BEWARE OF THE OWNERS AND UNWRITTEN RULES !!
We booked this place for our sons wedding and here are things you need to know before you do the same.
1. The Owners run this place and live onsite. They tell you that you have to rent 20 rooms for the first night and 40 rooms for the second night. The cost comes to around $13,000 plus a $500 deposit. When the guests reserve a room, they are charged one night room charge as deposit. This is non-refundable. When you check in you have to pay the remaining amount in full.
Now, If the rooms they have specified on your list have not all been rented, even if your guests rent other rooms not on the list AND extra nights that are not required, you still have to pay for those unrented rooms. The owners collected a lot more than the $13,500 for the rented rooms. It should be a flat fee and the prices of the rooms rented are deducted from this amount. Must be too hard to figure that out. Also I will be watching my credit card account as they took my card number over the phone, but said they had not charged me. I payed again for a room I had reserved.
2. The grounds had been driven across with a heavy vehicle/equipment and had not been repaired. We had deep ruts in the grass where our tent was. You had to be careful where you walked all day and night. Pretty precarious when you are dressed up and carrying a drink or food.
3. The rooms are okay, but in need of update and repairs. We found many rooms that the blinds did not work plus other minor repairs that were overlooked. The mattresses are cheap & hard. They also did not clean up any trash on the grounds after our rehearsal dinner. There were not many trash cans around, so we had put the trash in boxes. They were still there the next noon and we had to clean everything up before the wedding.
4. The breakfast I will have to say was very good. I don't know if this is just because it was a wedding weekend.
5. The unwritten rules they do not tell you about.
They called the police twice for noise violations. The first time they said the music was too loud, the second time the guests were just visiting and we had to shut down the party. They even told some quests they could no longer be in the game room.
When we toured the property, given all the information for renting the grounds and even the many times we were in contact with this venue, nothing was said about a curfew. There were rumors the following day about a 11:00 PM (unwritten) curfew.
We were also concerned that we may be overcharged for clean up since they were upset, so we cleaned up the grounds before leaving on Sunday.
Yes, we had a lovely time after the water spout tornado and hail in the morning of the wedding, plus the intermittent rain after the out door ceremony, but there are many things to think about if you look to rent this property for a wedding.
1. Do you care if you are overcharged for rooms your quests don't rent?
2. Do you care that the rooms are a 1 star room?
3. Do you care that the owners don't take very good care of the grounds?
4. Are you willing to end your reception by 11:00 PM because the Owners live on the grounds.
5. Are you willing to do your own clean up?
The views of the water can be beautiful if the weather is good, but is it worth the hassle we had to put up with and the early ending of the reception? NO - Look elsewhere, there are many other places with views.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Lake Bluff Inn and Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Bluff Hotel South Haven