“First trip to Sault Ste. Marie”
Review of Plaza Motor Motel

Plaza Motor Motel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Dixon, Illinois
“First trip to Sault Ste. Marie”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I read numerous reviews about this motel on TripAdvisor and was not disappointed. It was clean, the staff was very friendly, the rooms are very nice and clean. My daughters had never stayed in a "motel" before, so they were uncertain. My wife was even giving me a hard time about it, but in the end she even said how handy it was to load/unload right from the back of the van straight into the room. We stayed in the end room closest to the Walmart. I could hear some noise from cars, but it was minimal and not disturbing. I will return to the Plaza on my next trip to SSM.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We normally stay across the street from the locks. Wish this place was across the street from the locks we would stay there all the time. The Plaza was very welcoming. We arrived quite late and had reservations. Our room was left open for us and the key was inside. We settled up the next morning. Beautifully decorated rooms with stencils, pictures, homey and cozy like I imagine a bed and breakfast would be. Reasonably priced also. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carol B
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I rented a room at the Plaza Motor Motel for my parents to stay at when they came up this past weekend. They have stayed at every chain hotel in the Soo and this "mom & pop" place blew all of those out of the water. The room was well decorated and very clean. It had some nice amenities such as a mini-fridge, microwave, new flat-screen tv, iphone charger/alarm clock, and Wolfgang Puck coffee for the morning. It's a park-at-the-door place so you don't have to worry about kids running up and down the hallways at 3am. The only downsides I could even come up with are there is no pool and no continental breakfast. However, for under $60, the price was $20 cheaper than anywhere else that day. Throw in the free casino package and I challenge anyone to find a better deal in the Soo than this place.

You won't be disappointed you stayed here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SourKrout87
Manchester, Michigan
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The hotel is well taken care of and the hospitality is fine. We arrived and our room was ready. In asking staff some questions as where to eat we obtained sound answers. Not the typical they are all good or some place they obtain a kick back on.

Room Tip: The hotel is on the south side and can be missed if you are not looking for it. So pay attention.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Grandville, Michigan
Reviewed 29 December 2013

When visiting our granddaughter I looked up Tripadvisor to find a good place to stay. We choose the Plaza Motel based on the reviews. We made the right choice. The Plaza is a locally owned and a well cared for motel. Our room was very clean and tastefully furnished. This is an older property well built, well maintained and updated. We could park by the our door and the grounds are really nice. There is no breakfast but you do have coffee in the room. At the great price for the room this is not an issue, lots of dining down the street. The owner is very friendly and helpful. We will return to this property every time we travel to the SOO.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Laughgram
Bowling Green, Ohio
Reviewed 19 December 2013

On a recent trip, my wife and I had the best night's sleep of our entire journey at this motel. The room was large, tastefully furnished, exceptionally clean, and featured one of the most comfortable beds that I have had the pleasure of using. You can park right at your door and, while there is no food service on site, there are numerous dining options located near-by. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 12 November 2013

If you are looking for a clean, economical room, you will be more than pleased with the Plaza Motor Motel, When hubby told me the rate, I expected mediocrity. I can honestly say that I've never stayed in a hotel/motel room so clean. It was so immaculate that I found myself trying to find something, anything and couldn't. I left my largest tip ever for the housekeeping staff!

The rooms are decorated more in B&B style than motel and include a refrig, microwave, and flat screen TV. My husband, the light sleeper, appreciated how quiet the rooms were--no road noise, no noise from the adjoining room. The beds were very comfortable.

We stayed three nights in February and appreciated being able to park right outside our room. At 4 degrees at 7:00 am, it's nice to be steps away for the door-to-car-door dash. Everywhere we went had high piles of snow and ice on the sidewalks, but not so at the Plaza. Even the parking lot passed inspection. The only downside is the lack of a restaurant, but the positives far outweigh this. I would recommend this spot to my pickiest friends without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Best Western Sault Ste. Marie
Best Western Sault Ste. Marie
#3 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Ojibway
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Oj...
#8 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
#10 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Quattro Hotel & Conf. Centre, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Quattro Hotel & Conf. Centre, an...
#1 of 23 in Sault Ste. Marie
Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault Ste. Marie Waterfront
Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault S...
#5 of 23 in Sault Ste. Marie

Been to Plaza Motor Motel? Share your experiences!