“OK, Nees Udates.”

Hometown Inn and Suites
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed one night in August. It is right off the expressway. There is a strip mall right behind it and an Applebee's next door.

I was warmly greeted at the front desk and was quickly checked in. The room needs to be redone and updated. They still have the old style TV. They have not updated to a flat screen. It did a fridge but it did not work. It had a micro wave but I did not try it. The room has seen its better days and needs to be updated.

They did not put my invoice under the door in the morning even thought I am a member of their chain. I had to wait 15 minutes at the front desk to check out. This is more than unacceptable. I had a meeting to attend and really do not want to wait. A guy in front of me had a problem and it took forever. Only one person at the desk. They need to correct this.

I do not think I will return.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Comfort4404, General Manager at Hometown Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2014

I'm very sorry that your stay was anything less than perfect. You are correct that the hotel was in need of some maintenance and updating and those projects are now underway. In order to uphold the Choice Hotels standard we are making many improvements to the property and guest rooms. All new bedding and beds will be in place this fall, guest rooms will be given a complete overhaul by removing the wallpaper and replacing it with a textured surface, new flat screen TVs in the guest rooms, carpet in the guest rooms and public areas will be updated, and our lobby will be streamlined in order to make the check-in and check-out process smoother for our guests. Currently this property does not offer the express-checkout, however this will change after our renovations. We sincerely hope that you will return so that we can show you the improvements we've made.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had to make a last minute reservation in the area and they were happy to accommodate. With mixed reviews I was a little skeptical but there were few choices for a last minute decision. I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel staff was very nice and went out of their way to make the stay enjoyable.

The hotel has gone through some renovations in the past and has been kept up fairly well for the most part. We had a room in the original part of the hotel and it was somewhat updated and seemed clean. There seemed to be two sections to the hotel, the original front half and a newer addition to the rear. It looked like there were some issues in the building of the addition and they had some of the ceiling tiles off looking for leaks or problems. It was a minimal concern and did not affect the stay.

Beds were comfortable, the hallways quiet and breakfast was nice, They ran out of a few things and it was easy to see why. The morning desk clerk was working by herself, she had to share time between the front desk and the breakfast area. Some of the morning help were late so she did the best she could considering the situation.

The hotel is located near a few others, about 3 miles or so from the locks and close to some nearby shopping and restaurants.

Overall we had a nice stay and would consider staying here again if in the area. Prices were a little steep for what you received. I rarely stay at this chain, the facilities seemed average, the staff were great. Reading the previous guest comments and managements replies it does look like they understand the problems and are working to get things on track for the future and I wish them good luck.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

There is nothing good to say about this hotel except for the great girls at the front desk.

It is run down and obviously has had no maintenance since it was built in the 70's. The room was 125.00 a night and it wasn't worth any more than 39.00 a night. The bed was hard and bottom sheet didn't stay on, no mattress pad, wall paper peeling off, cracked and stained bathroom sink.............internet was too slow to use

Can't really comment on the breakfast since the room was filled with the owners entire family leaving no room for the paying guests.

DON'T STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: Here's my tip.........don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Comfort4404, Manager at Hometown Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

We appreciate your comments regarding the hotel. Please be aware that the property is under new management as of the first of June and renovations are being scheduled for this fall. We are very sorry that your stay was less than perfect and we welcome the chance to show you the changes we've made.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have stayed here many times in the past and this will be our last visit. Some construction in the hallways gave it an urban warfare look. Elevator out of order, ice machine out of order. Many items out at breakfast and nobody at the front desk at checkout. Discomfort Inn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Comfort4404, General Manager at Hometown Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding the property.

Please be aware that the hotel is under new management and I am working to correct many of the issues that have been neglected. We are scheduled to begin renovations this fall which will address a wide range of concerns. We hope to have our property at or above Choice Standards by early spring. We'd love to have the chance to show you the improvements when we're finished so we hope you reconsider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

As of spring, 2014, this property is no longer part of the Choice Hotel chain. That's why they do not show up on the Choice.com website. They answer the phone "Sault Saint Marie Comfort Inn", as compared to "Comfort Inn" in the past, but are not part of that chain any more. I stay here 10-12 times per year and will do so in the near future and will write a review at that time. I even got a call last week from Choice Hotels advising me of this change. I called the hotel and re-confirmed my reservation and was told other than this "everything's the same". We'll see..The rooms and rates were always fine, but the hot breakfast just so-so.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

I do apologize for the less than perfect representation of our property. I would like to verify that, due to a clerical error, our property was not listed through Choice Hotels for a short period of time. Please feel free to verify that this situation has been rectified. The hotel will also be undergoing renovations this fall to improve the experience for our guests.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have stated at this hotel several times on business over the last year I have noticed ever increase decline in service including the front desk. Staff and poor breakfast . They are no longer part of the choice program so I can book on line nor do I receive any reward points. I could not cancel my current reservation on line so I called the desk to do so. When asked why I was canceling I mention that issue with them no longer being in the program and until they are I will not be returning. "the response from the front desk was "THATS OK" this attitude may be part of the problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Daniel B

I would like to verify that, for a brief time, we were not on the Choice Hotels website for online bookings. Due to a clerical error which has been rectified we slipped from the Choice line. All reservations in our system were still honored and all points were still given for the stay during this brief interruption.

As for the "That's OK" response from our desk staff, that was completely unacceptable! The property owner had expressed an interest in fixing certain issues so new management was brought in and some of the staff are being re-trained or replaced. Renovations to the property are planned for early fall as well.

I sincerely hope you give us the opportunity in the future to host your stay in the area and improve on your past experience. Feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask for the General Manager if you would like to discuss this matter further. (906) 635-1118

Reviewed 29 May 2014

the hotel is next a shopping plaza and food courts. Good for short stay. Heater works fine and its quiet inside. The staff are friendly. The breakfast is fine and coffee always available. and of course there us an indoor clean swimming pool

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business