“OUTSTANDINGLY POOR”
Review of Khom Fai

Khom Fai
Reserve with OpenTable
Khom Fai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 154 Restaurants in Shelby Township
Cuisines: Thai
New Baltimore, Michigan
“OUTSTANDINGLY POOR”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Unauthentic, unimaginative and understaffed are all I can say about this place. I can't imagined how anyone, including Detroit Hour Magazine can give this place a good rating. It's either you are not picky or you just have no clue what Thai food taste like. Of all the Thai food I've eaten, I've never had PAD PAK (Vegetable stir fry) that is soup based. You might as well call it "vegetable soup", it was awful. It's supposed to be a "STIR FRY" for god sake. We were there during a midday rain storm for lunch, so the place was nearly emptied. Yet the service took over an hour to get the 3 entree we ordered. All 3 of us were really disappointed with our orders. The Pad-Thai & The drunken noodles were greasy and tasteless and the pad pak was soupy ... The ambient was standard for "in the mall" type. I can't imagine they can do much so I did not dinged them for that....The price was approx. $8.5 + 1.50 for soup and spring roll. For $10.00 excluding tip, I'm sure I can get a better lunch any where.

DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE AT ALL.

NEVER AGAIN

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Adpentinc

Detroit, Michigan
“Awesome, fresh, and vibrant all around!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

WOWWWWWWW is all I have to say about this place. It is SOOOOOO GOOD! I salivate just thinking about our recent dining experience here, and the most shocking element of it all is that we found this place by accident. I LOVE stumbling upon restaurants like these. :)

Husband and I came here on Saturday night around 6:45pm. At first, we had a hard time finding it, as we didn't realize it was on the opposite side of the strip mall on the corner of Hayes and 22 Mile Road. (As a side note: the restaurant is next to a pub facing 22 Mile Road). Once we found it, we were delighted to walk in to a warm, cozy, modern environment. There is a small fountain in the entrance way that leads into the main dining area. Coming from a traditional Asian background, Husband and I had a feeling that this place was run by a Thai family. Little did we know, but we were right! Finding authenticity in ethnic cuisine is hard to find these days, so the we were excited to sit down and eat.

As soon as we entered, we sat down and perused the menu. Every time Husband and I go to a new Thai establishment, we always try the simplest dishes.

This is what we ordered:

- Spring Rolls ($1.50 per piece): Thinly sliced green cabbage mixed with carrots and bean threads, the construction of the rolls were tight and well balanced in the filling. The amount of the filling was abundant without being overly stuffed. The skin was crispy and light, indicative that the rolls were freshly fried and not previously done and sitting around. Plum sauce was nice, and not too sweet.

- Lemongrass Soup with soft tofu ($4): Made very well. Using fresh lemongrass slices, ginger, and sliced baby bella mushrooms (NOT CANNED...YAY), fresh wedges of tomato, the base of this soup was perfect for a cool evening. The addition of tofu absorbed the flavorings of this soup, and provided the perfect palate cleanser for the rest of the meal.

- Chicken Pad Thai ($11.50) medium spice: Plated on a contemporary white square plate, the piping hot noodle dish was steaming as it was approaching our table. Presentation was great - chopped fresh roasted peanuts on one side, noodles and meats in the middle, and fresh blanched bean sprouts and lime wedges on the opposite end. Now, the beauty of this dish is that you take all the elements and fold them together. The thoughtfulness in arranging the plate to do this with ease scored big points for us. However, the flavor of the sauce was awesome - light, tart, and springy with actual tamarind paste mixed in (NO ARTIFICIAL FLAVORINGS). The portion size was huge for the price, and perfect for the two of us. The slices of chicken breast were moist and tender and fresh. This dish truly was an explosion of flavors in my mouth. So yum! The only thing I wish they had more of were eggs, as I barely saw any, but it's still tasty nonetheless.

- Fried Ice Cream ($5): OMG this was so good! I think the last time I had fried ice cream was in California when I was in high school, and even though that was so long ago, I still have a pretty vivid memory of how it tasted. Khom Fai's blows it out of the water. The ice cream ball was a vanilla bean flavor and it was wrapped with a crispy and pillowy shell that had just the right thickness from keeping the whole thing from falling apart. Topped with a light drizzle of chocolate syrup and a few cherries, this was the perfect way to end the evening.

Final bill: $31 after taxes and tip, and 2 full adults. You can't beat that, considering the quality of ingredients they have and the portion sizes.

We seriously cannot wait to come back here and next time, we will probably bring some friends along. The space itself is warm and inviting, and is not huge, so if you have a bigger party, I'd call ahead and make reservations.

I can't say enough good things about our evening here. I don't understand how this place could even get bad reviews, so i'm honestly surprised.

From the simple plating, decor, cleanliness, service, and thoughtfulness in food preparation, I sure hope more people come here on the weekend because these guys really deserve it!

So, if you are in the mood for some simple, fresh, and authentic comfort Thai food, this place is definitely it! We are believers!

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank tycl516
deroit
“Amazing”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

This place is the real deal. It's amazing and authentic. I have been their 11 times in the past year, we are a one income family or else it would have been more. If I had it my way we would eat nothing but their food. Portion sizes are huge enough to have for dinner and lunch the next day. The crab rangoon is the best I have ever had.

2 Thank mrshippiewolf
“Not authentic thai food whatsoever!”
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The owner was a very nice chef who seated us but we really judge the restaurant mostly by the quality of the food more so than the service. Besides, we came here mostly for the food anyways. We ordered papaya salad and pad thai. We ordered spicy on both dishes. When we tried the papaya salad, it was very salty at first but as we dug down more to the bottom where all the juice fell to, we found out that that's where all the sauce hid at. So basically I had to continuously scoop the sauce from the bottom of the plate to the top so that it wouldn't be so salty; that's where the less salty sauce was at. Also the papaya salad had Wayyy too much crush peanuts mixed in. Legit authentic papaya salad will not crush their peanuts but will lay whole peanuts on top. This was mixed and crushed in, totally not authentic. The taste is very salty. Authentic papaya salad is lightly salted, should have more sugar and lime juice to the taste than salt overall. We also had pad thai. Let me tell u, worst pad thai I have ever had in my life. Ive worked at numerous thai restaurants and ate at a variety of thai restaurants to know well enough to determine what's authentic or not. Even if it's not authentic, it should have at least SOME pad thai flavor to it. But here, don't expect it. We had chicken and hot spice added into our pad thai and during the middle of my feast, it hit me that I couldn't taste the flavor of the pad thai. Sad thing was that I was so hungry it took me a while to stop and say.. Wait this is not pad thai flavored. I kept eating and hoped that the flavor will come in a bit but I was wrong. All I tasted was bland noodles and the spice sauce. Yes spice sauce. And it's odd because our pad thai looked orange red and my bf determined it's a chili oil they put in to make it look like that. Looks like they put red spice oil sauce to cook it! There was really no sweet flavor to the pad thai at all. It should have at least some sweet taste right? Wrong. I was so disappointed in the pad thai. So bland so flavorless. Even after I put in 6 slices of lime juice in it. It was so sad bc I didn't taste anything at all. I wanted to ask the waitress for a whole lime but I'm afraid they may charge for that extra, as if their prices aren't ridiculous enough. If they are to price their dishes up there, then they must meet at least some flavor expectations. Worst pad thai ever!!! Don't believe me , go try theirs now. Btw I told me bf the best thing about the 2 dishes was the chicken in the Pad thai oddly enough. Try it and u will understand what I'm saying. My bf said that he wished he had ordered xtra chicken and less noodles. How sad. Overpriced food. Sad dining tables. Waitress was in her own world by the corner at the register. And they need to have a dress code or something enforced. I could not tell who was working there or not bc they dressed so casually like going to the movies or something. Horrible. Will not go again other than to go Eat bland pad thai.

4 Thank Cindiee
Arlington, Texas
“Best Thai Food in the Detroit Area”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Don't just take my word for it - Hour Magazine, Detroit's lifestyle tabloid, and CityVoters Detroit A-List voted it best as well. This unassuming restaurant at the end of a strip mall in Shelby Township was so good we ate there twice on a four-day visit. The menu isn't extensive, but everything we had was fantastic - Thai iced tea, Thai coffee, spring rolls, Pad Thai, fried rice, and the best crispy chicken I've ever tasted. The decor was surprisingly sophisticated and the staff was friendly and attentive. The chef told us that everything served at Khom Fai was locally-sourced and made-to-order. A great dining experience! Highly recommended!

• Visited May 2011