“A Top Choice For Macomb County” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Khom Fai

Khom Fai
Reserve with OpenTable
Khom Fai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 147 Restaurants in Shelby Township
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Detroit, Michigan
“A Top Choice For Macomb County”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

The first time we sampled this place it was good but nothing more.That was two years ago. We tried it again just the other day and it was very, very good.

We had intended to dine inside on a nice Saturday afternoon and placed our orders. But just as we were sipping our soup we got a call that a family member needed a lift so we changed gears and ordered the main course to go. Our server was most accommodating and we tipped her on the basis of a full service, dine-in meal.

We started out with a spring roll each and they were perhaps the best we've had in the Detroit area. Crispy, hot and the insides didn't all try to come out with the first bite as happens so often. The soup (sweet and sour) came with the meal and was hot and good.

After we finally got home we tucked into our main courses. I chose Pad Wee Ew with chicken, the dinner portion, spiced medium and it was excellent. Nice, thick rice noodles with broccoli and generous chunks of chicken. My wife chose Pad Cashew with chicken, lunch portion and spiced mild. It was very, very good but there was a little problem. They fouled up our order. I got the lunch portion instead of the dinner portion and mine had no heat whatsoever. My wife got the dinner portion and her's was spicy. But we'll give them the benefit of the doubt since we had to change our plans mid-stream and go from a sit-down meal to a takeaway.

I'm glad we sampled this place a second time. It's very, very good and based on our second meal there, we can highly recommend it to you.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank newspro

Burlington, Vermont
“Simple place but outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

I can't claim to be a Thai Coannoisseur, but all I know is the food here is delicious! I have had the red curry... amazing flavor and spice. The summer roll.. no words...just so darn good! I love this place! Great service, clean resaturant. Fast delivery!

• Visited April 2013
Michigan
“My new favorite adds some Spice to Shelby Twp”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

Love the fresh and tasty food served by friendly staff. Everything we have had has been excellent. I am a big fan of the Thai tea. Great spring rolls - fresh. Loved the Lemon Grass Soup. Yummy Crispy Chicken. Pad Thai is VERY good --- not too peanut buttery tasting, but just a good blend. I really liked the green curry, but it was hot -- I am a wimp. I think the best was when my husband ordered the red curry fried rice dish -- that was delicious. For dessert it is fun to get the flavored ice cream. Last time we all shared the "flight" - a trio of flavors. Coconut is our favorite, but lemon grass was light and a very nice finish to a superb meal. Staff is very kind. Decor is nice. I just think it is a real winner. I am so glad we found it. It is tucked in next to Hamlin pub on the SW corner on 22 mile by Hayes. A nice change to the sometimes blandness found in the area.

• Visited September 2012
New Baltimore, Michigan
“OUTSTANDINGLY POOR”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Unauthentic, unimaginative and understaffed are all I can say about this place. I can't imagined how anyone, including Detroit Hour Magazine can give this place a good rating. It's either you are not picky or you just have no clue what Thai food taste like. Of all the Thai food I've eaten, I've never had PAD PAK (Vegetable stir fry) that is soup based. You might as well call it "vegetable soup", it was awful. It's supposed to be a "STIR FRY" for god sake. We were there during a midday rain storm for lunch, so the place was nearly emptied. Yet the service took over an hour to get the 3 entree we ordered. All 3 of us were really disappointed with our orders. The Pad-Thai & The drunken noodles were greasy and tasteless and the pad pak was soupy ... The ambient was standard for "in the mall" type. I can't imagine they can do much so I did not dinged them for that....The price was approx. $8.5 + 1.50 for soup and spring roll. For $10.00 excluding tip, I'm sure I can get a better lunch any where.

DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE AT ALL.

NEVER AGAIN

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Adpentinc
Detroit, Michigan
“Awesome, fresh, and vibrant all around!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

WOWWWWWWW is all I have to say about this place. It is SOOOOOO GOOD! I salivate just thinking about our recent dining experience here, and the most shocking element of it all is that we found this place by accident. I LOVE stumbling upon restaurants like these. :)

Husband and I came here on Saturday night around 6:45pm. At first, we had a hard time finding it, as we didn't realize it was on the opposite side of the strip mall on the corner of Hayes and 22 Mile Road. (As a side note: the restaurant is next to a pub facing 22 Mile Road). Once we found it, we were delighted to walk in to a warm, cozy, modern environment. There is a small fountain in the entrance way that leads into the main dining area. Coming from a traditional Asian background, Husband and I had a feeling that this place was run by a Thai family. Little did we know, but we were right! Finding authenticity in ethnic cuisine is hard to find these days, so the we were excited to sit down and eat.

As soon as we entered, we sat down and perused the menu. Every time Husband and I go to a new Thai establishment, we always try the simplest dishes.

This is what we ordered:

- Spring Rolls ($1.50 per piece): Thinly sliced green cabbage mixed with carrots and bean threads, the construction of the rolls were tight and well balanced in the filling. The amount of the filling was abundant without being overly stuffed. The skin was crispy and light, indicative that the rolls were freshly fried and not previously done and sitting around. Plum sauce was nice, and not too sweet.

- Lemongrass Soup with soft tofu ($4): Made very well. Using fresh lemongrass slices, ginger, and sliced baby bella mushrooms (NOT CANNED...YAY), fresh wedges of tomato, the base of this soup was perfect for a cool evening. The addition of tofu absorbed the flavorings of this soup, and provided the perfect palate cleanser for the rest of the meal.

- Chicken Pad Thai ($11.50) medium spice: Plated on a contemporary white square plate, the piping hot noodle dish was steaming as it was approaching our table. Presentation was great - chopped fresh roasted peanuts on one side, noodles and meats in the middle, and fresh blanched bean sprouts and lime wedges on the opposite end. Now, the beauty of this dish is that you take all the elements and fold them together. The thoughtfulness in arranging the plate to do this with ease scored big points for us. However, the flavor of the sauce was awesome - light, tart, and springy with actual tamarind paste mixed in (NO ARTIFICIAL FLAVORINGS). The portion size was huge for the price, and perfect for the two of us. The slices of chicken breast were moist and tender and fresh. This dish truly was an explosion of flavors in my mouth. So yum! The only thing I wish they had more of were eggs, as I barely saw any, but it's still tasty nonetheless.

- Fried Ice Cream ($5): OMG this was so good! I think the last time I had fried ice cream was in California when I was in high school, and even though that was so long ago, I still have a pretty vivid memory of how it tasted. Khom Fai's blows it out of the water. The ice cream ball was a vanilla bean flavor and it was wrapped with a crispy and pillowy shell that had just the right thickness from keeping the whole thing from falling apart. Topped with a light drizzle of chocolate syrup and a few cherries, this was the perfect way to end the evening.

Final bill: $31 after taxes and tip, and 2 full adults. You can't beat that, considering the quality of ingredients they have and the portion sizes.

We seriously cannot wait to come back here and next time, we will probably bring some friends along. The space itself is warm and inviting, and is not huge, so if you have a bigger party, I'd call ahead and make reservations.

I can't say enough good things about our evening here. I don't understand how this place could even get bad reviews, so i'm honestly surprised.

From the simple plating, decor, cleanliness, service, and thoughtfulness in food preparation, I sure hope more people come here on the weekend because these guys really deserve it!

So, if you are in the mood for some simple, fresh, and authentic comfort Thai food, this place is definitely it! We are believers!

• Visited February 2012