“After 20 years `--never again”
Review of Old Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Haven
Old Harbor Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Chicago, Illinois
“After 20 years `--never again”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We have been going to Old Harbor Inn several times a year for more than 20 years. Our stay in mid- August 2012 was our last. The carpets were filthy, we had to call the desk to get trash removed ,sheets and blankets were left pulled out and wrinkled at the bottm of the bed but the spread was pulled up to cover them. I had a letter sent to me at the Inn.I asked at the desk if it had arrived__it could not be found. The next day the manager told me he put it under my door, since we did not get it the maid must have taken it. She was not working that day the manager couldn't question her. A month has passed and I have heard nothing from Mr. Marple. In light of this terrible service,filthy carpets, and incompetent and dis-interested management all future visits to So. Haven will be spent at the Comfort Suites.

Room Tip: Stay at a different motel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank John K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Bartlett
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed at the Old Harbor Inn in late August, 2012. Having read several of the reviews, I pretty much knew what to expect. It is an older, more rustic property. The carpeting needs to be replaced throughout. Our room was very big and had been recently renovated (except for the carpet). The beds were very comfortable and we had a nice big window looking out on the street below. Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is situated on the harbor close to lots of shops, restaurants and a great wine bar. The hotel was a little expensive, but there isn't much in town. The front desk person was nice, but very young and perhaps new at her job. I think we would probably stay there again. Our friends paid about $225 a night for a room with a balcony overlooking the harbor and they were disappointed because the balcony was extremely small - barely room for two chairs. Don't pay extra for the balconies. Also, beware of the noise factor on the weekends. The walls are thin.

Room Tip: There is a bar located on one end of the hotel. If you want a quieter room, stay at the other end...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Visitor023
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My sister and I took our mother on an overnight trip to South Haven. Considering there wasn't much on the waterfront (accomodations) and looking at comments before we went we pretty much got what we were expecting. The hotel is very old and dirty. I will say the room was very large including a living room, small kitchen, and bedroom. We asked the front desk for more sheets and blankets because the blankets in the closet were dirty. After waiting an hour I went to the front desk and they said they had knocked. They also said they called the room but didn't get an answer. I said well probably because the phone is in the closet. The front desk clerk asked why it was in there and I stated I don't know that's where it was when we checked in. We assumed it was unplugged and in the closet because it didn't work. The carpet was dirty and the sofa had stains on it. The place needs a total renovation.....

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Tayalee

Travellers are raving about these South Haven hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my friends, we had two rooms and they were wonderful! The beds are comfortable and the view of the river and South Haven is amazing. However, when we arrived at the hotel the front desk lady would not even stand up and point us in the right direction after giving us the keys, when we asked for direction again, she again just pointed a finger and was no help, again we asked and she didn't give any additional directions. There are several passage ways to get to all of the rooms and it is confusing. Other interactions with the staff were equally as frustrating. Someone sent me a gift while staying at the hotel and the staff never gave it to me and when asking about it at check out, the young lady at the front desk had no idea what to do, I never got it. The room was also EXTREMELY loud during the day because of the bar downstairs.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Joyce L
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 13 August 2012

What a perfect place to stay. My wife and I rode our bikes from Kalamazoo and were totally worn out when we arrived. They had a place to store our bikes and trailors. We were checked in quickly and found ourselves in a gorgeous room looking out our private balcony on the harbor, also a big window over the cute shops and York's landing, and a bay window overlooking the yacht club! There is no place better to kick back are relax after a long ride.

We had our choice of great restaurants to walk to. Then we watched the sunset while the boats were coming in for the night, passing under our balcony. The bed and linens are truly wonderful. We woke very well rested. After a leisurely morning stroll to the beach and a lovely breakfast nearby we took off on our ride back to Kalamazoo. For those of you who bike, the trail is tree covered and historic. The Old Harbour Inn at the end of the trail is a perfect pairing.

BUT THEN, after driving three hours home from Kalamazoo I realized I left my new electric razor at the hotel. NO PROBLEM! They bubble wrapped it, packed it in styrofoam peanuts, and shipped it to me the next day.

What great customer service! We are going back again and again. With or without bikes!

Room Tip: Room 12 is fabulous. Let them know what you like and they will take great care of you.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joe J
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This was the perfect location. We could park across the street for free and walk or bike whereever we liked. Our first room was charming but had filthy carpeting. We mentioned it at the desk and they immediately moved us with a nice upgrade. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The hallway outside of our first room was a cobblestone brick. It was a bit trying to walk on and w...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CincyVacationGirl
Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here because family had stayed in the past and enjoyed it. Well we didn't splurge for the grande suite so I guess we didn't get the grand treatment. Our room carpet felt nasty to walk on barefooted, the cream colored chairs were covered in stains, the leg broke off the chair, the desk chair wouldn't adjust, so it also was broke. We complained and they said they would discount our bill, and then we tried to take a shower in the morning, sorry no hot water, Well with no manager on site the girl gave us as much a discount as she could, but we still paid way to much, we will NEVER stay here again. Oh totally forgot how nasty the pool area looked, the water was the only thing clean looking. Just remembered the mold in the bathtub faucet handle.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
#8 of 11 in South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Old Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!