“First Class All The Way!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Carriage House at the Harbor
Ranked #4 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
West Bloomfield, MI
Reviewed 7 April 2005

This B&B is first class all the way! We have stayed at B&B's throughout the country and can see why this one has been recognized as a AAA 4-diamond. We couldn't imagine a better view. No matter what time of the day it was, we relaxed and felt like we truly got away just looking out at the Harbor. We enjoyed the horsdourves very much and would recommend bringing your favorite bottle of wine along. Breakfast was different every morning and was nothing like what we had experienced at other B&B's. We couldn't disagree more with the last reviewer. We were not disappointed with a thing and would challenge anybody to find a better place to watch the sun rise. We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Jackson, MI
Reviewed 4 April 2005

This is a "no personality" kind of inn. Yes, it's got a nice location, but that's about it. Claims to be a 4-star AAA place but I don't see the connection. To me this would mean really obvious service and luxuries, and this B&B is just so-so.
There are no luxuries in the baths, no special china, no flowers, no extraordinary furniture, decorating has nothing that says 1st class. I was greeted somewhat indifferently, never saw anyone when I needed some directions, the food wasn't anything better (special) than a local diner would make. All in all, I wasn't impressed. This is an ordinary place pretending to be something more. I won't be back.

• Stayed: March 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 27 March 2005

I didn't think this was such a great B&B. I have been to many others that offer
more. Food was average, even though there was lots of it. I thought the 4-star rating would mean lots of luxuries, but obviously it doesn't. Rooms are pretty but still kind of done on the cheap. Artwork was cheap. Views of the South Haven harbor were pretty, even in winter, and the staff was nice but hardly enthusiastic. We never met an owner. All in all, nothing is awful here but nothing is extraordinary either.

• Stayed: January 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 March 2005

Not that AAA is the most reliable source for ratings (I prefer TripAdvisor myself) I was coaxed into trying this B&B because BOTH had good reviews.
Well, it's NOT all THAT. I think the biggest disappointment was expecting it to be more than it claims it is. Yes, the views of the harbor are nice, but the inn's a bit tired. There are no live-in owners so it misses the up close and personal touch, even though the staff was very nice. The food was average, especially the hors d'oeuvres which were just fair. Amenities don't run very deep and the decor is more country craft fair than Victorian. This B&B is certainly adequate but it isn't spectacular. Winter rates are very low, but now this makes more sense to me.

• Stayed: January 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Trenton, Michigan
Reviewed 11 July 2004

From the first time we stayed at the Carriage House at the Harbor, we were hooked. It is pure luxury without feeling uncomfortable or stuffy. The manager and staff are the absolute best-very gracious, friendly and helpful. Going to the Carraige House is the only vacation we need. A great little town, the Black River, the awesome beach and boats-what more could anyone need.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Plainwell, MI
Reviewed 10 January 2004

The Carriage House at The Harbor was the most amazing weekend I have ever had! It was an escape right into a little piece of heaven on earth. It was so perfect.. It sparked something in my relationship that I wont ever forget. I would recommend it to anyone!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mt. Pleasant, MI
Reviewed 18 December 2003

Best breakfast we've ever had! One block from the beautiful beach. We had a fabulous time!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#6 of 16 in South Haven
Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn
Inn at the Park Bed & Breakfast
Kingsley House Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Carriage House at the Harbor? Share your experiences!