“Wonderful Service But Rooms Below Par”

Holiday Inn Express South Haven
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Wonderful Service But Rooms Below Par”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

When we first saw this hotel in South Haven, we were extremely disappointed. Part of our disappointment stemmed from the fact that we had stayed in a wonder Holiday Inn Express in Holland and were expecting something similar. It's surprising that these two hotels are even in the same chain.

The room, which had two queen beds and a twin sofa bed, was spacious with a small refrigerator and microwave, but not clean. Someone had smeared the mirrors in the room and there were also a child's fingerprints. Mildew lurked above the shower stall as did a spider squatting in a cobweb. There was one piece of tissue in the dispenser in the bathroom. In the hallway a ceiling tile had fallen down and crumbled on the floor. The pool is small, there is no real place to sit. The windows around the pool area were clouded with steam and hard water deposits. We contemplated finding another room, but because it was late, and it was for only a couple of nights, we decided to stay.

For the two nights we stayed there the room was adequate. The beds seemed clean. The room didn't smell. Some of the shabbiness of the hotel should be addressed through a renovation.

I would probably have given this hotel two stars if it weren't for the wonderful service. The people working at this hotel are very friendly, in our experience more friendly than at many of the other hotels we have stayed. On our last day there, the employee managing the breakfast area noticed that we didn't make it down for breakfast in time, and gave my husband a tray of food left over from the breakfast period. That kind of kindness and personal touch made us feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

My family had a nice time visiting South Haven. The hotel is a stone's throw to Sherman's Ice Cream and Walmart...in case you run out of anything. I'd recommend reserving a suite for a little extra room. The continental breakfast was good and they constantly replenished the food. Fresh fruit, eggs, pasties, protiens, coffees, milk and juice were a plenty. Coffee and tea are offered 24 hrs. The pool is a okay, a tad dated, but it is clean. They are undergoing a renovation, but did effect our stay at all.

• Stayed July 2011
River Forest Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Hallway carpet very dirty. Room had unusual odor. Not my typical holiday inn express. Very disappointed and requested for a refund.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank pagnaa
Canton, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

Although the rooms were mostly nice with a flat screen TV, a microwave and mini fridge, the carpet in our room was very soiled, giving me an overall feeling that the room wasn't clean. I didn't even want to walk around without shoes. Then we couldn't connect to the wifi provided for our entire stay. Tried calling down to the front desk to inquire about it and the phone just rang and rang so I gave up. We didn't use it,but the pool area is very small and they don't even provide any chairs or tables which I thought was weird. I could see how the pool would be a big disappointment for families interested in swimming. I personally thought the breakfast was great though. They had make yourself pancakes, then they also served biscuits and gravy along with sausage or bacon. The fresh and warm cinnamon rolls were my favorite though. The only thing it was lacking was some fresh fruit, at least some apples and bananas would have been nice. Coffee and tea is offered 24/7 in the lobby which is a nice perk. There was some construction going on to the outside of the building, and the noise started at about 8:30 each morning, but I was up by then anyway so it didn't really bother me. The hotel is a great location and just a short drive to downtown South Haven and the beach. Overall this stay didn't knock my socks off or anything, but if I got a good deal again I'd probably return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

We have stayed in many HIE and had a great stay at South Haven. They were doing construction outside so was a little concerned about the noise, but never started before 9 am or so. The breakfast and staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful!

The rooms were very clean and remained so throughout our week. And with sand from the beach and two little kids this is tough to do! Loved the large fridge in the room as well!

Our only complaint would be the pool and pool area. It certainly needs a little attention. It could certainly use a little updating, but more then that had such high levels of chlorine that my little boy screamed and cried when he got some in his eyes. Aside from that great stay!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

I'm a Priority Club member, and I'm very familiar with HIEs. I admit - I originally wanted to stay in St. Joseph, because the HIE reviews seemed to be better, but I didn't have enough points for a free night there. I was a little concerned upon pulling up and seeing the ongoing renovations, but quickly realized that I had nothing to worry about.

This is a charming hotel with friendly and professional employees. It's clean, just off the highway, and a quick drive from downtown South Haven. Upon arrival, we were in our room only a few minutes when the front desk attendant called to confirm that everything was ok. The employees were very helpful when we asked for recommendations about things to do locally. Check-in and check-out were a breeze.

Basically, it appears that management hasn't taken feedback and is taking action to implement improvements - what more can you ask? Once the renovations are complete, it's going to be just that much better. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

We frequently stay at holiday inn expresses because we know that they consistently offer a certain level of quality, however, the holiday inn express in south haven was the exception. We were very disappointed in this hotel and certainly glad we only stayed one night. To start with, when we entered the room, it smelled very stale. We tried to take a nap, but some exterior construction right below our window made that impossible. The construction workers were cutting stone, with the loud noise persisting for hours. We told the front desk about the two issues; they apologized for the construction saying it wouldnt start again until after checkout the next day. Regarding the smell, they said they hadn't had compliants about our room before. With no solution, we left the window open all night and bought a candle. The shower head was super low, my husband is 5'6'' and the shower was too low for even him. The breakfast area was small, we had to eat in our room because there wasn't any place to sit. Finally, we heard the construction workers show up at 830 (well before checkout). All in all our stay was very disappointing. Particularly regarding the construction noise and the smell, I'm annoyed that we had to pay as much as we did to stay there.

• Stayed June 2011
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph

Been to Holiday Inn Express South Haven? Share your experiences!