Carriage House at the Harbor
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in South Haven
See available hotels
Old Harbor Inn(South Haven)
  • Pool
Hotel Nichols(South Haven)
View Hotel
Sun n Sand Resort(South Haven)
View Hotel
All reviewswhite chapelsconesbed and breakfastb bmy husband and igreat view of the harborprivate balconyother guestslake michiganthird floornice treatsitting roomwonderful weekendbreakfast was deliciousromantic getawaywe've stayedboth mornings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was my our first B&B experience ever and wow! What an introduction! We stayed in the Barouche room, which was beautifully decorated. The DVD library, board games, books, magazines, and afternoon cookies & popcorn were a huge bonus. The staff were friendly and generous and ready to help with any questions we had. The best part was the view-a breathtaking view of the harbor from our private balcony. Plus, we were directly across the street from Lake Michigan-it was a perfect location! I can't say enough about the breakfasts-very yummy! You won't be disappointed if you decide to stay here.

2  Thank Melissa G
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The location and accomodations are excellent. BUT a 3:00 checkin means doors are locked until then with a note with directions to public restrooms. Likewise, breakfast is served AT 9:00 and not a minutecearlier. Breakfast was good but was totally plated- all at once. No choice for more, or, for that matter, less. This place is run for the convenience of management and not for that of the guests. Actually I believe in rules and efficient choices but for me this was over the top and not a comfy reasonably laid back vacation feeling. I will not stay there again.

5  Thank FranB24
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at the Carriage House and visited South Haven for the first time. And a first time at a Bed and Breakfast. What a great time! The Innkeeper was smiling and hospitable and answered all our questions about places to see. Upon our arrival there was fresh popcorn and cookies...(and that popcorn scent was so intoxicating!) Our room was charming yet modern. It was impeccably clean and we enjoyed the whirlpool. How fun to have the beach so close, we loved sitting on our deck overlooking the harbor with a glass of wine, and the short walk to town was perfect. Breakfast was unbelievable...so delicious and so varied. We shared a table with another couple and found we had so much in common...I believe we made new friends and hope to see them here again. This was a wonderful stay and we will definitely be back! Can't wait to try another season when we can utilize the fireplace. Thanks for a memorable stay!

Room Tip: A room with a harbor view is fantastic!
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were excited to stay based on the reviews, but ended up being very disappointed. The room was advertised as having a large deck with a great view of the harbor. The deck was actually small and only one of the chairs had a view of the harbor. The inside of the B & B was clean but the outside needed a lot of TLC. Weeds were present everywhere and the railings leading to the entrance were filthy. The outside of the house and the decks also needed cleaning. When we asked about breakfast we were told it is only served at 9:00AM. We asked if anything at all could be packed to go and were told they might be able to throw a scone our way. When we left at 8:00 AM the office was still closed so we left without anything. We were not offered a discount since we could not be there for breakfast. The room might be worth $150.00 in season but certainly not the $275.00 plus tax that we had to pay. All in all a terrible disappointment!

7  Thank Jerry829
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I will first start out by saying that if you are under the age of 50, do not book a room at this place! My husband and I chose South Haven for our honeymoon due to it being a relatively short drive from home as well as it's location near Saugatuck and southwest Michigan's "fruit belt" with all of it's wineries. We chose the Carriage House based upon reviews as well as location near the beach and downtown. The innkeeper has a "salty" personality that rubbed us the wrong way immediately upon our arrival. She clearly does not care much for younger people and made a few comments about us recently being married that I did not appreciate. She did not go out of her way at all to be welcoming and seemed like she was unhappy going through the motions of running the place day after day. I will say that it was clean and very nice on the inside and outside (if you are looking for the older appeal of a Victorian style home). I do not know why people keep ranting and raving about the scones and cream...they were extremely small and tasteless. The cream tasted like Greek yogurt, nothing out of the ordinary. If you want a place with stellar customer service, we do not recommend. I suggest going south where there is at least some degree of hospitality. Can't believe we paid so much to feel so unwelcomed. How this place keeps getting five star reviews is beyond me.

• Stayed: July 2014