“Cancelled my reservation and closed for the season”
Review of Longships Motel

Longships Motel
Milan, Michigan
“Cancelled my reservation and closed for the season”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We really wanted to stay here because of the location and made a reservation about a week or two before the trip. Two days before our arrival, already well into the trip, I got an email telling me that the motel decided to close for the season and we would have to stay somewhere else. While I did appreciate their offer to help me find other accommodations, I was very upset that they accepted my reservation in the first place if there was any doubt about being open when I arrived. If I had not had my laptop/smartphone with me to check my email, I would have shown up to a closed motel, late at night in a new city, and not known what to do. Knowing that some senior citizens do not travel with technology, this could have been a bad situation for a customer not as well prepared as I was. As it was, I got online while still in Traverse City and booked at the Ramada down the street from Longships for about $25 more. The location of this motel was incredibly close to the locks. But that's about all I can say except I was very disappointed at the abrupt change of plans in the middle of our vacation.

Room Tip: Beware of making a reservation online for mid-October without a Plan B "just in case".
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Location is the key word to this Mom Pop motel. It is located directly across from the Sault Locks. For the serious ship watcher..what could be better? You can feel the freighters come in..like a low vibration and you can run across the street to view from the sidewalk or enter the viewing park (when it's open). It is nothing fancy. It is clean. The couple that manage are great folks. We have always found it to be quiet. The coffee pot is on, starting at 8am. And the coffee is great! I always mean to find out their brand. But guess we're too busy freighter watching and sipping.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
St. Clair Shores, MI
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed in early October. Our room was very quaint and neat and clean. No musty smell, although one of the owners showed us some other rooms for future booking, and there was a musty smell to one of these rooms, but nothing that would turn us away had we had one of those rooms. The shower is highly serviceable, not too small if you are of average weight and height. Outdated? Yes, the TV is not a flat-screen, nor is there satellite service. If you require these amenities, please go the Ramada, right in the same area. For a nice, comfortable, and cozy little place with very easy access to the locks, this is a fine place to stay. The staff was cordial and pleased to see us, you could hear the boats entering and leaving the locks, and the town was full of UP hospitality. The mini fridge in our room was probably our only qualm, as it froze our waters, even on the medium setting. All in all, however, we were perfectly pleased with our stay and intend on staying here again in the future, as well as recommending this place to others.

Room Tip: The only room with a view facing the locks is Room #1 with two beds and VERY difficult to reserve...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is an old fashioned motor inn that has not been updated in over 30 years. Bathroom was tiny and it was impossible to take a shower without bumping walls. Musty smell. Freighter blasts during night did not really disturb us. Great location across from locks and you can walk most anywhere in town. Some rooms looked nicer than others.

Room Tip: If you are fussy about having a more modern room - go elsewhere and be prepared to pay more.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed here for two night on our way through Michigan and the UP. It's a nice, well-kept, funky little mom and pop kind of place--with super helpful staff and GREAT location. The one little unexpected local "treat" was the big ship that let loose with a major whistle blast in the wee hours of who-knows-when. Both of us levitated off the mattress!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My husband and I booked the motel online before actually seeing it. Bad move for this place. When we arrived, the office smelled disgusting and the person there had no idea we had even booked a room online. Luckily, or rather as we discovered, unluckily, they had a room for us. However, the moment you walked into the room we were blown away by the musty smell. We turned on the air conditioner and opened the door. We then decided we needed to say something. Then I looked at my paperwork and we were listed to have a different room. We went to the front desk and told them about how our room smelled and that the bathroom was dirty. She insisted it was very clean, but agreed to show us a different room. This one did not smell as bad, but there was dirt on the bathroom floor and the carpet had spots all over it. She claimed it must be from the people that went in to take a look earlier that day. She then showed us another one. This one was significantly better, did not smell, and looked more like the picture we saw online. Had we not already made the arrangements and had been locked into paying we would have stayed somewhere else. Absolutely awful, disgusting experience. Would not want anyone to have to go through what we did. Their definition of "clean" up there is not the same as ours. Was a real downer to the start of our vacation.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, the rooms closes to the office seem to be kept up better. That's...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica S
Indiana
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I'm not sure why this motel is listed as a BB/ Inn, as it is a good old-fashioned motor court type of place. That being said, I guess it depends on how you feel about old-fashioned motels, as to how happy you may be here, as it is what it is, but don't be afraid of the place. It's well maintained and the owner's pride of ownership shows almost everywhere, but the rooms are small and some of the furnishings could use re-finishing, if not replaced. There was no iron/ironing board or coffee maker in the room (where would you put them?) but there was coffee offered at the office at 8:00 a.m. (Maybe 6:30 would be better?) and the room had a mini-fridge which was nice. The place is clean, cute, reasonably priced, and especially well located, and I have the impression that it is owned by "good people" and attracts the same, so I certainly recommend it to anyone not put off by the dated nature of the place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank BusterB8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sault Ste. Marie
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Ojibway
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Oj...
#8 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Hampton Inn Sault Ste Marie
Hampton Inn Sault Ste Marie
#2 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault Ste. Marie Waterfront
Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault S...
#4 of 23 in Sault Ste. Marie
#1 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
No photo provided
Mid-City Motel
#17 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie

Been to Longships Motel? Share your experiences!