“Beautiful property; 3.5/5 on room and cleanliness”

Lake Bluff Inn and Suites
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This is a beautiful property and there is so much area to relax and walk around (outside) while getting the lake view. This was our second time there and we enjoyed it and even spent more time in the hotel to enjoy the scenery/view.

The room is not so great though: (looks like its a constant complaint with visitors). The bed was not comfortable cause the mattress sagged in the middle. The room was not as clean as I would like it. But you spend minimum time in the room, so its not a deal-breaker. Stay here for the property and the lake view.

Room Tip: even if you take the non-lake view and a single queens bed, its worth it cause you dont spend any ti...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yk2115
There are newer reviews for Lake Bluff Inn and Suites

Reviewed 25 June 2013

If you are coming to the Lake Bluff Inn expecting 5 Star amenities and service, then you will be disappointed. However, if you take it for what it is-- a secluded retreat with amazing lake views and a comfortable place to sleep, you will enjoy your stay. Yes, our room was small and perhaps a little outdated, but the only time we spent in the room was when we were sleeping-- and our eyes were closed then, so the decor didn't matter. What did matter was the beautiful property and the lake view. Our room had a lake view and a picnic table on the back porch. From the back door we could walk all over the property and be surrounded by the sounds of the waves on the lake crashing against the bluffs. The tiered deck leading down to the lake was beautiful, and we sat there watching the stars at night, and trying to watch the sunrise the next morning (but it's not quite situated right to see a sunrise and the weather was not playing nicely either). The staff was courteous and breakfast offered a variety of options. Yes, if I had paid $179 for a night at the Mariott or a HIlton, I would have been disappointed in the caliber of the room itself, but I took this for what it was-- a rustic getaway where we could enjoy the beauty of the lake and time with each other. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Definitely pay extra for a lake view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beccaminister
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We also stayed in a "suite" that was reserved well in advance. Room was small and dirty. One packet of coffee. No power from 6:00 - 11:00 pm. We were told several times that they "were working on it", but at 9:00 watched as a city repair truck pulled up. Other rooms had power, but they never offered to move us as this was "not their problem -- it was beyond their responsibility". Snippy desk staff. EXCESSIVE NOISE from an ongoing wedding from 4:00 pm til midnight. Unfortunately, our room was also located above the swing set, sand box, and the all night bond fire. Nothing but screaming kids running around without supervision and drunks laughing at every dumb joke. Fortunately the Inn is close to South Haven where we spent most of our time. Would not stay here again -- even with family. Too bad. Lovely view.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shawn w
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My husband and I wanted to celebrate our anniversary some place with an unobstructed view of Lake Michigan. This inn has exactly that! Large grassy on the property which provided nice views of the lake, plus a variety of seating types available on the decks or patio areas to sit and enjoy the beauty of the lake. We toured 4 different types of rooms for future stays alone or with families, and many show very recent updates. Everything was very clean! Good selection of room types depending on what your budget allows and what you're "going for" on your time away. Good continental style breakfast. Found the staff to be pleasant and helpful....initially reserved to likely not intrude on guests privacy, but once we started the conversation and wanted to know more, very cordial. We really liked that downtown South Haven was just a few minutes drive away to have a nice dinner and do a little shopping, but then we could go back to the property at Lake Bluff Inn and just enjoy the beauty and sounds of Lake Michigan and the spectacular sunset.

Room Tip: Room rates are a good guide for good, better, best. We were happy Room #10 for the lake view, sofa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marilyn B
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Staying at the Lake Bluff Inn was absolutely the worst hotel experience of my life. My room reeked strongly, and I asked for another room, but the owner said all rooms were occupied. Towels were threadbare, furniture was old and worn, shower had a rust stain -- absolutely nothing about this dump was remotely worth the price. Owner was extremely abrasive and rude. I am puzzled how they stay in business, and why the Health department has not been called to inspect this dump.

Rec room looked like a dusty basement, circa 1952!

I eventually left because I could not stand the thought of steeping with the foul odor -- of course, the owner did not return my money, engaging in clearly fraudulent business practices.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank houghtonlady
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I spent 2 nights at this hotel. It was in March so considered "low season". I will start with the pros. It is a nice facility with beautiful views. It was slightly chilly so we really didn't spend too much time outside. They do include a continental breakfast. The rooms were standard size hotel rooms, we had two queen beds but no couch and only two chairs to sit on, even though the room fits 4 people.

As for the cons, when we reserved the rooms, the room that we were in was a "Deluxe" room. The website mentioned a "kitchenette and a jacuzzi tub". Naturally I thought it would be a large room. It was $100 more a night than the standard room with 2 double beds. The website also shows a large suite and showed the "winter rates" for all their rooms. However, you have to keep in mind their "standard" rooms that are cheaper are hidden behind the parking lot with no visual access to the lake at all. They are a separate building away from the grassy yard where the other buildings and rooms are at. Not ideally located at all. When I got there, the only deluxe thing about our room was we had a lakeview. But the room was standard size, we really didn't have a kitchenette as the sink was a stand wash sink, like a bathroom sink and there was a mini fridge and and small microwave. They included a few dishes and cups, but really no where to wash the dishes or allow them to dry. The "jacuzzi" was a normal tub and shower combo but it had jets in the tub. Mainly kid size, not really a jacuzzi like I have seen at other hotels. The room was small as I had my wife and 4 children. I asked for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite as they have advertized on their website, but the owner said they were closed for the winter and only open in the summer. I said why can't they open one up, I'm willing to pay more for the suite plus it's advertised on their website as being available. But she refused to open one up. I asked to just see one as I may return in the summer, but she refused to even let me see one. I even mentioned that we want to do a family reunion and I will bring a large group to stay here if the suites are adequate, but she still refused to open one for me.

The customer service was overall horrendous. Every time I asked for something, I would get hesitation. When I asked if we could sit in the lobby since they have a couch there and a TV and we wanted to sit and watch a basketball game, they told us the TV is only turned on in the morning for the breakfast. We were the only guests there that weekend. Only after pushing harder did they allow us to watch TV.

Finally, it is very pricey. We were the only guests there that weekend and it was low season and they charged us $180 a night for a standard room. I would expect this from a high season rate. Their high season summer rates are $60 more a night. I don't plan on coming back here again because they don't know what customer service means and too pricey.

Room Tip: Get a lakeview room, but it is pricey.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank nimans
Lake Bluff Inn S, Manager at Lake Bluff Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear about your resent stay with us at Lake Bluff Inn and Suites, I can not apologize enough for not providing you right customer services at the time of your stay. I would like it, if you could personally email us, so we can ensure that your next stay in south haven is with us.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I have stayed here as a child every summer with my family and am now going on my third year taking my own son here. This place is great for families. There is a large field, sand box, small swing set, a small pool, and a baby pool. There is also a game room with a pool table, ping pong table, and some old school arcade games. Yes, the rooms are dated but I've never experienced a dirty room and I have stayed here 10+ times. There is no beach access, however it is so close to beach access, it doesn't really matter. There is a nice overlook that you can go out on to watch the sunsets. Also, there is a continental breakfast: coffee, assorted juices, milk, cereals, pastries, sandwiches, hardboiled eggs, yogurts, waffles, toast, and bagels. Lots of local (20 minute drive or less) activities. We have done horseback riding, kayaking, bike rentals, jet ski rentals, and a boat tour. Honestly, I have read the other reviews on here and they make this place seem very bad. If you're a middle class family looking for a relaxing vacation not too far from home (we're from Chicago) then this is your place. No frills or unnecessary fanciness but if you can deal with that then this is your place.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrea P
Lake Bluff Inn S, Manager at Lake Bluff Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Dear Andrea P.

We are happy to read you have had exceptional stays here with us and we appreciate your wonderful feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Lake Bluff Inn and Suites

The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph

Been to Lake Bluff Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!