“Great hotel and venue. Food & food service poor”

Kewadin Casinos Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

We got an amazing deal to stay at this great location! Great room with a couch and very clean. We really enjoyed the room but the food and the service around the food was disappointing. We attempted to eat in the bar and the service was very slow!
The venue seemed under staffed for the amount of guests booked in the hotel. With a large group of clientele who enjoying drinks they should have staffed the bars a little stronger. The salad and soup bar was great but the dinner menu was subpar. Otherwise the hotel was great!

• Stayed: January 2013
Michelle B, Public Relations Manager at Kewadin Casinos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Hello! Thanks for sending us your feedback. I'd like to look into the problems you had dining at our Sault property. What night were you staying and what time did you go to eat? In the meantime, we are looking into how we can improve this service for you and others. I can be reached at info@kewadin.com.

Again, thanks for your post!

Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

the parking lot is a little confusing. we tried finding the lot that brought you to the hotel doors so we didn't have to lug our bags across the hotel but couldn't so we just parked on the side where the casino was.

the hotel is wonderful!! looks amazing inside. love that there's so much you can do and don't have to leave the hotel. (casino, concerts, bars...) the room was pretty clean. we've stayed in smoking rooms and non smoking before, both were clean and the pillows are great!! check in was quick and easy. only 85$ each time we've gone which is pretty good compared to hotels across the bridge.

• Stayed: July 2012

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay!! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Stayed for a one night business trip. The parking lot is quite a distance away. Across the access road, over a long wood foot bridge and down the sidewalk to the lot. The front desk staff was friendly, professional, and efficient. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet.

Casino was fine but every dealer except one was unfriendly and appered to want to be anywhere but at the table dealing. A lot of the fun in a casino is the interaction with other gamblers, and of course the dealer. Not fun! A bunch of grumpy, uninterested dealers that think it is cool to flipp your cards as high as they can and have them land in front of you. Nothing like any other casino and would choose any other casino in the state for a more enjoyable time.

Ate a whitefish sandwich at the bar and found it to be less than average. The BCS National championship game was going to be on and there was no good place to watch at the casino. Asked the female bartender for a recomondation of where to go and watch the game and she said, "I think the bowling alley has a TV".... Went back to the front desk and they had tons of suggestions that turned out great. They ordered us a cab and away we went.

Hotel was comfortable but would stay away from the casino, not much excitement in there and the staff was miserable!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Michelle B, Public Relations Manager at Kewadin Casinos Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Thank you for your comments about your recent visit. I do apologize for the service you received. I would like to learn more about when you visited so the issues you mentioned can be specifically addressed. If you would like, please e-mail me at info@kewadin.com or call at 906-635-7732. Again, my apologies.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband and I have stayed here many, many times since the early 1990's, they have some great offers if you go on-line, and interestingly enough, the website offers sometimes require you to call the hotel to receive the offer....in April, 2012, we got a room for less than $60, we both received $10 in free play for each of us, each day we were there, plus once we accumulated a certain number of points on our player's club card, we each got $15 vouchers for the gas station across the street from the casino (you can buy gas, snacks, etc, but no alcohol)....and we got free hot dogs because it was American Day (Wednesday)!!
We were there 2 weeks ago and my husband's name was called (have to have a Player's card) and he won a random $50!
The hotel is generic and clean.....plus, it's nice and convenient if you like to gamble....we generally don't eat at their restaurant/buffet, tho...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012 via mobile

This casino hotel is smokey and noisy. Even though the room was non-smoking, the rest of the building is so smoke filled that you just can't get away from it. The rooms obviously have no soundproofing, as we were kept awake all night by noise from the hallway, the next room, and the parking lot.
The room was clean and nicely decorated, but I would suggest if you are coming to town for the casino, stay at a hotel in town and take the free casino shuttle back and forth. The shuttle drivers are friendly locals who are happy to recommend things to see and do.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Andeli1
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I'm very much on the fence about this place after having stayed here in recent months for business twice. The place, as a whole, is really very nice. Not overly crowded, ample parking and a pretty nice location. Great aesthetics. The rooms - that's where the jury's still out. My first stay was a room with a king bed. Plenty of room and there was a sitting area with a loveseat/coffee table and a desk/chairs. The room itself was clean - the bathroom, not so much. Had I noticed it when I first checked in, I might have asked for a different room. It was half-cleaned, with soap scum from a bar of soap on the ledge in the tub and rings from where someone's shampoo had been sitting... among other icky things. First time I've ever cleaned a bathroom in a hotel room! The second room had two queen beds with a chair in the corner and the desk/chairs. It seems that the rooms were the same overall size. Room #2's bathroom was just fine but the carpeted floors in the main part of the room left something to be desired. There was one desk chair I refused to sit on and the (carpeted) floor had some sticky spots. Good reminder that you never know what's been on the floors so always wear socks, shoes or slippers! I'm very sensitive to air handling/ air conditioning / heating systems that aren't working well (red eyes in the morning & all stuffed up) - but it was A-OK in both rooms. Neither had an exhaust fan in the bathroom.

I'm a big fan of comfy beds and pillows - the beds were sufficient but pillows not so much... they were somewhere between travel-sized and standard; and just really not very comfortable. Larger gap at the bottom of the door leading out to the hall, so you can hear pretty much everything going on (as can they hear you in your room). Front desk staff was "eh" both times. Not much enthusiasm from what I experienced. Restaurants/places to eat inside the hotel were decent and reasonably priced. I've seen better buffets but it was adequate. There's a little place tucked into the main hallway across from the gift shop that serves burgers and things like that - little pricy but good food and very friendly people behind the counter. Great conference center upstairs! Casino - not so easy to find when I was there the first time! There is gaming on both sides of the hallways at the opposite end of the front desk so be sure to check both places out. There is also a little windowed "nook" towards the middle of the place, down near the restaurants.

Can't say how good your return will be on the gambling as I didn't play very much. They are currently offering $10 per day in "free play" money. Might as well give it a try! Price-wise, I can't attest to that as I was traveling on business and I'm not sure of the regular rates. Overall, I would probably recommend this place as most people staying there are probably coming for the casino - and won't spend much time in their rooms. And I'm overly picky when it comes to some things, so take the time to read as many reviews as you can before making a decision.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Trina R
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice and for a casino hotel in the U P it's very nice. Rates are ok, rooms are decent size. Food was very good. Great drink specials. The only thing is the parking for the hotel is a bit strange. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
#11 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Ojibway
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Oj...
#8 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#10 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#11 of 23 in Sault Ste. Marie

Been to Kewadin Casinos Hotel? Share your experiences!