“Great staff, poor management”

Holiday Inn Express South Haven
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Several large potholes in the parking lot at the only entrance and around the building where everyone has to drive should have clued me in to the experience I would have. Desk clerks and maids were amazing, but this hotel is lacking support for their staff. Our mattresses were too soft and had permanent grooves where people had slept-my back ached from sleeping on them. When I asked about a room change, and the hotel was full, I was reimbursed due to the poor condition of the mattresses. I really appreciated that. Breakfast was decent and restocked. Our room was not cleaned by 4:00 when we wanted to nap before dinner so we just changed out our towels. Why don't they have enough maids to finish earlier than that? Our TV remote changed the volume on the TV when changing the channels-obviously something wrong there. When I couldn't sleep, I noticed that the TV screen was lighting up a few seconds when the refrigerator cycled on, and the outlet into which the refrigerator was plugged did not work all the time. The refrigerator sometimes turned off right away like it was pulling too much electricity. There is an obvious wiring problem, and I found that scary. I won't stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Elevator is very noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank momzanurs
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear momzanurs,

Thank you so much for the feedback provided from your stay. It is good to know that after some initial issues you had with the room amenities, this was rectified. However, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced due to the mattress condition and housekeeping service. We appreciate you taking the time to provide critical feedback which we use to help us improve our services for you and all our future guests.

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I do hope you will give us another try.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We are currently staying here for a few days while we travel back home from Canada. It is not far from the beaches, it is clean and the staff is friendly. It is a good value for the price, plus it has a complementary hot breakfast that has something for everybody. No complaints, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dsteward
Reviewed 5 July 2014

An OK hotel. It seemed clean enough and that's my number one priority so no complaints there.
I don't mean to nitpick but c'mon front desk staff, do something about your clothes!
All of them wore the same polo type shirt that seemed to be uni-sex shirts and therefore 2 sizes too large with the shoulder seams that hung part way down their upper arms. One girl had what appeared to be sweat pants (or something similarly made) that were pushed up to her knees, with gym shoes. Very, very unprofessional looking for front desk staff which sort of turned me off from the get go.
Other than that, the hotel is in a somewhat convenient location to downtown South Haven, has a very nice pool area, treadmills, wi-fi that is pretty much useless and a free continental breakfast that is pretty decent.
Over all, I would probably stay there again if I am ever back in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear darkeyes,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding our hotel. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our location, pool facility and breakfast served. It is regrettable that the WiFi provided and the appearance of our staff fell below your standards. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will be used for our improvement.

I hope that you give us another chance to provide you with a more satisfying stay in the future.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express South Haven after passing up Hampton Inn. I was very impressed with this hotel. The night staff was extremely helpful. We had our three children with us including our 3 year old daughter and 1 year old son. Traveling with two toddlers is very challenging. Wednesday, the desk clerk, took care of all of our wants as if she it was no big deal at all. I was so impressed by her. Our room was beautiful. Two nice queen beds. A large flat panel television with Comcast cable. It including over 100 channels including HBO. We had a large dorm style refrigerator and microwave. The pool was small but quite nice. The morning breakfast buffet was excellent. There was muffins, bagels, bananas, cereal, oatmeal, milk, oranges, yogurt, pancakes, cheese omelets, sausage, sausage links, biscuits and gravy, orange juice, cranberry juice, and coffee with international delight flavored creamer. The chef was very nice and very helpful with all of our requests. The morning shift was also very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again when we visit south haven.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank funplacesngoodfood
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is so convenient to the beaches in South Haven and always a nice quiet place to stay. The hot breakfast bar is always great! Personnel are always very helpful and very easy to talk to. This is a well managed hotel.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from elevators = less noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tlh_illinois
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hotel has been recently renovated, and the rooms look awesome! It was a very clean hotel, and the service was fantastic! It's super close to the highway, and also the downtown beach area. Breakfast had some good options, I would stay here again!

Room Tip: We had a room on the 1st floor right across from the breakfast area, so I was concerned about noise...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Akv2189
Kevin C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express South Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Akv2189,

Thank you so much for staying with us! We love sharing our recently renovated hotel with our guests! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your time here! Come back and see us soon!

Kevin Christians

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is a nice hotel. Pretty standard Holiday Inn Express. Hotel is within a mile or so of downtown South Haven and the beach. Close to the interstate but not so close to be annoying.

Front desk staff were friendly upon arrival and throughout our stay. Hotel was clean and smelled fresh. We were disappointed to learn there was no hot tub, which seems odd by today's hotel standard, especially the Holiday Inn and in Michigan. Pool was nice. For those of you who read our reviews for the fitness facility quality in the hotel, sorry, we didn't make it in this room on this trip; however, I did see there was some equipment.

The room was comfortable. Microwave (free popcorn), refrigerator (two bottles of water). Bed was super comfortable. The room was a two room suite which was laid out kind of odd. The couch and a TV were in a side room which was long and narrow with no door. I think they were going for a living room but it would be difficult to watch TV in there and in the room with the bed because they are basically, well, the same room, with a divided by a wall. I suggest the hotel management take out the wall and rearranging the room, or add a door.

Breakfast was very good. Eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, and the signature Holiday Inn cinnamon roles - those things are really good; a little more and fresher fruit options would be good. There is a pancake maker, and the typical other assorted breakfast items. Breakfast is open until 10:30 a.m. on the weekends which is a great idea when you are basically on a time zone boarder. Breakfast attendant was friendly and helpful keeping items stocked.

South Haven could support another couple of hotels as rooms are limited in this popular place. If you are going to South Haven the Holiday Inn Express is a nice place to stay, just don't expect a hot tub, unless you get one in your room.

Room Tip: Don't choose a suite if there is only two of you. There is extra space but it is not very suite...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Irishrover1019
Kevin C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express South Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Irishrover1019,

Thank you so much for choosing Holiday Inn Express in South Haven! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time spent not only in South Haven, but at our hotel as well. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review and suggestions for our property. Because we are committed to providing an excellent hotel to our guests, we welcome all feedback. Comments like yours help us improve the quality and service in the future. Thank you!

Kevin Christians

The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Best Western Plaza Hotel Saugatuck

Been to Holiday Inn Express South Haven? Share your experiences!