There is so much to like about Hello Donuts.
It's a donut shop.
It's an underdog story.
It's social media-savvy.
It's got tons of interesting flavors.
So it pains me to say that of the ten (yes, ten) different donuts I tasted, none really blew me away. I mean, they're pretty good. They definitely don't taste like other donuts. And I think if I hit on a flavor I did like, I would marry it and make donut babies.
Here's the deal. Every day, the super-nice chef posts the next day's flavors on Facebook - facebook.com/HelloDonuts Then you need to check Facebook that morning to see if she's sold out. (She does sell out often.)
Here's my take on the flavors I tasted...
* Bananas Foster - (Bananas, brown sugar, rum) Not a banana fan. I disqualify my opinion here.
* Fluffernutter - (Peanut butter, marshmallow, raised donut) The texture of this is really interesting. It's so soft, almost like a dinner roll. If you like peanut butter and marshmallow (not really my thing), you'd probably love it.
* Wake Up Call - (Chocolate cake donut, espresso glaze) Not a coffee fan. I also disqualify myself.
* Salty Hazel - (Cake donut with a salted Nutella glaze.) I liked this one. The donut was very moist and the Nutella was a good touch. Couldn't really taste the salt, though.
* 21st Birthday - (Whipped Cream vodka glaze and tons of sprinkles!) Too sweet for my tastes.
* Churro - (Dulce de leche swirled cinnamon donut) Big disappointment. A churro is crispy, but this donut was kind of soggy from whatever was used to adhere the cinnamon. Needed way more cinnamon and maybe a dusting of sugar, too.
* Tiramisu - (Espresso-soaked donut with a whipped mascarpone glaze, and a dusting of cocoa.) A delicate treat, but not really my jam.
* Firehouse Breakfast - (Maple glaze, bacon) I liked this one a lot. The bacon was excellent. Wonder if it would have been better chopped up and mixed into the batter instead of sitting on top.
* French Breakfast - (Raised donut, filled with sweet mascarpone cheese and rolled in cinnamon sugar.) This is what the churro donut should have been. Don't be thrown off by the cheese filling. It tastes more like cream. The raspberry on top was a nice touch.
* Summer Shandy - (Bell's Amber Ale, lemonade) I love donuts, Bell's Amber Ale and lemonade. This resembled none of the three. Big disappointment.
* Muddy Doctor - (Chocolate cake donut, with a Dr. Pepper glaze and toasted coconut.) Can't really taste the Dr. Pepper in there, but I liked the chocolate and coconut. Really spongy.
I am straight-up amazed that one woman does all this herself. It's so admirable. I'd love for her to succeed. Drop by and sample a few flavors and you may fall in love.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.