“Cute, romantic getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Martha's Vineyard Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Cute, romantic getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2008

My wife and I spent a weekend in beautiful South Haven in Sept 2008. We stayed in the Dartmouth suite which is a guest house separate from the main house. We paid about $179 per night. This was my first "real" experience with a B&B and it was quite wonderful.

If you are not familiar with South Haven, it is a pretty, quiet town on the western shore of Michigan. Martha's Vineyard is about a 15 minute drive from the main downtown area of South Haven and borders up to a golf course.

When we arrived, the owners were very friendly. They showed us our room, where we can find things like board games, utensils, etc. They explained that since we were in one of the suites, breakfast would be broght to our room. Guests in the main house had breakfast in the common room or on the porch.

Breakfast both mornings were delightful. Each day consisted of eggs, fruit, coffee, juice, and a specialty baked item. I don't remember the specifics of what we ate but it was all very yummy. In the guesthouse, there is a common kitchen that we shared with the other guests and there was a fridge too with basic kitchen items available.

Our suite, the Dartmouth Suite, was quite nice. The bed was nice and comfortable and the bathroom featured a 2 person jacuzzi which was quite relaxing. There was a tv in the corner of ththe room but quite small (13 inch i believe). There is a gas fireplace that is the main source of heating the room. Word of caution, when the temperature dips down past your set temperature control, the fireplace will automatically turn on (in our case in the middle of the night). The fire is quite bright and we had to put on sleep masks. I didn't feel like figuring out if there was an alternative to the fireplace heating up the room. Plus, we liked the fireplace anyway. We could've turned down the thermostat all the way so it wouldn't have turned on during the night but the wife gets cold easily.

There is a door that connects to another suite but is double locked. However, sound can pass somewhat easily. It wasn't a problem though.

In the spacious lawn between the guest house and main house, they have a nice firepit set up at night with 4 chairs. There is only one log on at a time so it doesn't burn very large but it was fun to have wine out there underneath all the stars.

We brought our bikes with us from Chicago and they have safe storage in their shed. The Kai Haven trail is just a few miles from the property.

If you want a nice, romantic getaway, try this friendly, cute B&B.

• Liked — comfy relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — 15 minute drive from downtown south haven
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kennywah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

We stayed two wonderful nights at Martha's Vineyard for our 1st anniversary and we loved all the romantic details of the Inn. OUr bedroom was very private, located in the Guesthouse. It was exactly as described, and we really were taken with the details that Ginger and Lou put on really setting a romantic atmosphere.
The double Jacuzzi is great for relaxing, so good that we didn't want to leave it! We loved the romantic aromatherapy and music. The fireplace gives a luxurious feel to the room and it was great to wake up and sip some coffe while looking at the wonderful surroundings. We enjoyed all the tips provided about South Haven, and we LOVED breakfast in bed! It was a wonderful, romantic and relaxing getaway.

• Liked — Romantic Details
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2008

Our two night stay at Martha's Vineyard was as pampering as we have experienced in years! We stayed in one of the cottages close to the main house. It was very private, even though another occupied room was next to us. I believe our cottage was called the Nantucket. Our own private jacuzzi, gas fireplace, skylight, TV and VCR were awaiting us when we arrived. The decor was inviting- with yellow and red as accent colors. Our bed was very comfortable and when we awoke, a thermos of coffee was available to us in our shared little kitchenette - which featured a small refrigerator, dishwasher, sink, coffee mugs, cream, sugar, snacks, plates, silverware (non of that PLASTIC STUFF!) At 9:00 a.m. sharp, a picnic basket full of fresh fruit, delicious breakfast entree (homemade by Ginger), juice and hot coffee were a wonderful start to our day. To have breakfast in bed, or on the porch right outside, or at our little table in our room - was delightful! Ginger and Lou were attentive to our every need - as was the staff!! Five stars, but only if you want a little piece of heaven!!!

Stayed May 2008
Chicago, Il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2008

My husband and I received a gift certificate from family for a stay at Martha's Vineyard. Because we called the inn and spoke with owner, Ginger, within 24 hrs of our arrival we were given an additional 10%off our 2 night stay. Ginger was very helpful in guiding us to select the best room for our desires from what remained available. We chose the Chatham in the Guest House on the back of the property. Two reasons made us choose the Guest House over the main house. First, the breakfast was delievered to our door each morning at 9 am, so we could sleep late and not dress for breakfast. Second,the Guest House rooms also had tv's, the Main House rooms do not. Also, you should be aware this B & B is about 5 mi out of the town of South Haven even though the address makes it sound like it is right in town.

The room itself was cosy. The whirlpool tub took up quite a bit of room and to be honest, we did not even use it. There were a few picky problems with the room, but possibly of interest to some readers. The queensize bed was comfortable, but the sheets were not spotless. There were crumbs on the bed that were not from us. The patterned comforter hid them well until we sat on the bed. There were a few cobwebs up in the room corners. The chairs in the room were vintage and not comfortable to sit on for an extended time of reading--one of our cherished pasttimes. The gas fireplace was not an easy one to get going but we did it. Do not keep it on all night as it gets the room too hot. We had to turn it off and then the room gets quite chilly , but we loved the duvet to snuggle in and chase the cold away.

But there was much to make us smile. The nightly cookies Ginger provided were delicious, particularly the oatmeal walnut ones. In the kitchenette outside our room there was tea and hot chocolate and popcorn for the mic always available. A small fridge was also there for our use. There was a good selection of movies for the VCR (no DVD!) The breakfasts were very good. The first morning were Ginger's famous apple pancakes, yogurt and granola, grapefruit, and orange juice. The 2nd morning was even better with an egg and sausage stata, warm cinnamon roll,red potatoes and poached pear that was amazing, and orange juice. Check out was a breeze.

We would definitely recommend this B&B to you. Larger rooms are available and if we return we would go for one of those.

• Liked — quiet atmosphere
  • Disliked — the whirlpool tub right next to the bed
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2007

I don't know if I have to words to describe how happy my wife and I were with our stay there. Here are some key points..

1) The place is really nice from the room (especially our room with the hot tub, double shower heads, veranda, fireplace, and lots of little touches) to the grounds. My wife and I fell asleep on the hammock a couple of times. :-)

2) The staff --- amazing! If you want helpful, nice, and pleasant as can be you have found the place. I felt like I was with family, honestly! So helpful in getting my flowers delivered to the room before my wife and I got there --- no questions asked. Handled it all and just needed my details.

3) The food??? Are you kidding me? The 4 course breakfast is just incredible. We read the journal left in our room with comments from previous guests from the past 4 years or so and they all mention how good the food was. Well, if you are out there -- the food is still really good. In two days I had a baked pear with whipped cream, assortment of fruit, caramel apple pancakes (oh man that is good), egg souffl'e (sp?) with sausage, and some new potatoes on the side, huge cinnamon roll (incredible icing!), cream puff with chocolate drizzle, lemon tart, yogurt/cereal parfet (again, sp?). The food was scrumptious and the atmosphere was even better. Needless to say, my wife and I didn't eat much lunch (and trust me, I don't EVER do that ... lol).

My wife and I are usually very adventurous. We hike and bike and both being Chicago people are used to high action and heavy entertainment. We just wanted to get away, relax, and just be. It was all that and more .... and, South Haven is really nice. Sunsets at the lake is a must! The beach is a nice place to take a stroll, and if you get out and about, the wine tasting and apple picking (fresh apples..yum!) is great around there.

All in all, I give this place a 12 out of 10. I would have given them a 13 out of 10 but they didn't ask us to move in for free. I guess that is asking too much?

Excellent weekend and we plan on going back in summer or winter for hanging out at the beach or just sipping hot chocolate on the fire.

Oh, and I forgot ... get the cold cuts, veggie, and warm bread tray ... and the massages. Mostly, get the warm bread..the smell alone will make you happy. :-)

Enjoy all..this place is fantastic!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Easier access to bottled water (and that is being picky)
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tornado65
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2007

Martha's Vineyard is a B&B that aesthetically speaking, is perfect, but lacks many amenities that other B&Bs offer.

To begin, the breakfast, the other half of the concept of a B&B, was long, drawn out, and incredibly skimpy. The point of a getaway is to relax, and not anxiously await each course, only to find each one to be skimpier than the next. I felt as if every course was doll-size portion--that is, fit for my inanimate doll to eat. The crepes looked as though they were whole-wheat, given that they were brown. When I go on vacation or get away, my goal to eat unhealthily, not healthily. While I appreciate the effort in making healthy food appear and taste good, it takes away from the concept of a relaxed, indulgent weekend. It's hard to relax while determining which fork to use to slice my miniscule lemon tart with. I nearly ventured to put the whole thing in my mouth in one bite, but perish the thought of disrupting the rules of etiquette. (This etiquette part wasn't so much a fault of the innkeepers, but rather, the snobbish folks who shared our table.)

Secondly, our room consisted of signs reminding us that we were essentially, staying in someone else's house along with other guests, and that we should keep that in mind. Also, the toilet was so incredibly close to the tub, that only an acrobat or flexible gymnast would have a successful and problem-free experience while using it.

Thirdly, our "private" verandah was actually shared by the room next to ours. After stepping outside early in the morning to enjoy my tea, bedhead, morning breath, and all, I was surprised to see another door next to ours, and thus, I promptly made a hasty retreat back indoors.

Fourthly, the room was incredibly small and lacking in adequate storage. My husband and I had no problem hanging everything in the closet, but with only two hangers to be found, this seemed to be another obstacle.

Lastly, there was no internet access, and no public fridge, microwave, etc., for guests to use. We only had access to coffee and tea at 7:30 in the morning. No bottled water, pop, etc., unless we buzzed them for some. And while we both had the misfortune of suffering head colds, we were thankful that we had brought our own box of tissue; there was none in our room.

All in all, our stay would have been much better if the food was more about size, selection, and indulgence, rather than a stuffy, fluffly, etiquette-driven gourmet experience. Furthermore, a guest area with internet access and a fridge with drinks would have been nice. And of course, a highly "accessible" toilet would have been great.

• Liked — Bed linens, room decor
  • Disliked — Breakfast, bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whitesandfreak
Portage, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2007

We recently had the good fortune to hold our wedding at Martha's Vineyard in South Haven. Not only were innkeepers Ginger and Lou Adamson gracious hosts, but they provided excellent service and took the time to make the day special, not only for us but for our guests as well. Every detail was perfect from the floral-draped arches for the ceremony to the beautifully dressed tables at the reception. The food was absolutely delicious, and the setting was gorgeous.

We cannot imagine a more romantic place to spend our first night as husband and wife than the Fairhaven suite in the Guest House. After watching the sunset over nearby Lake Michigan, we lit a fire in the fireplace and relaxed in the Jacuzzi tub with champagne and soft music. The next morning we enjoyed an amazing breakfast in front of the fire before setting off on our honeymoon.

Our stay at Martha’s Vineyard was exceptional. The award for “Most Romantic Hideaway” is well earned, and reflects the atmosphere that prevails at this bed and breakfast. With the quality of service and hospitality that we received, we can highly recommend Martha’s Vineyard for anything from a quiet get-away to a small intimate wedding.

• Liked — Beautiful and romantic
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple