again!

Room Tip: If we go back we will request The Lodge again.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick M
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We just left The Wickwood after four wonderful days and while I feel like keeping it all a secret, I'm bursting and must tell all.EVERYONE who enjoys quality needs to experience this gem of a property. We have visited Saugatuck many times and could never get a reservation at Wickwood as we were always booking too late. Now I will never stay elsewhere.
Where to begin...the warm welcome, the warm chocolate chip , the ginger tea.....cookies, the chocolate cupcakes...I could wax enthusiastically on and on. Of course I have Julee Russo's cookbooks and so have been a fan for years, but to be served her recipes day after day is heaven.We chatted with Julee twice during our stay and in person she is one in a million. Her excitement about good food permeates every conversation,and just by talking with her I learned so much! Everything we tasted during our stay was simply superb.
Our room, The Lodge , was our haven of serenity and we were torn between wanting to spend time time there and returning to some of our favorite haunts, Salt of The Earth, Clearbrook, and The Brewery. This time we discovered Petter Wine Gallery and Virtue Cider. This town keeps getting better. But, back to our room. It had a fire place, with arm chairs alongside, a sitting area with a couch for reading and a four poster bed with a feather bed that I had trouble getting out of in the morning. But we had to to go out and walk off some ounces so that we could begin the day with the hearty homemade breakfast that varied everyday and was always filled with more choices than we could enjoy. No wonder Wickwood is always booked.
We must compliment the entire Staff of Wickwood here but, I will be writing to Julee personally about our visit as well. This is simply an outstanding escape from our everyday world that our gratitude must be noted. As we left we made our reservations for a weekend in October,and I can't wait!

Room Tip: The Lodge is the perfect room. There is plenty of space, it is gorgeous and very quiet. We felt ve...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
Hampton Inn Holland
#12 of 19 in Saugatuck
Twin Oaks Inn
Twin Oaks Inn
#1 of 19 in Saugatuck

Been to Wickwood Inn? Share your experiences!