“Great Location”

Askwith Lockview Motel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Recently stayed at the Lockview Motel and it was a great experience. It is very unique. It is a old time two story Motel and small "cottages". They pack a lot in the space. The location is great. It is right across from the locks and on the main street of town. You can run over and see a ship in the locks anytime. We also enjoyed having our car so close to our room. It was great to load and unload. The rooms are adequate but not fancy. They were super clean and the cleaning staff always talked to us about our arrivals and departures. They were the best. We blew up a pop in the mini fridge and told them about it and they cleaned it that day. They were probably the best cleaning staff ever! The breakfast was average but they did have lot of choices. I would have liked real cream instead of the powdered stuff. There was any fresh fruit. My biggest complaint was the lack of shampoo. No big deal, but a mess if you don't have it in the morning. Just bring some and you'll be fine. I bought a big cheap bottle at a gas station and left it. It was just an inconvenience. The bathroom was a little small, but not a big deal. Overall this was a great place to stay and I would stay again. It was a great value too. The place was the only hotel packed with cars every night so this says it all.

Room Tip: I loved the cottages.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I usually don't go with the smaller local motels, but I took the chance on this one due to it's location directly across from the Soo Locks.
I will tell you now that I was very impressed with the well kept and maintained units, exceptionally clean rooms and professional staff.
I would recommend the Lockview to everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the detached "cabin" type rooms. We had our car directly outside of o...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

On a quick work trip I was looking for a hotel for the night. Driving down the main strip I saw this clean and picturesque looking motel. I called them and they had one room left. Only $86 included coffee and breakfast. No parking costs and a Comfy and clean room. Walked to shops and dinner. Watched a freight ship come in and listened to a band play in the park. Excellent choice to stay here.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Nina R
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We were nervous about staying in privately owned motel, but we took it a chance because it was only for one night. We are so glad we did! We stayed in Cottage 123 which was very clean and accommodated our family of 4 very nicely. It definitely isn't fancy, but it is well kept and suited our needs perfectly. When we got there, we saw a gentleman power washing the outside of the cottages. The staff couldn't have been friendlier and gave us tips of things to do in the area. The cottage had personality with flowerbaskets hanging outside the doors. Only cons were older TV and LOW showerhead! Tall people will need to make adjustments. The WIFI was a little slow as well.

The location was wonderful, directly across from the Soo locks. We were able to walk across the street and check out the boats when they came in and enjoyed being so close to everything. There was a nice restaurant right next door and plenty of stores, fudge / ice cream shops, and restaurants within walking distance.

We were so glad we stayed here and would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The cottages were very cute and seemed a little bigger than the hotel rooms. We were in 123 which g...
1  Thank Heatherswaenepoel
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Judy was absolutely wonderful! She was gracious to this weary traveler. She was helpful with eateries as well as directions to destination spots. When I had to make changes in my travel plans she was understanding and very willing to assist. The hotel was very clean and sweet!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

As previous review has stated, I was not sure what to expect with this hotel. Upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised.
We stayed in room 115, which is a cottage. It was very nice and clean. We were very happy with the bed comfort as well as the room size. The hotel does offer free wifi in the room.
The hotel was across the street from the welcome center and the observation deck looking over the locks.
It was in the middle of the shopping and the restaurants. The location could not be beat.
The hotel does offer a continental breakfast. In my opinion, based on my eating habits, it lacked choices for me and my wife. Not a big deal, as we do not book hotels based on the breakfast. The breakfast consisted of bagels, muffins, sweet rolls. It also had cereal options as well as oatmeal. There was no fresh fruit (apple, banana, peaches, grapes, cherries). Coffee and juice was also included.
However, if we were to return to the locks we would definitely stay at this hotel.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Wasn't sure what to expect with this mom and pop accommodations? Upon arrival we first noticed how very well kept, colorful, and clean it was. Very friendly when we checked in and our room was ready. Upon opening our door to our surprised our room was quite spacious nicely decorated updated, but most notably our room was very CLEAN.
The convince of this hotel is outstanding. Located directly across from the entrance way to the Soo Locks visitor center/observation deck. Plenty of shopping on either side of this hotel.
Will definitely return!!

Room Tip: Request a cabin room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends