“Easily the Worst Experience I've Ever had with a Motel”

Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Easily the Worst Experience I've Ever had with a Motel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have a significant disability and must have a handicapped accessible room. I made reservations THROUGH THE DAYS INN WEBSITE via the Wyndham Rewards website a month in advance of our arrival date. When my wife went to check in she was told there were no handicapped rooms available and blamed the website for the problem assuming that it was something like Orbitz. She showed my wife an "upgraded" regular room that had a Jacuzzi something I can't use. My wife came and got me and I brought the printed confirmation from the Days Inn website. The on-duty manage had come out and I showed it to her. She blamed Wyndham saying that they had issued the upgrade. She then said "Sorry about that" and offered to call other motels, none of which had accessible rooms available by that time of day. Having little choice we took the offered room. I will say that were provided with a raised portable toilet seat which unfortunately was of little help and it was touch and go to see if between my wife and myself I could get up from the toilet since there were no grab bars. I also could not use the standard tub because the sides were too high for me to enter and exit safely and of course the Jacuzzi was as useful as the proverbial teats on a bull.

I must say that the room was very nice, clean and well-maintained. The bed was comfortable and I'd have slept well enough if it weren't for the anxiety accompanying wondering how I'd cope with my morning toilet needs. So, why did this happen? I have two hypotheses. One - rank incompetence. Two - I used Wyndham points to secure the room for free. Possibly the Sault Ste. Marie Days Inn had the chance to rent it for the going rate while having several Jacuzzi rooms empty - thus the upgrade. Having talked with the Wyndham Rewards rep I know that they still had us in a handicapped accessible room despite the claims made by the night manager.

Basically, I was treated by the staff of the Days Inn as a major inconvenience clearly not worth the trouble it would take to find out what caused the problem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Samantha A, General Manager at Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
We were unsure of what had happened however usually with online bookings you do not get a choice as to what room or level you want. It's usually a firt com first serve basis. We were trying to find you another room because we wanted you to have the room you wanted and needed to fit your needs. We were trying to do all we could for you when you got here and the issues were brought to our attention. We are very sorry for the inconvience this may have caused you and will do our best to make sure it doesn't happen agian.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

The property looks dated, everything is about average, not great but not bad. We had a first floor room, a little noisy from foot traffic, especially from kids running down the hallway. The complimentary breakfast was just so so, seating was limited, it got so crowded that we had to take our food back to the room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Samantha A, General Manager at Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
The staff here at the Days Inn hopes you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Boyne City, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Myself, my spouse and our youngest grandchild stayed here on a recent overnight trip and booked a first floor room--on their website. When we arrived I found out that there were no rooms available on the first floor and that they had absolutely no idea that I had requested one. The facilities were comfortable and the pool area was clean. The location is great--walk to Walmart!

Room Tip: Call and confirm any and all requests. Further, expect the unexpected.