“Just Perfect!”

Monroe Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Monroe Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Chicago, IL
“Just Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

We loved staying at Monroe Manor. I cannot remember ever staying at a hotel or B&B this clean. The MONROE ROOM was awesome--the coolest shower--3 shower heads and jets
all-over (albeit a little confusing to figure out how to operate at first, a card with simple directions would be helpful). What I also loved about this room was a large closet with a door, shelves, a row of hooks, and plenty of REMOVABLE (thank you) hangers....so suitcases, shopping purchases, clothes, shoes, dirty laundry, etc could all be stashed neatly out of sight and not clutter up the pristine and beautifully decorated room. Doug and Nancy are gracious hosts--easy to be around but not at all intrusive. Breakfasts were yummy and beautifully served. "happy hour" wine and cheese on the patio was relaxing and a nice touch. It was fun to come home at night and find cookies left out for us in the foyer. The beautiful house and grounds just beg you to unwind, relax, and laugh. The large outdoor jacuzzi was especially a treat, and so lovely to soak in surrounded by well-placed torches and softly-lit,well thought-out landscape and decor. I normally avoid shared jacuzzis or hot tubs but the cleanliness was unusual and obvious. There were so many little touches of luxury that were appreciated....Huge fluffy bath sheets, soft terrycloth robes, liquid body soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower, heated towel racks. For all this, the price was reasonable, you get your money's worth and more. As to reviewers who spoke of traffic noise....all I can say is... HUH? It is on a country road, away from town, and SO quiet that we found ourselves whispering so as not to disturb the peaceful stillness that seems to engulf the manor. We would (and will! ) definitely return.

2 Thank LRK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Vernon Hills, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Monroe Manor Inn for our 2 year anniversary and had a fantastic time. The breakfasts were fantastic. The first morning we had fruit parfait, a large blueberry waffle, and sausage links. The second morning we had egg casserole, bacon, fruit parfait, and a raspberry jam muffin. Both breakfasts were delicious. Some reviewers have commented that the portions were small, but my husband (who is a big eater) and I both thought that the portion sizes were more than enough. We walked away from both breakfasts stuffed.

Doug and Nancy were wonderful, pleasant hosts. Nancy gave us some great suggestions for dinner on our second night, and we loved relaxing on the awesome porch after a long day on the beach. When we booked the trip, I was disappointed that we weren't closer to downtown South Haven, but I actually didn't mind being a little further from town. The inn was a wonderful reprieve after busy days by the water!

We stayed in the Beechwood Room, which was just a tad tight. If you are a large packer, you may want to think about lightening your load. The bathroom, however, had a fantastic double headed shower. What a treat!

Clinton Township, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Just returned from my first experience away from my children, and my first experience at a Bed and Breakfast and I am ready to plan another trip in the fall. I MISS IT ALREADY! The Home was Clean Beautiful and Charming. I felt comfort, peace and right at home the moment I was greeted by Nancy. She was beyond friendly, caring and very helpful! The home is only minutes from the small town and beach area. The Beach is amazing! I have already recommended this to family!! It was nice to chat with the other couples that were staying their during our wonderful breakfast in the morning. I LOVED THE MUFFINS with the preserve in the middle and the blueberry's on the side. I would love to have that recipe!!
We stayed in the MASTER room and my favorite part was the CLAW TUB. So nice to take a bath without the little knocks of children at the door, but even better in the beautiful claw tub!

Many THANKS to Doug and Nancy and I wish you all the best. We hope we see each other again SOONER than LATER!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We just returned from four wonderful nights at the peaceful Monroe Manor Inn. Our room was immaculate and had a spacious bathroom. Heated towels---------wow--------hadn't realized what I was missing! At home I am grateful if there isn't a kids' messy mouth print on it with grape jelly! Gorgeous home--------awesome porch--------incredible frogs who visit front porch nightly!! Staff (Patty and Elsa) were attentive, professional, and very personable. Doug and Nancy felt like family and certainly were accepting and gracious hosts to us. Breakfasts were amazing and way more than we could handle!! Everything made us feel right at home--------and yet, on vacation! We were five minutes from the hectic life in town and on the beaches----but so glad to come home to our tranquil Inn where serenity reigns!! LOVED IT!! Thanks so much!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked very charming, but we chose the one with the double sinks! When you are ove...
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

My husband and I came to Monroe Manor for a relaxing weekend it this place delivered! We loved reading on the porch, relaxing on the hot tub, taking strolls on Phoenix Street and hanging out at the beach. Our room (Master Suite) was very clean, comfortable and spacious. Breakfast was also excellent. We were served peach waffles with sausage links and fruit parfaits on Day 1 and an egg/potato scramble with bacon and raspberry muffins on Day 2 :) So delicious and filling!!! Doug and Nancy were terrific hosts and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

The weather was beautiful in June which made for fresh air & open windows. If you are used to a quiet location, "get ready to rumble", because we heard the traffic of Hwy 196 all day and pretty much all night. The second night we brought in some music to play throughout the night to help overcome the noise of the traffic.

Doug was an absolutely delightful host, and was even willing to share recipes he had used for breakfast. Since the weather was beautiful, we sat on the wrap around porch outside and it seems he has learned the trick of overcoming the highway noise with music as well, so we listened to the music of a radio station as we ate breakfast.

The bedroom had plenty of space to unpack our luggage, etc. and the bed was very comfortable. All in all, this is a great "Bed" and "Breakfast". Just be sure to bring along some music to counteract the nearby highway noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway. Our room was probably the closest to the highway, which is li...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
dab313, Owner at Monroe Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
We are sorry this guest was distracted by some sort of noise but, we do not choose to play music to drown out highway noise, We play music to add to the ambiance of our guests experience at Monroe Manor Inn. The noise at our Inn is by no means a issue. We sit on a lovely 5 acre parcel very peaceful and private and if this were a issue our other reviews would reflect this.
Plainfield, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

We are frequent B&B travelers so have lots to compare Monroe Manor to. I can say that we were pretty disappointed and so was everyone else staying there at the same time. First the good: The house is beautiful and the rooms are spacious and beautiful. The bathroom was exquisite - much better than you typically find. On the first night, Doug was friendly and helpful. After that, however, it went downhill.

We were there for the weekend, and Saturday morning's breakfast was some fruit, french toast and a sausage link. I'm not a big sweet breakfast person and was looking forward to an egg dish the next day. You know how they show pictures on the website of eggs benedict and advertise a 3-course breakfast? Well, you're not going to get it. On Sunday morning, we got more yogurt and fruit, followed by a waffle and one sausage link - again. I couldn't believe that there were no fresh breads, no eggs. But the worst of the worst was when our full house of 10 let the proprietor know that the coffee was empty, and her solution was to unplug the pot and call it a morning. She never returned to refill it or clear our plates, just left us all sitting there with empty cups.

I read all the positive reviews before choosing this B&B. Maybe we got them on a bad weekend, but the female proprietor never introduced herself and didn't speak two words to any of us. We were highly disappointed in breakfast and the lack of cordiality that we've come to expect at B&B's. After all, that's why we stay there instead of a hotel. The hot tub was broken, so I hoped that they would make up for it in some way, but they didn't. $189 a night and we got a waffle for breakfast. Yeah, I have a problem with that.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrDeur
dab313, Owner at Monroe Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 5 November 2011
\We are very dissapointed that this couple was dissapointed with breakfast, over the years we have modified our servings to accomodate the majority. If someone wants more all they need to do is ask or speak up, for after everyone is served we always ask if all is ok and is there anything else we can get for anyone. it is absoutley false that anyone was ignored or denied more coffee. In fact more coffee was made and served. Our other reviews speak for themselves as far as adequate and good food served at our Inn. Yes the hot tub was down, we have no control over mechanical failure. The hot tub is a free ammenity and is not a reason to discount ones stay, and no one paid $189.00 for a room, for that is our summer rate. Rooms went for $169.00 and $179.00 for the Master suite. We as Innkeepers have family, friends, and a personal life as well as anyone else, and as far as it being a off weekend
sadly it was, and we regret to have to expose our personal lives and apologize for a profound loss in our family, but we had just returned from Chicago because Nancy's (owner) mother was laid to rest on Thursday of that week following a 6 week illness. We strive to satisfy all of our guests and the vast majority are very pleased with their stay at Monroe Manor. As the old saying goes, "You can't please everybody all of the time" and that is the case here.