“Wish I would have known about Penny's before”
Review of Penny's Kitchen

Penny's Kitchen
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Penny's Kitchen is located in the Downtown District across from War Memorial Hospital. Follow the signs to the hospital and you will find us.We have seating for 100 patrons. We have a full bakery of house made desserts and a full coffee house. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. We have a bar serving beer and wine.
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I went to Penny's for the first time a short while ago and I have to say I was pretty impressed. I expected a small cafe but it is actually a good size, plenty of seating, and has a nice cafe atmosphere. The breakfast menu was refreshing, offering choices not seen in most restaurants in Soo, Mich. I ordered some type of southern omelette (can't remember the exact name) which was very good and was served promptly. The only suggestion i would make is to do away with the store bought guacamole and make it fresh. I am looking forward to going back and trying the sandwhiches for lunch some time - they have a chalkboard abover the counter with a huge assortment of sandwhich choices.

1  Thank PlasmaXX

Reviewed 14 February 2013

A giant and varied menu. Huge and delicious sourdough pancakes. Vegetarian options. My favorite was the Chef's Choice breakfast croissant.

Contrary to the reviewer below, I thought that the staff was friendly, and the food was fantastic.
The quality and attention to detail was surprising. Yes, it costs a bit more than the numerous greasy spoons around town, but you can't find scratch-made food of this quality and variety in the Soo. I came back three more times during a 10 day business trip. I will go out of my way next time.

Penny's Kitchen could survive in a city like Ann Arbor. You locals need to appreciate this place.

Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

I have been here several times. It is my first stop when I want a good sandwich and soup lunch. Never disappoints. Although, I did go once with a boyfriend and the waitress stood at our table flirting with him for an extremely long time, it was humiliating. I almost walked out. But then I realized she must have been awful desperate. It is now a funny story I tell. About the desperate waitress trying to pick up my date over lunch while I was at the table. She was unsuccessful.

1  Thank Rbommarito
Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

My son had sourdough pancakes with blueberries and almonds. They were the size of a large plate.

I had a croissant stuffed with scrambled eggs and lots of veggies.

Great menu, just wish they served real maple syrup and real juice for kids.

1  Thank GerryKirk
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We always look forward to breakfast and coffee at Penny's Kitchen.
One visit and you will become another fan of this place.
Highly recommended !!