“1st B&B stay ever and loved it!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Carriage House at the Harbor
Ranked #4 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Since there aren't many(if any) nice hotels in the South Haven area and my wife is super picky I took a leap of faith and booked a night at the Carriage House as an alternative and both came away very impressed. The place was as nice as advertised on their website - rooms were clean & comfortable, no mildew smells, great view of waterway from balcony, short walk to town/beach. Dave the owner was very friendly and helpful.

BTW - the breakfast was fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 June 2011

...Whether tis nobler in the mind to stay at another South Haven B&B and undergo the outrageous slings and arrows of outrageous owners or
undergo a sea of troubles at an inferior B&B and by doing so, totally feel horrible instead of rested at departure.
To rest to sleep to work no more and by a sleep to say we end the heartache and the thousand unnatural cell phone ring tones heard outside these comforting walls. Aye, this is the best bed and breakfast in South Haven. Terrific owners, friendly, quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My husband and I went to South Haven for a long weekend and had a great time! The Carriage House Inn was perfect- the house was beautiful, the people (staff and guests) were so nice! The owners David and Suzanne were wonderful and so helpful with suggesting things to do, places to eat, and driving directions. We definitely give the Carriage House 5 Stars and hope to go back and stay there again very soon!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lolander
Reviewed 9 May 2011

This is the third consecutive year we have stayed at the Carriage House and each visit is unique. We have a "bucket list" agenda to stay in all of the twelve rooms eventually. David, Suzanne and Khaki are gracious hosts and have made our visits memorable. The food is amazing, the hospitality perfect and the rooms always clean and comfortable. The location between the marina and the lake makes for some great views, either from your private balcony or the common outdoor areas. Khaki, the canine host, is sweet and very well groomed and trained. We can't wait to go back next year..

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2011

We were looking for a relaxing getaway and this b&b fit the bill perfectly. The rooms are comfortable and peaceful (we had a view of the harbor), there are plenty of common sitting areas for reading and relaxing, there's a cabinet full of DVDs to pick from. And best of all, the breakfasts are delicious, especially the scones with Devonshire cream.

It was off-season, so the b&b was largely empty, which suited us fine. More of a problem was that a lot of places in South Haven (restaurants and shops) aren't open or have limited hours in the off-season. We'll certainly go back in warmer weather, though.

Finally, for dinner it's completely worth it to drive to Fennville and go to Salt of the Earth. Delicious!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Get innkeepers, great food, get location! We'll be back in August.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2011

We only stayed at the Carriage House for one Saturday night as we were just looking for a quick getaway outside of home. Upon arriving, we were given a tour of our room and all of the features of our room and a brief tour of the common areas.

My biggest criticism of the Carriage House is that it felt much more like a nice hotel than a bed and breakfast. I think there is a lot of room for personal touches to be added to the accommodations to make guests feel extra welcome. A chocolate on the pillow, perhaps? Or a notecard welcoming us to our room?

Other than the dining room and our own room, I feel like we only got to see a small portion of the house. It would have been nice to see some of the other guest rooms that might not have been occupied (although quite fairly, I do know they were full by the end of the night).

The service was good, but didn't blow me away. Had I not read the history of the house online, for example, I would have known absolutely nothing about it. Of course, I could have asked, but I expect a little bit of that to be automatically shared with guests, or a writeup to be posted somewhere.

The breakfast was quiche with a few other small things. I thought it was very good, but that I probably could have made it at home. The menu is preset, so you get what is on the menu for the day. It would have been nice to have an A or B option that you might select the previous day, like I've had at other B&Bs.

The evening appetizer was chips and veggies with artichoke dip, and I must admit, it was phenomenal.

My biggest compliment is that the room was incredibly clean and nicely decorated. It was truly spotless, and I really appreciated that.

I'm not sure if we'll be back or not. I've got a feeling this location is consistently good, but not great. I might try to find a smaller B&B where I feel like I am getting the truly personal experience.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple