Monroe Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast
US$80
ComfortSuites
Hampton Inn South Haven(South Haven)(Great Value!)
US$105
Hampton.com
Holiday Inn Express South Haven(South Haven)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$99
US$75
TripAdvisor
Hotel Nichols(South Haven)
All reviewsmaster suiteporch swinghot tubbed and breakfastb bmy husband and ihouse is beautifulnancylinens
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 July 2008

We stayed at this Bed and Breakfast on our way home from a stay at Mackinaw Island. It was absolutly beautiful, amazingly clean and the breakfast was fantastic. It would definitely be a place we would come back to and highly recommend. It is about 5 minutes from the shops and beach which make it very relaxing and private place to stay. Nancy and Doug were very informative and made us feel right at home.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 13 June 2008

My fiance and I decided we needed a relaxing weekend in a beach town that was not too far away. South Haven and the Monroe Manor B & B was a great choice for us. We got lucky because we had temperatures in the 60's & 70's when we stayed there so that helped to make it a great Lake Michigan weekend at the Monroe Manor. Doug & Nancy have owned the place for about 5 years. They have done a beautiful job of restoring the interior of the inn. The restoration of the wood floors was gorgeous. The great room on the main floor is also particularly elegant.

As one other couple pointed out-there is no older home, musty smell at this inn. As a matter of fact, a delightful smelling candle was usually burning which added to the ambience of the inn. They usually had nice music playing which was a really nice touch. There were books to read and even board games to play which is fun for a rainy day. We were served a hot, delicious breakfast every day and wine and snacks were put out for us in the afternoon. We were fortunate to see some baby ducks that had just been born on their property. They were really cute.

Our room was the Arbor Room. The linens were very luxurious and the bed is very soft. The bathroom was beautifully done with nice touches such as double shower head and a basin-bowl sink. The room was a little small and there is not a closet, so just a forewarning if you need a lot of storage space. The only other small thing is the inn is a little closer the the highway than I thought it would be but the trees block most of that out. the inn is a short drive to downtown South Haven.

The hot tub is AMAZING. It is ultra relaxing with strong jets. It has lights for night time and there were other tiki lights around the tub for a nightime soak. It was early in the season, but it looked like there was a fire pit nearby for a bonfire during the summer.

All in all-Nancy & Doug were great hosts who were helpful but not intrusive. One thing I remember the did was-It was unseasonably warm one night and the air conditioning was not on yet. Another couple was uncomfortable one night and Doug went out of his way to get them a fan for their comfort. The next morning he asked us if we were comfortable and if we wanted the AC on. It wasn't bad for us with the windows open so we were fine with it, but it was nice of Doug & Nancy to ask.

One final note-as I walked up the stairs I could see in the honeymoon/master suite which was a larger room than ours. It looked very pretty. I would reccomend that room if you need more space.

I would definitely go back there and stay with them again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank skb123
Reviewed 20 January 2008

This was was our 2nd time at the inn! I have to say it gets better and better each time we come!! The home is so romantic and relaxing. It is just minutes away from town where you can eat, shop and go to the beach! I love the location also. It is nice to be in the town during the day and know you can go back to the quiet peaceful inn to sit in the hot tub for a relaxing night.
See you soon!! Matt and Jessie

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2007

We've stayed with Doug and Nancy before, and continue to go back when we feel like a getaway. Let me say BEAUTIFUL home. The keepers walk that lovely B&B line between attentive but not overbearing. You want something; they're there. You want privacy and I swear you'd think they'd moved out if it weren't for the clean linens, wine/cheese evening snack, and incredible breakfast. Bravo for keeping an art like this alive.

Derrick & Emily

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WinamacBoiler
Reviewed 28 July 2007

Well, first of all, this was a surprise for me- my wife took me to this great historical manor as a "BabyMoon" before our child is born.

I was surprised to find a historical mansion- and exclaimed "Are we staying HERE??"

the grounds, home, friendliness, and cleanliness did not disappoint. We loved the wonderful breakfasts, personal service, and extreme attention to detail. After hundreds of guests, our hosts were not tired of telling us the story of the house or providing whatever we needed.

Monroe manor was close to South Haven, we had a great couples massage, homemade pineapple ice cream, and walks around the grounds.

Highly recommended, if not for the location, for the peace and quiet of not having to worry about anything.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple