“Awesome shop owners, great priced books!”
Review of Black River Books

Ranked #2 of 10 Shopping in South Haven
Burkburnett, Texas
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Awesome shop owners, great priced books!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The shop owners, Dick and Pam, are wonderful, friendly people. I am welcomed with a smile everytime I walk in. The books they sell are used and new and are sold at very fair prices. Every kind of book you could think of is in this store: biography, fiction, childrens/teens, cooking, gardening, religious, psychology and much more. They also have two labradoodles, Booker and Dewey, who are even more friendly than the owners! This bookstore is honestly the best bookstore I've ever shopped at.

Visited February 2014

Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Loved this place!”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Darling little shop of treasures! If you like books of all kinds, you will love this shop! Books for everyone of all ages and from many different eras. Old books that one would want to sit and leaf through for hours, new books from local authors and illustrators, informational books, picture books, fiction, nonfiction, oh get me back there!! Now! Owners are helpful and very friendly, as are the two huge dogs who came from around the corner as we entered the store!!! After gasping at their size and the shock at seeing two of them approaching me, I soon realized they were harmless and just as curious as I at meeting new friends. After a couple warm pats and acknowledgments, these lovable giants disappeared back behind the book shelves up front!l I truly think I could spend hours and tons of money in this wonderful shop!!! Oddly enough, after buying a few books and a tee shirt I found myself being hurried out by my husband who suddenly had other errands to run! Hhhhmmmm Highly recommend this place to anyone visiting the area!!! You will feel right at home!!

Visited January 2014
Saginaw
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Can't leave the store without one!”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We went to this little family run bookstore, which can be seen from Black River Tavern downtown, after our lunch there. It's full of new & old books, used books, first editions, autographed books, and various other treasures. It's packed to the brim. There's display tables of new books, and shelf after shelf of used books. We ended up there twice, after I discovered my husband had coveted a new book there but refused to pay good money on himself. So we went back to get one for my granddaughter (after I got hold of her to see which one was missing from her collection), and I grabbed the one he wanted. It was written about a plane wreck many decades ago in that area, and had just been published a couple months ago. He has thoroughly enjoyed it, and might not have ever noticed it where we live. The people who run the place are friendly, and it seems there's a couple large dogs in residence; must be in charge of the pet section. We were happy to contribute to the off-season economy of this little place.

Visited October 2013
South Haven, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Wonderful book store. New and used books. Good coffee and comfy chairs. Friendly owners and Dewy and Booker the labradoodles just add to the perfect atmosphere of this bookstore.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sheral B
Chicago, IL
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“If you're a bibliophile, you'll love Black River Books”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

A rainy Saturday is the perfect time to go to Black River Books. Located just a block off South Haven's main drag, Black River Books is a friendly, cozy place with something for everyone. Three easy chairs in front near the coffee pot and cookie jar, make it easy to settle in and peruse whatever you choose from the stacks. Booker and Dewey are the 4 legged friends who will gaze forlornly at you while you're enjoying your treat. They are large but friendly. We stayed for a couple of hours and greatly enjoyed chatting with the owners, as well as some other customers who seemed to make regular visits (they bring treats for the dogs and knew their names). A wide selection of books, including a "signed by the author" section, and some rareties, like a first edition "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote, signed by the author. If you're a bibliophile, you'll love Black River Books.

Visited October 2012