“VERY BAD EXPERIENCE”

Comfort Suites South Haven
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We have stayed here before (about 6 yrs ago) and we had no problems. The lobby, breakfast area & room all looked neat & clean, but then I went to the bathroom in our room & OMG :( It was disgusting. There was clumps of hair in the shower, old soap from the previous guest and food behind the toilet. When I unfolded the towels, they were ALL stained. I know it's a hotel, but I expect to see a clean towels, not beige with black mystery spots. We were very disgusted by the situation, but it was late & we had been traveling all day. The next morning I made the front desk clerk aware of the situation & asked if housekeeping could clean the bathroom & freshen up the room. When we came back late that night, the room had not been touched & we had no clean linens. The front desk staff was very nice & helpful, but the overall experience was horrible.

Room Tip: Make sure it's clean
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 February 2013

We rode our snowmobiles all day and showed up at 10pm to a very friendly, helpful and down-to-earth receptionist. Our room was surprisingly huge and considerably clean. We did an online reservation and really didnt expect to have kingsized bed, flat screen tv, table and chairs, comphy couch, office desk area, nice bathroom with a separate room that had a large jacuzzi. And there also was a fridge, microwave, and a safe. Free wifi in the room worked great. And the best part, it was a grand total of $77.00! We almost stayed next door at Holiday Inn for double the cost and not any extras. It was too late to head out for dinner, so we ordered Pizza Hut straight to our room about midnight. Continental breakfast had large variety of sausage and hot scrambled eggs, fruits, cereals, donuts/pasties and juices and coffee. Quick check out and off we were back to the trails!! Safe secure parking lot with hidden cameras made us feel good about parking the sleds out there.

Room Tip: If your a light sleeper ask to not be near the stairs. We were next to them but it didnt disturb our...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chablah
Reviewed 29 October 2012

This motel was clean, comfortable and the staff were very friendly and helpful. They obviously tried their best to please the guests. The hotel as a whole, on the other hand, needed some owner-adjustments. The excerise room had broken equipment and was extremely hot. A fan would have made all the difference. The motel was difficult to find, since it sat behind another and had no directional signs to find your way around back to the hotel. When we arrived after dark, the hotel sign wasn't lighted and the small sign at the drive-way had a bulb burned out, making it difficult to see. One of the stair rails was loose and needed tightening. All of these items were mentioned to the desk clerk, so I hope they were repaired/corrected. I also felt that the staff seemed a little over-worked, filling several jobs at the same time. On the good side, the breakfast was excellent and again, the staff did a great job at keeping the rooms clean, comfortable and accomodating. They also had a private room for use of the computer, which was a nice service. My overall grade would be a B+.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Check in was very easy, Great front desk staff, she did more than anyone would expect! No hot tub in pool area!!! Hot breakfast was goods but eggs are a little over cooked. Will stay here again. Also in responses to person that stated no towels in pool area, they can only put out a few at a time, I watched two kids take all 12 towles the staff had just put out and the parents didn't say a word???

Room Tip: top floor is quieter, the room was very clean, great TV and lots of stations!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ajp59
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We needed a place to stay that was close to our friends in Glen, Michigan, but also had a reasonable rate for our family. The Comfort Suites met our needs. The staff was friendly and responsive to our needs. There was a free hot breakfast which included waffles, eggs, and sausage. Although, at times, the attendent had trouble keeping items stocked and at one point was more interested in making his own waffle than helping the guests. The facility was quiet. There was a pool, small fitness facility, free parking and wifi. The room was large with high ceilings with a pull-out couch, mini refrigerator, microwave, and a safe for a fee. It did seem like the rooms were refurbished because there were dated mirror bifold doors for the closet. The bathroom had a low ceiling over the shower. It was clean except for mold on the ceiling and wall around the shower and also on the wall over the mirror. The bathroom had granite counter tops. The beds were too hard for me, but that it a subjective thing. No one else in our family complained. The hotel is located very near a Wal-Mart and other shopping.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I was very pleased with the quality of the room at this property. The beds were very comfortable, the room was clean, and the price was fair. The reason we chose this hotel was the fact it was pet friendly. There is a $25.00 a night fee for a pet. While I understand the need for a pet fee, it would be nice to get the money back after an inspection from the front desk.

The only problem I had was at check-in the agent told me we were not allowed to keep the dog in the room alone. This would have been nice to know before hand. It says nothing about it on the website or was not mentioned when I previously called the hotel.

Unfortunately, we never got to have breakfast because it ended at 9:00am every morning we were there. Since we were on vacation we never got up in time but there are plenty of places around to grab a quick bite.

Overall, our stay was pleasant and easy going.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Stayed a week before had no issues. Drove back through following weekend coming home from vacation and called to get room and front staff stated they did have 1 room left and it went up in price 74.95 we paid to 245 a night. I asked if they would honor last week rate she said put me on hold and came back and said yes. Booked it and gave her my credit card info and a few hours later while driving to the hotel to stay I received a call from her at the front desk. She stated that the manager said not she couldn't offer me that rate and they couldn't offer me a room at all and they cancelled the room and she gave me a cancellation number. We had a hard time finding any other room. Too tired to drive had to stay in a hotel that was out of our way and priced high and not very clean. Called customer service when I got back home and all they told me to do is call the owner of hotel. They wouldn't honor a verbal contract over the phone! Never will stay again in any Comfort Suites or affiliation. A sad ending to a great week.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor / St. Joseph
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Comfort Suites South Haven? Share your experiences!