“Great location, accommodations and hospitality”

Lake Bluff Inn and Suites
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Farmington, Michigan
“Great location, accommodations and hospitality”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Accommodations range from high end luxury suites with spectacular views of the lake to modest but clean traditional motel rooms. Prices are commensurate with style, size location of the units. We stayed in an inexpensive motel room ($99 in June - great rate for the area during peak season). Everything was clean and functional and in good working order. The complimentary breakfast was great too, which we enjoyed on one of the picnic tables in the large common area overlooking Lake Michigan. We only needed a room for the night while on a bicycle trip, but the stay proved to be much more than a place to sleep. The location is great: on the lake, off the highway, away from busy areas of downtown South Haven but close enough to be very accessible.

Room Tip: Check for availability before your trip during peak season.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank bill c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My family and I had a good time at this hotel. Being from more "inland" Michigan its really cool to be able to stare out over the water and watch the sunset or just sit on the deck and take it all in. Its a family run place and you can tell they are really out to give you a good time. I'm not sure where some of the negative reviews come from but I think people will usually only complain if given the chance. We'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: Get a luxury suite all the way. Its worth it.
1 Thank Keith B
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Our family has been coming to Lake Bluff Inn and Suites for over two decades and the experience is always a joy. The location and beautiful view is breath taking especially during sunset and sunrise. It's, at the same time, a very romantic place for a couple or fun and exciting place for the entire family. The rooms are clean and very presentable and the service is very friendly and accommodating. The place offers many attractions for staying guests such as hot tub, playground for kids, fire pit, game room, heated pool for adults and children. They offer continental breakfast with great variety. The prices are fair and reasonable compared to other hotels in the area. You get a lot for what you pay.
The place is our favorite destination and definitely worth visiting.

2 Thank Maggie M
La Grange, Illinois
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We just got back from a fantastic stay at LBI. We stayed in the King suite. The view from our deck was well worth the price! Very quiet, beautiful grounds. The pool was clean with lots of chairs. There is a lack of towels (be aware that you use room towels for the pool or bring your own) Breakfast was top notch, lots of home made goodies, cereal, bagels and fresh fruit. Our room was very clean. Bathroom is snug, but the extra sink helps a lot. We also had a shortage of toilet paper of all things! The deck overlook is wonderful. Sunsets to die for! Just minutes from South Haven. If you want a quiet, off the beaten path place, this is it!

Room Tip: The three story room has great views of the lake
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank cathyham54
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 1 June 2014

After reading some of the reviews, we were a little worried about our stay at Lake Bluff. However, we had a wonderful time. It is a beautiful location, with beautiful grounds, and a very laid back feel to it. When we arrived, we had every intention of driving into town to shop, however we stayed around the resort and just chilled. The deck outside our room was nice with comfy chairs and a great view of Lake Michigan. The pool was nice, and the room was clean. I was not expecting a JW Marriott experience, but a homey nice weekend at the lake, and that is what we got. The owner was very nice and we were pleasantly surprised at the nice continental breakfast...cute pasteries, fun little sandwiches and fruit salad. We will be back. A very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are great. You can walk right out to pool or lake.
1 Thank DianeRyd
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Upon checking in, I realized that I didn't get the room I thought I booked. I booked a king room with a jacuzzi and a fireplace and received a king with two bedrooms. I went to the front desk to explain the situation and the front dresk associated said I could either release the room for a $25 fee and if they were able to rebook it I wouldn't get charged ($269/night); I could see if someone with a queen size room and fireplace wanted to trade; or, I could get $100 off the room. I asked for a full refund with a $25 fee and the associate said that wasn't an option. I asked to speak to the manager and was told the manager was on the phone with her husband who was sick. I said I would wait and waited 20 minutes to speak to the manager who never showed. The front desk associate reiterated my options and asked if I would like the manager to give me a call. I provided my phone number and said if it was possible to switch to the queen sized room, I would. Of course, the manager never called but I did get a call from the front desk associate saying we had been switched. (still at the same price of $269/night). The room was outdated and didn't have any instruction/information for pool hours, where to get ice, how to operate the fire place, etc. Additionally, there wasn't a phone in the room to call anyone for assistance.
The next day, I was switched to a standard king size room. The first thing I noticed was used toilet paper on the bathroom floor. There was no soap in the dispenser and the mini fridge was not working. At 1:00a.m. we heard a rattle at the door and the person kept trying to get in. I answered the door and a couple apologized. They had been given the same room key! Had the bolt not been locked they would've come right in. In the morning, I made the front desk associate aware of the situation. There was no apology, instead she blamed me saying we got the wrong room! And, stated that everything was okay. I think she missed the point that the wrong was double booked.
Aside from all the problems we experienced, I still wouldn't consider this a luxury resory- Most rooms do not have a great view, the rooms are outdated, the complimentary morning buffet is all muffins and doughnuts, and the customer service is horrible.
I tried calling today to speak with a manager about the experience and was given the run around. For the price, there are a lot nicer facilities out there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Justin S

Travellers are raving about these South Haven hotels

northern suburbs, chicago
Reviewed 2 December 2013

A very good value for the area. We have stayed here at least a dozen times with family and friends. If your comfortable with rustic (dated) feel choose the less expensive rooms, it you need modern and shiny you have to rent higher priced room. The suites are great for up to 6 people and come with small kitchens.
On the property you can swim in small outdoor pool, enjoy the open spaces, grills and tables outside each room. Beautiful sunsets from the lawn or sunset deck!
Just down the street from down town and public beach.

And yeas the owner is crabby but she takes pride in her property. She also puts out a great breakfast with homemade treats.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph

Been to Lake Bluff Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!