“A one-woman donut wrecking crew!”
Review of Hello Donuts - CLOSED

Hello Donuts
Chicago
“A one-woman donut wrecking crew!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

There is so much to like about Hello Donuts.

It's a donut shop.

It's an underdog story.

It's cute.

It's social media-savvy.

It's got tons of interesting flavors.

So it pains me to say that of the ten (yes, ten) different donuts I tasted, none really blew me away. I mean, they're pretty good. They definitely don't taste like other donuts. And I think if I hit on a flavor I did like, I would marry it and make donut babies.

Here's the deal. Every day, the super-nice chef posts the next day's flavors on Facebook - facebook.com/HelloDonuts Then you need to check Facebook that morning to see if she's sold out. (She does sell out often.)

Here's my take on the flavors I tasted...

* Bananas Foster - (Bananas, brown sugar, rum) Not a banana fan. I disqualify my opinion here.

* Fluffernutter - (Peanut butter, marshmallow, raised donut) The texture of this is really interesting. It's so soft, almost like a dinner roll. If you like peanut butter and marshmallow (not really my thing), you'd probably love it.

* Wake Up Call - (Chocolate cake donut, espresso glaze) Not a coffee fan. I also disqualify myself.

* Salty Hazel - (Cake donut with a salted Nutella glaze.) I liked this one. The donut was very moist and the Nutella was a good touch. Couldn't really taste the salt, though.

* 21st Birthday - (Whipped Cream vodka glaze and tons of sprinkles!) Too sweet for my tastes.

* Churro - (Dulce de leche swirled cinnamon donut) Big disappointment. A churro is crispy, but this donut was kind of soggy from whatever was used to adhere the cinnamon. Needed way more cinnamon and maybe a dusting of sugar, too.

* Tiramisu - (Espresso-soaked donut with a whipped mascarpone glaze, and a dusting of cocoa.) A delicate treat, but not really my jam.

* Firehouse Breakfast - (Maple glaze, bacon) I liked this one a lot. The bacon was excellent. Wonder if it would have been better chopped up and mixed into the batter instead of sitting on top.

* French Breakfast - (Raised donut, filled with sweet mascarpone cheese and rolled in cinnamon sugar.) This is what the churro donut should have been. Don't be thrown off by the cheese filling. It tastes more like cream. The raspberry on top was a nice touch.

* Summer Shandy - (Bell's Amber Ale, lemonade) I love donuts, Bell's Amber Ale and lemonade. This resembled none of the three. Big disappointment.

* Muddy Doctor - (Chocolate cake donut, with a Dr. Pepper glaze and toasted coconut.) Can't really taste the Dr. Pepper in there, but I liked the chocolate and coconut. Really spongy.

I am straight-up amazed that one woman does all this herself. It's so admirable. I'd love for her to succeed. Drop by and sample a few flavors and you may fall in love.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank BowmanInc

Michigan City, Indiana
“Cute Little Place”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I had the opportunity to stop in last weekend. It's a cute little place, don't drive too fast or you'll miss it. Little spot outside to eat (lots of trees) or a table inside. Mainly set up for picking up donut, cookies, or coffee and leaving but the atmosphere was nice if the tables are available. They make a lot of different flavors, they just don't make them all every day. I had a French Breakfast (creme filling with sugar & cinnamon on outside) and a Muddy Doctor (chocolate donut with Dr. Pepper glaze & toasted coconut). If you're looking for a greasy donut this isn't the place, donuts are baked. Combinations are fun and tasty, coffee is good too but could be kept a little hotter.

• Visited June 2014
Chicago
“Best Donuts in SW Michigan”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Full disclosure: my wife and I heard about Hello Donuts from a friend in Chicago, just before we left for New Buffalo, MI, for our "babymoon" over Memorial Day weekened. We knew that the store was opened by two sisters and was started as a kickstarter. We also knew that the store often sold out early, so we needed to prioritize and get to the store at a reasonable hour.

We left early for Hello Donuts on Friday morning before Memorial Day. We noticed a television crew truck in the parking lot as we pulled in. Lo and behold, there was a TV reporter asking the two (very kind) sister owners a variety of questions. She was also eager to film us make our selections, which we obliged to.

We got one of every donut on the menu. Favorite: "Wake me up before you go-go." But all of the donuts were great. The donuts aren't fried, making their consistency more like muffins. They really are delicious though. They're also dipped short coffee

Definitely check out if you like donuts and find yourself in Harbor Country, New Buffalo.

• Visited May 2014