“Disappointing process for requesting a reservation”
Review of Hotel Nichols

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Haven
Hotel Nichols
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Disappointing process for requesting a reservation”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

From the hotel's web site you cannot make a reservation, you can only request one. I submitted an inquiry online for reserving the autumn room for one night, Saturday June 22nd. The website did NOT indicated that the room "Autumn" room requested a two night stay. I submitted that request on May 15th. It took the hotel two weeks to get back to me. They called an confirmed the reservation on Thursday, May 30th. Then, two days later, I get an automated email that said due to the harborfest, they required a two night stay. Now, I'm scrambling to find another hotel and pretty much every hotel in the area is booked for that weekend. Just a terrible experience trying to get a hotel room. We go to South Haven every summer and I'll make sure never to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Neil E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Ohio
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This quaint property still shows its roots as a boarding house in the 1900's. Updated with private baths, these room still have the unique feel of the turn of the century. I stayed in the Riverview Room and had a pleasant experience. The room still have locks with actual metal keys, and moderate-level furnishings and appointments. TVs are old (although I never turned it on).

I was a little apprehensive to stay in somewhere so old, but I was very impressed an old structure could be that well maintained and cleaned. Although the hotel wasn't my style, I would stay there again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rob D
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Hotel Nichols was PERFECT for me and three girlfriends who went to the "WOW" (Women's Only Weekend) in South Haven the second weekend in November. It is centrally located in the downtown area within a block / few blocks to all the shopping, food, bars and the main venue for the event. The area is very safe, free street parking and this B&B style hotel has many unique rooms to choose from. We had 2 adjoining rooms which had its own bath facilities (2 toilets, 1 shower), plus an additional nice shower/bath tub room was available at the end of the hallway. Coffee/tea/filtered water, fruit and baked goods available in the morning and delicious chocolate cupcakes were offered up in the afternoon. The building has a lovely character to it and note, since it IS over 100 years old, there is a reminder posted in the bathroom to turn off the air conditioning before using a hair dryer ;) Also, no elevator so if you can't navigate steps, this would not be for you.

We plan to come back to this event in 2 or 3 years and will probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms range from single rooms with shared hallway bath to having full apartment facilities. Over 30...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katzy6
Michigan
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Week trip up the coast with the family staying and eating at only small, locally owned places. Spent a little more here, but got two rooms adjoining (so mom and dad have their own room). The place was very old and cool - but perfectly maintained. Wanna know what if felt like to stay at in Inn in the 1900's - guessing this is it. Things are tiny, but not quite "eurpean small". One of our rooms had a toilet and shower, and the other a sink and toilet. So with the two rooms we had everything. But there seemed to be shared showers i nthe hall so probably should verify what parts your room comes with. Breakfast was nice, but limited - but was great to be able to take your tea and bagel out to the tables in front of the hotel on a nice sunny morning. If it's in your budget, definately was a fun place to have stayed. And it is smack in the middle of everything so as long as you can find a place to park - it can't be beat for location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sheckyboy
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Hotel Nichols is a quaint bed and breakfast hotel that our family has stayed at on special occasions. The staff is very hospitable, it is very clean and the area is family friendly and not to mention the beach is just around the corner. This B&B is one of my favorite places to stay at when my family visits South Haven. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city visit Hotel Nichols, you are sure to come back again ang again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Veronica S
Indiana
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

I took my 18 month old son for his first trip to the beach last month and we stayed at hotel nichols. Everything was fantastic. The owner kept my son happy with a constant serving of doughnuts and strawberries and treated us like family! Good customer service is soooo hard to come by these days, let alone great customer service! They definitely exceeded my expectations! Will definitely be going back soon!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank betsyIndiana
detroit
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We were able to get one night on a Saturday which is great because all of the B&B's in town required a two night stay on weekends. We stayed in the Green Room with a King bed and hardwood floors. The bathroom is small and in need of updating but I believe the property is for sale so they probably don't want to invest any more money into it. The room and bathroom were very clean and our room was at the end of the hall so there wasn't a lot of foot traffic. You need to bring your own blow dryer and hair conditioner and I couldn't find an outlet in the bathroom to plug in my blow dryer so I used one in the bedroom. It is very pricey in the summer since it is a resort town. The location in downtown South Haven is great and is within walking distance to restaurants, shops and beaches. On a negative note, we stayed on a Saturday night and our room was street level. It was very noisy between 1:00am and 2:30 am when the bar patrons started going home. I would stay here again but keep the window closed and the air conditioning on to drown out the street noise.

Room Tip: Keep windows closed to reduce street noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
#7 of 11 in South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#1 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Hotel Nichols? Share your experiences!