“Great Location Yummy Breakfast”
Review of Sand Castle Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Sand Castle Inn
Ranked #7 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We stayed in the Royal Suite which is a round room on the 2nd floor with a private bath and balcony. It was a lovely room with a king size bed and fireplace. We could walk to the beach or to the nearby shops and museums. The location was excellent! In the morning we were served a yummy breakfast by our innkeeper on the large porch which looks out over the park and gardens. Our innkeeper was a fine hostess and was busy at her work every moment I saw her. The owners of this bed and breakfast were there but were not friendly. The female owner was rude by interrupting my conversation with the innkeeper because she was in a rush to find a tape measure. I felt insulted by this interruption. The owner did not acknowledge me as a guest and I felt that she was rude to her innkeeper and me as a guest. The owners should either be hospitable or not show their faces during times when the innkeeper is busy with the guests. The carpet in our room had stains and was in need of a heavy duty cleaning or replacement. Other than this, the bedding and furnishings were nice and clean. The bathroom was immaculate. I would definitely stay here again. We ate at a restaurant called Clementines for dinner. There was a very long wait and the food was just average. The fried fish at the bar near the drawbridge looked delicious. We would have been better off eating there. Maybe next time!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 June 2008

My husband and I stayed at The Sand Castle Inn for one night for our first getaway since our daughter was born. We found our room to be clean with a very comfy king size bed. The staff was friendly and the food was simple and delicious. We enjoyed the cookies that were always out and liked that we weren't forced to sit at a communal table for breakfast. However, I did think the place could use some cosmetic work. The neutral colored carpet in our room was stained in several places and there were lots of scuff marks on the walls. That being said, I might consider staying there again, but I might consider staying somewhere else on a return trip to South Haven, too.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2008

My husband and i just returned from a last minute weekend getaway in South West Michigan. We have never been in that area before because we usually go to Door County Wisconsin for a weekend getaway but decided to try Michigan after someonend gave us a good bottle of wine from that area. We stayed one night @ the Sand Castle Inn because they had a last minute special. The Inn was beautiful and clean. Our room The Tower Suite was perfect. It had a fireplace and a nice balcony that we could not enjoy because of the weather. The best part though was breakfast. We liked the egg casserole, fresh fruits with lavender and lemon zest(Patty even gave me the recipe), banana bread, yogurt and many others. They even serve appetizers in the afternoon. The innkeeper - Patty was very friendly, welcoming and helpful. Had dinner at Tello's Italian Rest. The food was good but service marginal. Will not go back to Tello's. But will probably go back @ The Sand Castle Inn when the opportunity arises. One thing i wish they would change though is to remove the fake plants and fake flowers.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alwaystraveling99
Reviewed 24 September 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Sand Castle during our first trip to South Haven. If you plan to spend most of your time exploring the lakeshore and WONDERFUL downtown shops, this is a great place to stay. The common areas at the Sandcastle Inn don't have the character that some other B&Bs have (mainly with respect to preserving the historical character), and while the rooms are very nice, they may not appeal to travellers looking for case studies in historical preservation....BUT, South Haven is way too inviting to spend all your time in your room. One huge redeeming factor of the Inn's charm is the lovely porch...a long, wrap-around porch where guests can enjoy their [very yummy] breakfasts and have a bit of privacy (not many options for community seating/dining, which may be a negative for some but I found the privacy refreshing at that point in our trip). The location can't be beat...steps from the lake and a short walk (3 blocks or so) to the downtown (which is so delightful...visit Blue-Eyed Girl for a bit of shopping; have dinner at Clementines, and enjoy an intoxicating Lake Michigan sunset)

When we booked our stay, the Sancastle was running a special...$100 for any room. I thought this was a good deal, and would definitely book another room at the Sandcastle if I found this special offer again.

Enjoy South Haven! You won't regret this trip...

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jungleluv
Reviewed 9 August 2007

My family and I decided to stay the Sand Castle Inn, because we really liked that we could rent a condo, but have a lot of the ammentities that the Sand Castle Inn offers to its visitors - quieter atmosphere, beautiful grounds, perfect swimming pool, a block from a terrific beach, and close to town.

The Sand Castle Inn more than exceeded all of our expectations and we can't wait to come back next summer! Although we stayed at one of the condos, the staff at the Inn was extremely pleasant and helpful when we needed anything. The pool was absolutely perfect and we swam everyday that we were there. Walking to the beach was a highlight for our children. We really liked that we were just one block from a beautiful, relatively quiet beach. We swam everyday and then went back each evening to watch the sunset. Additionally, the condo that we rented was absolutely amazing - beautifully decorated, lots of space, and very relaxing!

Overall, I would recommend the Sand Castle Inn to anyone travelling to South Haven, Michigan or anywhere on the western coast of Michigan and are looking for the perfect vacation!

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 17 July 2007

My husband and I visited The Sand Castle Inn for our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We have spent a lot of time in Michigan but never in South Haven. The Sand Castle Inn was a great find. The location is wonderful! It's one block from the Lake Michigan beach and also walking distance to all the in-town shopping and restaurants.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. Upon arrival we received a personal tour of the entire inn. And a personal tour to our room. We chose the "Pool Room" . We thought it would be directly off the pool but it was through a gate, into a doorway, through a small hall and into our room but it was still very close. The "Pool Room" was located in the condo building portion of the Inn not in the main guest house,which we knew before arriving. But there was a beautiful little path going to the main Inn that was very nicely landscaped and inviting.

The breakfasts each morning were delicious! We were pleasantly surprised by the hot breakfast served each morning. We were expecting danishes, fruit and cereal so the wonderful breakfasts, including a different egg casserole each morning, several gourmet pastries, yogurt, different type of fruit salad each day, bagels, muffins, juice, coffee, etc. was a great treat! The Inn was beautifully appointed and very inviting. The decorating was very charming!

After breakfast each morning we enjoyed quite a bit of time on the expansive front porch which was very comfortable and tranquil.

The pool is very nice! This was one of the reasons why we chose The Sand Castle Inn. It was the only B & B we found in the area with a pool. We spent a lot of time there and it was very relaxing, clean, well landscaped, etc. We only wished there had been a hot tup in the evening. They have a perfect spot for one under the trellis in the pool area. But that was the only thing that was missing.

We highly recommend The Sand Castle Inn for a get away weekend! It was a very pleasurable and memorable stay!

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank sarasings126
Reviewed 1 June 2007

On Thursday, May 24, 2007 my sister and I walked into the Inn to inquire about a room for the night. The receptionist was talking to someone on the phone about some internet problems she was having. She didn't acknowledge us in any way, so we walked on into the sitting room area to look around. The housekeeper who happened to be in the room was very nice and offered us a glass of lemonade. However, the receptionist continued her phone conversation and finally said loudly, "just a minute, someone's standing here," then turned to us. She made it very clear that we were "bothering her." I asked about a room with two beds, as their website stated that they could convert a king bed into two twin beds. She replied in an unpleasant manner that it would take at least 30 minutes to do so and the housekeeper was already finished for the day. So I told her never mind and we went on our way, as this indicated to me that a stay here would be equally as unpleasant. I work in a luxury resort and no matter how busy or frustrating our day is, the guests always come first.

Stayed: May 2007
Seymour House
Seymour House
#3 of 16 in South Haven
Kingsley House Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Sand Castle Inn? Share your experiences!