“Very good, not much different than Soe”
Review of Mesa Luna

Mesa Luna
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Sawyer
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Very good, not much different than Soe”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Went on a Friday night. Space has remained very similar - modern and classy. Main dining was 3/4 full, patio and outdoor seating seemed full. Service was good, nothing spectacular. Moscow mule was tasty. Apps were decent - asparagus and spring rolls. My wife had the salmon which she like and I had the white fish sandwich which was also very good. Other couple had chicken schwarma sandwich and flank steak - both really enjoyed it. Desserts were also great. Overall it is good to have a place to go with a slightly different menu that is modern and classy without the pretentious/stuffy environment. We will definitely return.

• Visited June 2014

“Watch your credit card charge”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I charged my dinner and tip on my credit card. They put through the charge twice. Once stating it was their Perch reataurant in New Buffalo and a week later as Mesa Luna. I am still trying to get a refund of the duplicate charge.

1 Thank Howard S
St. Joe, MI
“Mesa Luna rebirth”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

They still offer the garlic custard. That alone is worth a visit. Unlike the first iteration of MesaLuna which was very high end, this is more modestly designed, and less pricey. Very nice menu variety from sandwiches to full plates. They make it easy offering small and full plates. The small are not small, but generous. We had the garlic custard, asparagus soup and a variety of entries. Both the garlic dish and soup were outstanding. People next to us asked about the food. They too ordered the garlic miracle, and thanked us over and over saying we like this too much. Wide variety of wines and beers. Sophisticated, but laid back, a real gem.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank J F M
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Wonderful location, great food, resort ambiance!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

As other reviewers have stated, Mesa Luna is in the same location of the former Soe's Café. Easy to access off of I-94 (exit 12) or the Red Arrow Highway. This new restaurant opened on April 25, 2014 and we visited on May 17, a sunny but cool evening, so the outside dining area was not available. There is a large porch area (I think climate controlled when necessary) and bustling bar. I look forward to visiting them during the summer busy season; it should be hopping! The interior of the main dining room is bright and upscale, but kid friendly. A couple families arrived during our visit. We were presented with a nice wine list and perused the craft beer menu. We started with the highly recommended garlic custard with mushrooms and walnuts appetizer. Spread on crostini, it was unique and fabulous. I tried the fish sandwich and freedom fries. The fish was hot and crispy and the fries are almost as good as my dad's homemade fries, which is saying a lot! My husband ordered the green curry shrimp. A nice portion size with lots of shrimp and presented well. It had good flavor and little heat from the curry. Our total bill was just under $75 which included our bottle of white wine and plenty of good food. We will be going back.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Susan C
“Great New Dining Spot”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Had a lovely dinner experience here last Saturday with my wife. Extraordinarily reasonably price, vibrant atmosphere. Delicious food. Would return here at a moment's notice!!

• Visited May 2014