“Great View, good food”

Captain Lou's
Ranked #6 of 68 Restaurants in South Haven
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Missouri
“Great View, good food”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Last year we wrote: "Eating outside at Captain Lou's on a balmy, beautiful day is a really good idea!" And that's still true! And last year we got the fish tacos for $9.00 and we said: Next time we plan on trying the basket of Perch, served with fries, at $12.75. And that's what we did! Food was still tasty, wait staff is friendly and attentive and yes, we would go back again. Our total for the two perch baskets, one iced tea and two beers was over $40.00 - so this is not the best value for bar food. They also have a variety of appetizers, sandwich's, wraps, burgers and salads Price aside, Captain Lou's is a fun spot for dining when you can be on the deck with great views in lovely weather.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank FurtherOnDownTheRoad

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Why is there a nutshell in my salad?”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

8/4/14-Finally decided to try Captain Lou's after 8 years of blueberry festivals. Perch basket, shrimp basket were good. Chips and salsa were lousy. A few chips with a salsa and a corn salsa dip. Very disappointing. Our waitress didn't know what an Arnold Palmer was. My wife and I shared a blueberry feta salad, which has walnuts in it. Delicious. As I was nearing the bottom of the salad, I suddenly chomped on something very hard...it turned out to be a walnut shell....usually not found in salads. When our waitress come around and asked, "how is everything?" I replied, "I found a walnut shell in my salad, and almost broke my tooth." She says, "that's weird?" I said, "No. A rusty nail would be weird." I looked for a manager....there were only 3 waitresses, a busboy, and a cook. I guess comping the salad was out of the question. STAY AWAY FROM THE BLUEBERRY SALAD....OR HOLD THE NUTS. Plenty of other places to eat.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Mike C
Indiana
“Great portion sizes”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Sat outside and enjoyed the evening with my wife. Fish and chips (wasn't what it was called on the menu, but is what it was essentially) was really good...attentive staff...really easy to find...

Northbrook
“Great deck, music and fun atmosphere”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a fun place to hang out. More surprising was how good the food was. Perch & chips were excellent - so unexpected! I had a cheeseburger that tasted as good as it smelled. Extensive beer menu. Drop in - you'll like it!

Rochester, Michigan
“Great outdoor eating spot.”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We enjoy sitting outside and Captain Lou's offers some seating right on the river. Great burgers, sandwiches and apps. Full bar - and music on some nights. It's crazy busy in July and August so you may want to go early to assure the best seating!