“Great place to stay when visiting Soo Locks”

Adoba Lockview Hotel
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We have been to this motel three times over the last 30 years and hope to keep returning. They are located directly across from the Locks and you can walk anywhere in town. The rooms are large enough, very clean and very comfortable. This is an older motel, obviously, but has been updated. The staff is all very friendly. Free breakfast is available in the morning, but the area is rather small and was always crowded, so we chose to go next door to a restaurant. This motel is a good value for the money.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2010

Right when we pulled in to check in, we were welcomed with the most warm staff.. It was like you had known them forever. The rooms were spacious and the hotel was a great location. And to top it all off, we were treated to a wonderful breakfast!! Definitely a place I would stay in again when I come back to the Sault.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Cheri22
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Should have gone with my gut instinct and shyed away, however after reading several reviews on TripAdvisor and seeing the ranking the motel had received I thought it might be a neat place to stay. I was very clear when I made the reservation that I would have five people in the room - hence we were told that we would be in one of the cottages. Upon arrival I asked about the bedding arrangements and was told that we had two double beds. I inquired about a roll away and was told that they had nothing like that, not even a cot! I was told that the cottages would sleep 5 or 6 - I guess they planned on them sleeping in the chairs or standing up!
The room had a funky smell to it and the bathroom was WAY tiny. While it all looked nice it really wasn't that clean and when it came time to "bed down" our fifth person I used the comforters from the bed (YUCK!) to pad the floor (DOUBLE YUCK!) I was thankful that I had a blanket in the car that I could wrap around the whole thing.
The whole place is really quaint and I thought that it would be a fun experience, however I would NEVER stay there again and certainly wouldn't direct friends or family there. We had to head out very early the next day (before the breakfast was ready) so I can not provide comment on that.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Rinquet
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We stayed in one of the "cottages" and were surprised by their size and pleasant decor. I am guessing they were built in the 50's or 60's but have been nicely updated. In addition to the frig, table/chairs, and king-sized bed, there was a very comfortable recliner. My only criticism would be the "quaint" bathroom which was very clean but the decor is clearly still from the 50's. Also it is tiny - were people ever that small? But that really was a minor issue. For the price, compared to other places in town, was a great value! The location is wonderful, directly across from the locks and in the middle of downtown which has lots of tourist shops. BTW - the restaurant of the same name next door (not sure if it is the same owner) is very good for traditional American fare.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dlb3
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Small, clean, beautiful landscaping. Pillow top beds? I don't think so -- hard as a rock. Carpet -- newer but dirty. Non smoking premises -- ok but the residual smell of years of smoke is sadly still there. VERY TINY rooms....bathroom especially. Great downtown location....truly across from a park which is next to the locks. Continental Breakfast is not on par with Holiday Inn Express altho there are several choices. Coffee was better than 'ok'. Would I stay here again. No thanks. The owners have done alot with the small rooms but the bathrooms are really too small.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank PineappleGirl53
Reviewed 19 July 2010

My husband and I stayed in one of the cottages at this motel last night and were very pleased. The price of the room was just $88 including tax. The room was very clean, and looked like it had been updated somewhat (bedding & furniture looked relatively new, as did the bathroom). Overall, much nicer than most other "motels" we've stayed at. We are very picky when it comes to choosing motels/hotels and we give this place an A+! It is conveniently located right across the street from the Locks park, and along a strip of gift shops that are open late (we stayed on a Sunday and the shops were still open at 8:30pm). The restaurant right next door is very good, the beds were comfortable, A/C worked great.... can't complain! The only "bad" thing we noticed was the very low shower head, as another reviewer mentioned. I am only 5'5" and had to duck to get under the water! Also, there is no Wi-Fi in the rooms, but you can get it in the office and the owners welcome you to sit in the breakfast area with your laptop if you'd like. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ashleyandlee
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stayed in one of their cottage rooms with a king-size bed. The room itself was big enough, but the bathroom was a bit cramped. The toilet is up against the wall and it made it hard for me to sit comfortably (I am 6'2") . The water coming out of the showerhead hit me in the bellybutton, but there was plenty of water pressure. Their breakfast was nothing spectacular, but it was fine to start the morning off with. There are only a few small tables to sit at, so you will more than likely end up taking your food back to your room. There in no wireless connectivity in the area and there is no internet hookup in the room. While you are right across the street from the locks, you cannot see them from your room. If you are going to spend the majority of your time on Portage Ave., then staying at the Lockview is a good deal and the price is definitely right. $70 bucks a night is cheap in my opinion. However, SSM is a pretty small town, all in all. If you are looking for more creature comforts, then I would suggest staying off of I-75 in one of the many chain hotels. The people working at the hotel that I encountered were all very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple