“Classic, personalized B&B experience”

Yelton Manor Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2010

I came in from Chicago to avoid distractions and get some professional writing and thinking done. I stayed in the main house, which was nonetheless extremely peaceful. My room was charming, silent, and the the wireless internet signal strong. If I wanted different surroundings, there were a ton of pleasant spots in and outside, and the most remarkably well-curated set of books on a host of topics one could wish for. The beach is a short stroll away. The innkeepers, Robert and Elaine, even reserved (without my asking) a separate table during breakfast so that I could eat undisturbed if I wished.

I am not a softie in these reviews, but I cannot think of any way to improve on my experience. I not only got a ton of work done, but left South Haven refreshed and ready to do some more. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank 516to312

Reviewed 7 July 2010

We stayed for three nights over the 4th of July weekend. While our overall experience was positive there are a few things that bear mentioning:

If you are not comfortable with the owners in your business, I recommend their sister property which has more privacy.

Breakfast is included with a choice of two hot entrees, breakfast bread and fruit. Very healthy (appreciated by me) but not as filling as my husband would like. By the end of the weekend he was looking for some pork products.

They do not have irons. I know this is petty, but worth mentioning. If I had known, I would have left my clothes on hangers rather than putting them in a suitcase. We purchased one from Walgreens in town.

While they are right across the street from a public beach, the beach is very narrow, crowded and bordered by private beaches.

The room was beautiful and very clean.

They have an extensive selection of books and magazines all over the house as well as an impressive DVD lending library.

Would I recommend? Yes. But bear in mind it is a bed and breakfast in the strictest definition of the word.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YChris
loveandhardwork, Owner at Yelton Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2010

Thank you for your kind words about our beautiful inn.
I am sorry, but insurance regulations do not permit us to provide irons. We are happy to iron guest's clothes for an extraordinary event, but the resort is casual dress everywhere.
Our Lake Michigan beach is 15 miles long, with at least a dozen public parks and access; you might have walked just 1/2 block to the huge Packard Park, a fabulous beach with trees, shade, restrooms and plentiful, uncrowded sandy space.
Thanks you also for complimenting our breakfasts, which consist of fresh, whole, healthy foods.
We caution guests on our website that we do not serve meat at breakfast, and only rarely at hor d'oeuvres, I am sorry that this disappointed your husband.
Thanks again for recommending Yelton Manor.

Reviewed 6 July 2010

I have never seen a more beautiful or huge garden. The inn is fantastic, a Victorian mansion full of amusements (BOOKS!!!), great food, charming and helpful hosts. The sandy beach of Lake Michigan is steps out the front door. 100% recommended over any B&B we have ever been to, anywhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2010

My wife and I travel a lot and we really hit a home run staying at the Yelton Manor. The location was perfect and the B&B is tops. Our hosts were wonderful with a special balance of great conversation, attention to detail, flavorful and healthy breakfasts and respect for privacy. They simply made everything easy and our stay was great. We will be back! This is THE place to stay in South Haven.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

My husband and I spent three stress free nights at Yelton Manor. The location is excellent, nestled in the quaint town of South Haven adjacent to the perfect Lake Michigan beaches. Elaine and Robert and their staff are attentive, humorous and just plain friendly. The Manor is a destination unto itself, full of a myriad of books and artifacts to explore. Breakfast was plentiful and great snacks were available all day. (The popcorn is an added plus.) We can't wait to return in the fall for the hospitality and autumn foliage!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Yelton Manor is very special. My greeting was warm and welcoming. The Inn is quiet with lovely music playing in the background. The furnishings are tasteful and comfortable. My room was spotless with fabulously plush towels and everything I wanted and needed! The selection of books and magazines was a joy. I was assisted with picking out two fun and funny movies, but didn't have time to watch them!!! The gardens are beautiful and smell wonderful! Breakfast was delicious and filling. Being close to the beach is grand and the sunset was gorgeous. Being able to walk everywhere and just park the car is a plus. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank danahawaii
Reviewed 28 June 2010

My wife and I stayed here with her sister and husband for the weekend. Right from the start, we knew were in good hands. Robert and Elaine have the Yelton so dialed in, it seems effortless for them to run the inn. Always available for a chat, yet always giving you space as well. The inn has many nooks where one can disappear, and a great screened in porch that was our favorite spot. We'd have our long breakfast there, and end up there for some wine after dinner, chatting and not worrying if we were bothering anyone because of the layout of the place. Also, the Yelton is very devoid of lots of nick nacks that too often rule the decor of a B&B. AND, they have the largest book collection I've ever seen!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple