All reviews freighters restaurant soo locks an older building bit dated downtown area great lakes front desk clerk staff was friendly marie sault vintage ships gift mi ontario
Reviewed 12 June 2018

The Ramada Ojibway's 6th floor jacuzzi suite is the best place to see freighters and enjoy an anniversary... the Victorian inspired room was romantic and try the stuffed whitefish in their Freighters Restaurant... yummy!

Room Tip: The 6th Floor jacuzzi suite is the bomb. Quiet, except for the freighter horns which is why we visited the Soo to begin with.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosemary S
Reviewed 24 May 2018

.Christmas present from husband. wonderful, old hotel. room was immaculate. it would be nice to have breakfast included. ,$9 for an egg is too much. husband thought a ramp,to parking would be good. great,to see freighters

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbf58_13
Reviewed 12 May 2018

We spent two nights here and were delighted with our newly refurbished room on the 6th Floor looking towards the Soo Locks Park. The public rooms are lovely and have been refurbished too, as necessary. This hotel is under new management which is determined to lift the hotel's reputation that has suffered somewhat due to past neglect. The restaurant is beautiful with great value food especially the amazingly cheap and delicious Prime Rib. We got vouchers for free appetizers but could not eat it all. Again the restaurant has suffered with its reputation but now deserves to be better patronised than it is. We have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and its restaurant (for breakfast and lunch or dinner!).

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank johnash
Reviewed 17 April 2018

This is an old hotel that has a lot of charm and the location by the locks can't be beat. We found the rooms comfy and a bit outdated. We had 8 rooms for a family trip to enjoy Engineers day at the locks. We found the hotel location to be perfect and often used their large comfy lobby area as our gathering place for outings. We enjoyed it very much. However, at this time the hotel charged our credit card each month for several months and kept doubling the room numbers. Eventually, we had an entire block and well over $5000 charged to our credit card. With that said we vowed never to stay there or at another Ramada Inn. Trying to get our money back was a nightmare. Not only did they rack up charges on our card until we shut it down, they also added extra charges to each occupants card while we were there. The rooms were "prepaid" reservations only so they had been paid for already several times over!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2018

The room looked nice, but ours had 2 double beds that were secured and unmovable. Both were accessible by only one side as the other side was against the wall. Each bed was as different as night night and day, one soft and lumpy the other quite firm. This matched the pillows. 6 of them in the room and no 2 alike. I am writing this at 3 am because I cannot possibly lay there for another hour.
The room temperature is controlled by an ancient wall thermostat that has no real settings expect for hotter. I asked the desk how to cool down the room, it was like 75 in there. She recommended opening a window and using a fan. Luckily I carry a fan for white noise. Window was open nearly entire time at the hotel and it was in the single digits cold.
The bathroom was nice except for the toilet paper is so far away from the toilet you have to get up and get some. Water is nice and hot and the view is nice.
The chairs need something to keep your butt from sinking to the floor. The dressers are old and the drawers didn't have runners. Not enough outlets...bring a fan and a powerstrip. Room has a nice new fridge, I gave it the maiden voyage (cut the tape off the controls and plugged it into the outlet.
Overall the place was not dirty, just unkept. The restaurant hooked to the place is dated but nice, and in general kind of cozy until you get your room. I know they are having trouble and the owner just 4 months ago seized control back from the people managing the place, weeks before being out of business. Food was good at the Freighters but also dated menu. Lori at the desk as well as the lady who was there at night, they were both nice, Lori was great. Avoid the owners. Jekyll and Hyde thing going there, but I guess I can understand their being brash after losing their money to embezzlers. Thankfully we got the room at a discounted price through Priceline. Otherwise I would never have stayed once the owner got snippy about the pool and hot tub being out of order. I was the note on the desk as I was checking in they were down for service. I normally book only rooms where they have those 2 things. I asked if down for maintenance meant they would be back up while we were here. "It does not!" We do need to remodel them SOMETIME you know.!?" I tried to save it by joking it was alright, most hotels hot tubs are not warm enough for me anyway and got a lecture on how they cannot be too warm....blah blah blah. Beginning to see the reason they hire out managers. Anyway, was fun to try, will maybe try again in the future, but there are hicer places cheaper further out from downtown.

Room Tip: If looking for a view of the Sault Locks, 609 has an obscured view in April. I am certain leaves make it poor view.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple