“Good for families, not a romantic getaway”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Livonia, Michigan
“Good for families, not a romantic getaway”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We also stayed in a "suite" that was reserved well in advance. Room was small and dirty. One packet of coffee. No power from 6:00 - 11:00 pm. We were told several times that they "were working on it", but at 9:00 watched as a city repair truck pulled up. Other rooms had power, but they never offered to move us as this was "not their problem -- it was beyond their responsibility". Snippy desk staff. EXCESSIVE NOISE from an ongoing wedding from 4:00 pm til midnight. Unfortunately, our room was also located above the swing set, sand box, and the all night bond fire. Nothing but screaming kids running around without supervision and drunks laughing at every dumb joke. Fortunately the Inn is close to South Haven where we spent most of our time. Would not stay here again -- even with family. Too bad. Lovely view.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shawn w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Grandville, Michigan
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My husband and I wanted to celebrate our anniversary some place with an unobstructed view of Lake Michigan. This inn has exactly that! Large grassy on the property which provided nice views of the lake, plus a variety of seating types available on the decks or patio areas to sit and enjoy the beauty of the lake. We toured 4 different types of rooms for future stays alone or with families, and many show very recent updates. Everything was very clean! Good selection of room types depending on what your budget allows and what you're "going for" on your time away. Good continental style breakfast. Found the staff to be pleasant and helpful....initially reserved to likely not intrude on guests privacy, but once we started the conversation and wanted to know more, very cordial. We really liked that downtown South Haven was just a few minutes drive away to have a nice dinner and do a little shopping, but then we could go back to the property at Lake Bluff Inn and just enjoy the beauty and sounds of Lake Michigan and the spectacular sunset.

Room Tip: Room rates are a good guide for good, better, best. We were happy Room #10 for the lake view, sofa...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marilyn B
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Staying at the Lake Bluff Inn was absolutely the worst hotel experience of my life. My room reeked strongly, and I asked for another room, but the owner said all rooms were occupied. Towels were threadbare, furniture was old and worn, shower had a rust stain -- absolutely nothing about this dump was remotely worth the price. Owner was extremely abrasive and rude. I am puzzled how they stay in business, and why the Health department has not been called to inspect this dump.

Rec room looked like a dusty basement, circa 1952!

I eventually left because I could not stand the thought of steeping with the foul odor -- of course, the owner did not return my money, engaging in clearly fraudulent business practices.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank houghtonlady

Travellers are raving about these South Haven hotels

Flint, Michigan
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I spent 2 nights at this hotel. It was in March so considered "low season". I will start with the pros. It is a nice facility with beautiful views. It was slightly chilly so we really didn't spend too much time outside. They do include a continental breakfast. The rooms were standard size hotel rooms, we had two queen beds but no couch and only two chairs to sit on, even though the room fits 4 people.

As for the cons, when we reserved the rooms, the room that we were in was a "Deluxe" room. The website mentioned a "kitchenette and a jacuzzi tub". Naturally I thought it would be a large room. It was $100 more a night than the standard room with 2 double beds. The website also shows a large suite and showed the "winter rates" for all their rooms. However, you have to keep in mind their "standard" rooms that are cheaper are hidden behind the parking lot with no visual access to the lake at all. They are a separate building away from the grassy yard where the other buildings and rooms are at. Not ideally located at all. When I got there, the only deluxe thing about our room was we had a lakeview. But the room was standard size, we really didn't have a kitchenette as the sink was a stand wash sink, like a bathroom sink and there was a mini fridge and and small microwave. They included a few dishes and cups, but really no where to wash the dishes or allow them to dry. The "jacuzzi" was a normal tub and shower combo but it had jets in the tub. Mainly kid size, not really a jacuzzi like I have seen at other hotels. The room was small as I had my wife and 4 children. I asked for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite as they have advertized on their website, but the owner said they were closed for the winter and only open in the summer. I said why can't they open one up, I'm willing to pay more for the suite plus it's advertised on their website as being available. But she refused to open one up. I asked to just see one as I may return in the summer, but she refused to even let me see one. I even mentioned that we want to do a family reunion and I will bring a large group to stay here if the suites are adequate, but she still refused to open one for me.

The customer service was overall horrendous. Every time I asked for something, I would get hesitation. When I asked if we could sit in the lobby since they have a couch there and a TV and we wanted to sit and watch a basketball game, they told us the TV is only turned on in the morning for the breakfast. We were the only guests there that weekend. Only after pushing harder did they allow us to watch TV.

Finally, it is very pricey. We were the only guests there that weekend and it was low season and they charged us $180 a night for a standard room. I would expect this from a high season rate. Their high season summer rates are $60 more a night. I don't plan on coming back here again because they don't know what customer service means and too pricey.

Room Tip: Get a lakeview room, but it is pricey.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nimans
Lake Bluff Inn S, Manager at Lake Bluff Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear about your resent stay with us at Lake Bluff Inn and Suites, I can not apologize enough for not providing you right customer services at the time of your stay. I would like it, if you could personally email us, so we can ensure that your next stay in south haven is with us.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I have stayed here as a child every summer with my family and am now going on my third year taking my own son here. This place is great for families. There is a large field, sand box, small swing set, a small pool, and a baby pool. There is also a game room with a pool table, ping pong table, and some old school arcade games. Yes, the rooms are dated but I've never experienced a dirty room and I have stayed here 10+ times. There is no beach access, however it is so close to beach access, it doesn't really matter. There is a nice overlook that you can go out on to watch the sunsets. Also, there is a continental breakfast: coffee, assorted juices, milk, cereals, pastries, sandwiches, hardboiled eggs, yogurts, waffles, toast, and bagels. Lots of local (20 minute drive or less) activities. We have done horseback riding, kayaking, bike rentals, jet ski rentals, and a boat tour. Honestly, I have read the other reviews on here and they make this place seem very bad. If you're a middle class family looking for a relaxing vacation not too far from home (we're from Chicago) then this is your place. No frills or unnecessary fanciness but if you can deal with that then this is your place.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrea P
Lake Bluff Inn S, Manager at Lake Bluff Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Andrea P.

We are happy to read you have had exceptional stays here with us and we appreciate your wonderful feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back.

ann arbor
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I was told this suite was 299.00, a night this was going to be my 50 th birthday so I didn't mind spending what seemed like a lot at the time for something that sounded really special! What I got was entirely a different story... When I got there after a two and a half hour drive the girl at the desk told me they were sold out and if I still wanted the room I had in writing for 299.00 I would have to pay 399.00! Extortion!! This was for my 50th birthday I was getting dark and I was tired so I paid. The room was horrible!! It looked like a storage room for extra furiture!! dusty, extra furiture shuved in front of light fixtures switches and the sheets and towels you couldn't even use them so nasty! The girl at the desk said all well thats what we have ! Good thing I had my own sheets and towles with me!! In the morning the place lost power! When I went to the front desk she said oh well check out is at 11 am heres a flash light check out on time or be charged extra! Breakfast was another really bad joke! six types of stale bread all shoved in one bread bag!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank millskmom62

Unfortunately, i do believe you wrote a review on the wrong site. At that time, we were not full, we had plenty of rooms open. Also we do not have a room that cost $299 or more. The most expensive room we have in the winter time is $205.00. I am sorry for bad experience at the hotel you stayed at, and maybe one day, you can give us a try here at Lake Bluff Inn and Suites in South Haven, Michigan.

Chicago
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We booked a room last minute... the room we got was in a building towards the back... it smelled like cat pee. Also, there were carpenter ants running on the bed.
The property had another room open. They did not apologize for the state of the room and did not offer to compensate us, but we took the other room anyways. It was a king suite. The suite was an improvement, but I would not rate it above your run of the mill holiday inn. The bathroom was a disaster and the shower was broken.
This property could be fantastic and needs some love & care.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nikki S
Lake Bluff Inn S, Front Office Manager at Lake Bluff Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Nikki S.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in South Haven. We want to apologize for not upholding the level of hospitality that was expected.

We understand that your experience was not in keeping with our standards for service and we have used your review to help evaluate and improve within each department.

The incidences you found with the smell and bed are very unfortunate and we want to assure you that specific action was taken to improve practices within the housekeeping department.

I also want to mention, that the shower was not broken, some do seem to think they are just for decorations, but that is not the case. There is a different way to turn on the shower then most showers.

Again, we apologize for your disheartening stay at the hotel. Please don’t hesitate to contact me to further discuss.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph

Been to Lake Bluff Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!