“Look elsewhere - not worth price”

Lake Bluff Inn and Suites
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Argyll, Scotland
“Look elsewhere - not worth price”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We spent two nights at this hotel in June. Hotels/B&B's in town were very expensive so we chose this one which is about 2 miles away with a nice view.

Our room smelled musty and was seriously in need of redecorating. Bed was comfortable and shower was good though. It simply felt like a cheap motel room. The grounds were quite nice though as was the decking over the lake.

No complaints about staff or breakfast. Not a cooked breakfast, but cereal, plenty of pastries some of which were homemade and delicious, fresh fruit, juice, breads and English muffins. Only complaint about the food was that the packets of jam/jelly must have been well out of date as they were like rubber.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank annielf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 June 2012

After hating our original South Haven accommodation, we saw a sign for this hotel on the main road and decided to try it. It has a very motel look to it, and I guess they have rebranded to call it "inn and suites".

The location was the first selling point - it is right on the lake, however you don't get beach access. But the wide expanse of lake was very appealing. They have quite big grounds, with a little children's play area and pool, and a main outdoor pool.

They weren't very busy when we arrived so a lovely member of staff showed us several rooms and because we were having a bad day we went for their most expensive room (I think). Room 50 - top floor, private balcony, jacuzzi bath, and amazing lake views from both the balcony AND bath!
They don't have a bar or restaurant, and provide a free buffet breakfast. However the coffee machine wasn't working, and there were no staff around at all, which was quite odd as the dining area is right next to reception.

The room itself was clean and in good condition, although the bathroom towels had seen better days. Certainly none of the problems that other reviewers have mentioned.

The grounds were well maintained, and the pool area in excellent condition. The children's play area looked OK but the slide was wet due to the sprinkler and the baby swing seat was cracked and dirty with bird mess.

In the end we only stayed one night, partly because of the expense ($250 - although we could have downgraded I suppose) but also because of the lack of dining options. If you want to eat in your room (we did, as we had a sleepy 1 year old with us), then the only option is to order in pizza. Fine for one night, not for two!

Now we know what to expect, we may well go back. We are very grateful that our vacation wasn't ruined and they were able to accommodate us.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This place is a dump. I came here for a wedding, sadly, and while the views are beautiful... that is all this place has going for it. I checked in and the room was completely filthy still. There were cobwebs, spiders, and ants crawling all over the room.
What a great welcome gift!
After checking in I had about an hour and a half to get ready for the wedding. To my surprise... there is NO hot water.
The owner and maintenance told me I used all of the water in the 30 gallon tank for my room... even though I just got there. Every question I asked was answered with an "I don't know". The owner refused to come to my room, even when I told her that the water smelled like Straight sulfur (rotten eggs) and I had to leave the door open to get rid of the smell. They said it was there well water.
Riiiiight. Well after about 45 minutes I finally got the maintenance man to come into my room to check out the hot water situation. these men were completely rude and almost creepy in a sense. When I had told him the situation he said "listen lady you use all the hot water". This place made me LATE for the wedding because I was unable to take a shower, the maintenance men refused to leave the room when I needed to get ready. Just sat there an argued with me. There were NO apologies from anyone. It was, "it's all your fault it's all your fault it's all your fault" and not to mention the maintenance man ended up muttering cuss words to my boyfriend and I, and when i yelled "excuse me, what did you say?" He literally took off running into the woods. I couldn't believe this is how they treat customers. This place almost ruined what should have been a great time with family. Thank alot Lake Bluff Inn aka HELLHOLE

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Akayz024

Travellers are raving about these South Haven hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I was worried at the time of booking based on several negative reports on Tripadvisor, but I have to say I have no idea where these reviews came from.
I stayed in room 6, a 2 bedroom suite. It was good overall, and nice location. The public beach is maybe 1.5 miles away. The pool and hot tub at Lake Bluff Inn were wonderful and the kids love it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jgrandpa
grand rapids
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband and I wanted to get away for one night for our 4 year anniversary. We have a toddler at home and really wanted to find a peaceful and quiet place where we could get some good, uninterrupted sleep. We were woken in the middle of the night from the room right below us--we were in 18 and they in 47. When my husband called the office to complain, the manager complained to him that he had woken HER up!!! seriously? After some convincing she agreed to call the room and tell them to quiet down. She never apologized for the inconvenience, even when we saw her the next day. No offers to make it right--just told us again how tired she was....um, isn't that your JOB--to be available if guests need something? Very unprofessional. I won't even talk about the hideous decor. Won't be staying there again. (one good thing was the continental breakfast, they had lots of options.)

Room Tip: newer two story rooms are nicer.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cwwGrandRapids
Nebraska
Reviewed 19 October 2011

This is NOT an Inn, it is an old motel they have added to 20 and 25 years ago on a property that has a ground space overlooking Lake Michigan that can be used for family gatherings, weddings, and parties.

The draw to this place are the grounds. They are not as large as their website makes you think, but if you place your tent or settings strategically you can accommodate many people for your gathering.
They require you to rent rooms to have your party on their property. Saturday night party : $500 to use the grounds PLUS rental of a minimum of 40 rooms. If you have a party in the summer months, you are required to pay for all 52 rooms. The 40 rooms you have to pay for are all of the highest price rooms plus a handful of the lower priced rooms , for an average of $200 per room per night. That makes renting the grounds at a price of around $10,000 for a 1 day party, and in the summer around $14,000 (unless the prices are higher than I was told for the rooms).

As for the rooms. Like I said Motel or Cabin quality. The best of the bunch were the rooms in the 3 story building built 20 years ago. There is another building with similar rooms to the 3 story building rooms and was renovated about 25 years ago. Did anyone say PINK???? This building has pink tiles when you enter, around the fireplace and the carpet has pink accents in the design. They rent for around $250 to $270 per night. Handicap rooms not up to the new ADA rules as they are 20 years old.
The second and third story rooms had great views, I will give them that, with chairs on the decks for those with rooms by them.

DO NOT stay in the rooms # 30-45 if you have any allergies. They try to cover the old and musty odors with perfume sprays and it is strong. These are in the 1 story building when you first enter the property and rent for around $100.
The next row of 1 story rooms, have sizes from a studio to a full suite, and have a very strong odor of OLD. 70's anyone? Not sure of the room numbers but were around #10? We toured a full suite that had been cleaned but sitting empty. I believe these rent for close to $300 per night. It would be nice to have the stove and full refrigerator, but who could handle the smell?
The rooms above the office are called suites. One & 2 bedrooms with Kitchenettes.These were priced around the $250 to $300 price and old.

They have these amateur looking picture boards on the property that I think are suppose to draw children, but seem out of place with a Lake property. The pools were dirty and they are uncovered and outdoors.

The Recreation room is, I think, A converted garage. Cement floor with pressed board used for the walls. If this was by a sandy area, beach or campground, I could understand the unfinished room.

The Office/Reception/Office area was pleasant, but small. It will only accommodate 24 people at a time. With 52 rooms and most of them double or triple sleeping accommodations, there is not enough room for even half the guests at one time to have breakfast.

We were told that there have been no updates or changes in more than 3 years and possibly since the remodel 20 years ago. There are many odors from not being taken care of properly or updated. Yes, its by a Lake but many vacation spots are and don't have these odors.

The neighbor hood has a mixture of homes. Some are fairly new with beautiful landscaping. We saw many on our 3 mile drive to the quaint town of South Haven. Loved the town.

Yes, I believe what everyone has said in their reviews.
If you are used to campground cabins you will probably like these.They do have some really bad rooms, many so-so rooms and a few okay rooms. If you are used to 1 and 2 star hotels, you might think this place is great as it is for those with low expectations.

I feel they are priced pretty high for what they are offering. The Owners evidently do not have any money to update the property and are hoping to keep going on in the same way for the years to come.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 3 story building are their newest & best. Not all the jacuzzi rooms are the new one...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smoothcj
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Stayed at this Inn last weekend for our annual girls weekend. The grounds on the resort are beautiful. You are right on the lake. The rooms we stayed in however were terrible. They had a very musty, mildew odor uopon arrival. The floor going from the room to the bathrooms had over a 1 inch gap. Could be a safety hazard. The towels were once maybe white, were old and stained. The bathrooms had absolutely no counter space and very little clothes hanging room. The pillows were hard and lumpy. The shower curtain was also mildewed.
We would have tried for a different hotel, but with it being Labor Day weekend, there was nothing else available.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#1 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph

Been to Lake Bluff Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!