“Pretty good; could be better”

Thirsty Perch Grill
Ranked #49 of 69 Restaurants in South Haven
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Cincinnati, OH
“Pretty good; could be better”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Was hesitant to try because other websites show worse reviews than this one... Went on a weds eve around 6:30. Party of 7 incl 1 baby. They were out of high chairs (they only have two high chairs and both were in use), so had to use booster seat. Waiter Julius was great- very attentive and made nice recommendations. The second glasses of water he poured us tasted terrible. He replaced them quickly. The bread they serve is good, but the butter/oil combo needs help. We thought this combo was odd-- either serve the bread with infused oil or with butter, but not both.
Food was pretty good. We had crab legs, mahi mahi, chicken Cesar wrap, fish tacos, burger... I thought the prices were a little high for the quality of the food... It was above average food, but nothing amazing. No paper towels in women's restroom, but hostess seemed to attend to that right away after I told her. Margaritas were a basic Jose Cuervo mix. I agree that they have the potential to be really awesome, but need to invest in a chef... I feel like the owners prob think they are qualified to do it themselves, but that they're really not...
We would prob go back. Not this trip, but a different one.

Plymouth, Michigan
“more fun times”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

our favorite place to eat..i must have lake perch when I get on lake mich and the perch has the best for sure..ate there 3 times out of 9 days

Visited July 2014
Stevensville, Michigan
“Won't Eat There Again!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I decided to spend the afternoon in South Haven. After shopping, we decided to have an early dinner at the Thirsty Perch using our Super Book Dining card. We arrived at the restaurant just minutes after it opened (4 PM). For those of you not familiar with the Super Book Dining card...it's a discount dining card. The establishments that participate, have their menus printed in the Super Book so customers can view their menu while making a restaurant selection. While reading over the menu, we noticed a couple of things were not on the menu that were listed in the Super Book. I asked the waitress about a certain sandwich listed in the Super Book but not on the menu. We were told they'd changed the menu three weeks ago. Another thing we noticed were the prices were higher and not just a little. The sandwich (perch sandwich with slaw) I ordered was $3 higher.I can understand a slight increase, but to go from $8.99 to $12? It would have been okay but the sandwich would not have been worth $8.99 much less $12. My husband's fish and chips was average and NOT worth $17. Neither of us finished our terrible meals.

Before leaving the restaurant, we both used the restrooms. Now remember the restaurant had just opened and we were their first customers so why was the ladies restroom dirty? Pieces of toilet tissue on the floor, one toilet hadn't been flushed, no soap in the soap dispenser, and the automatic paper towel dispenser didn't work and there was a large roll of the paper towel on the counter. My husband said the men's room was dirty, but the paper towel dispenser did work. Big deal!!!!

This restaurant won't be in business long or shouldn't be. We know we won't go back to that restaurant and will tell others how bad and expensive it is.

1 Thank MichiganLady50
Indianapolis, Indiana
“So much potential.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The oysters and calamari were good. The other food not so much. At least I haven't cared for it my last two visits. They do make an awesome Bloody Caesar though. They need to bring in a chef and spend a little time learning how to cook the food. A little investment could make this place amazing.

1 Thank MDSC0421
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Great food. Great Service”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My grandma and I ate here in May and had a great experience. We both had the walleye, and it was so delicious! The presentation was beautiful as well. The service was awesome. The waiter told us about the area when we asked but gave us our space to socialize, as we hadn't seen each other in awhile. We felt very relaxed. I would highly recommend the restaurant.

• Visited May 2014