“Avoid at all cost!”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Chicago, Illinois
“Avoid at all cost!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Booked room for 1 night during South Havens Blueberry fest, unfortunately since I waited so long to plan this trip we had no other choice but to book this room despite the terrible reviews already posted on Trip Advisor. I had hoped for better, but we were SEVERLY let down. Over all exterior appearance is very poor, upon checking in I was not told the room I booked was not available, I booked a "King sized suite" it was a get-a-way for my wife and I without the kids, we were given a room with 2 double beds...We decided to look past that and just deal with the cards given to us, upon further inspection of the room we became mortified! Air conditioning in the Bedroom only pumped out warm air, found ants not only crawling on the wall but also in one of the beds. Dirt and filth basically in every nook and cranny of this room, some sort of bodily fluid was smeared allover the lighting fixture in the bedroom, it honestly looked like mucus with dried blood, I kid not! Shower and "built in hot tub" was a JOKE! I wouldn't have bathed my dog in this tub, it looked as if it had not been cleaned in months. I can go on and on about this room, it was so disgusting we decided to insist on a refund and check out. Leaving us at the Blueberry fest on Saturday afternoon with no place to stay. We called it a loss and drove back home to Chicago. Ruining what was a beautiful 1/2 day spent in South Haven. Please PLEASE PLEASE avoid this motel at all cost. On the bright side, we were given a refund with no hassle, I wasn't going to write this review at first since they made it easy for us to get a refund and check out, but I feel it is my duty to warn others, for $130 room (raised rates due to the fest) please just avoid and do yourself a massive favor. I apologize for lack of photos, I snapped a few quick ones before we literally RAN back to our car. The last two photos of the round brownish red globs is what we found in the tub, I literally have no clue what it was.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank R P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here one night after attending a wedding in the area. Every other hotel/motel was booked so we had no other options. It seemed like it was built and furnished in the 80's and that probably goes for when it was last cleaned properly. We found someones old socks in our room and the air conditioning in the bedroom didn't work. I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you have no other options.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Responseless

Travellers are raving about these South Haven hotels

Kalamazoo
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was extremely apprehensive after seeing other reviews posted. Check-in was easy and we noticed dead bugs in the window between the curtain of what appeared to be the hotels living quarters. We inspected the room for bedbugs prior to bringing our items in and did not see any. Room was definitely dated and cleanliness was poor. Lots of activity outside fro what appeared to be people who lives in the motel. Continental breakfast was poor. Front desk did not have toothpaste which we had forgotten. Would not recommend this motel to others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amyjean0202
Greenwood, IN
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Came to south haven with my daughter, friend and 8 year old grand daughter only needed place to sleep a couple of nights and GLI was clean,accommodating and very worth the price. Eight year old Ava is writing this review with my approval.

Room Tip: Choose a suite for a few more$$ still a good deal.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JDBGreenwood_IN
Monroe, Michigan
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was our 1st trip to South Haven and only an overnight trip for my husband, dad, & I. Many of the other accomodations required a 2 night stay because it was Memorial weekend. I was able to book one night here. We had our day planned out in south haven, so we just needed a room to stay the night. We checked in at 2 just to drop off our stuff before going into town. We had a room with 2 queen beds, down at the end , very peaceful and quiet. The room was very decent, new carpet and bathroom flooring. Everything in the room as advertised, fridge, microwave, & coffeemaker. Since there was 3 of us, i went and got our morning coffee from the Coffee Beanery, which was 1/4 mile north on hwy 196. It was in a shopping plaza, and located in a huge market. It looked very nice, bakery, gourmet foods. It is only a mile or so into downtown south haven, very convenient. overall for the price and location, it can't be beat. you can park right at your door, easy in and out. We didn't use the pool, but the indoor pool looked very nice. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Quieter all the way to the end
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Maryliz1118
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I was very apprehensive about checking in after reading other reviews. This is an older independent hotel that is in the midst of an upgrade. New management will be upgrading rooms this spring. This is not a 5 star resort. It does have some wear and age but clean and livable. I was able to stream movies over the hotel WiFi with no problem. Any problems were addressed immediately and the staff was friendly and accommodating. I could not find the bullet holes but, I did find coffee in the lobby.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jbohacheff
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 17 August 2013

First I would like to say to the persons that wrote mediocre reviews about this quaint area and inn have got it all wrong. I couldn't have had a better weekend. At first I was hesitant about staying there based on the reviews that I read, but then I thought this must be like the movies when you read a bad review and then you actually watch the movie and you love it. This is what Great Lakes Inn and Suites was for me. I am thoroughly impressed with this establishment. It was cozy, quaint, and most important clean. The staff was very accomidating and even allowed me a late check out as they were completely understanding that I had a long drive time home. I was able to reconnect with a very loving person in my life and the atmosphere at Great Lakes Inn just made it all the better. I can't wait to return to my small piece of heaven.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Great Lakes Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!