“quiet and comfortable”

Courtyard Detroit Southfield
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed here for two nights from 8/20 to 8/22/14 for a business meeting. I wasn't familiar with the area at all and found that it really isn't possible to walk to anywhere from this hotel. There are several highways surrounding the hotel that make it impossible to explore on foot. There is a Marriot next door that we did not venture to. We took a taxi from the airport at the cost of $60 but the website did state this so it was not a surprise. That being said, we took cabs that the front desk arranged to dinner and that was fine. The Bistro in the lobby has coffee,breakfast and rather costly drinks but it meets a need (the oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts was GOOD!). The guest room was clean and surprisingly quiet. The bed was so comfortable! I had a balcony that overlooked the courtyard. The courtyard was very relaxing with a fire pit and comfy chairs. We did not use the pool. There is quite a distance to cover when getting to your room from the lobby and the place is bigger than it appears but this was not a problem. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
PublicRelationsKari, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Dear Winnie K,

I want you thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your experience at the Courtyard Detroit Southfield. I was pleased to read your great comments about the oatmeal at the Bistro and the level of comfort you found in our brand new beds! We agree that the addition of the Bistro has given our guests delicious breakfast options, oatmeal being a big hit! We also feel that with our renovations and replacing all of our beds that we have the best beds to offer in the market.

Again, thank you for your feedback and it will be our pleasure to be of service in the future!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Several family members traveled to the Detroit area to attend a family reunion, which was held August 1-3, 2014. We stayed at the Courtyard based on reading the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. The hotel, which is located near several area freeways, and there are numerous shopping malls nearby.

Upon checking in we were greeted by friendly front desk personnel. The hotel staff was friendly and professional. The hotel was clean and showed signs that it had been recently renovated. The room was clean, neat and comfortable.

All in all, we had a pleasant weekend stay at the hotel. We will definitely stay here again when visiting in the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
PublicRelationsKari, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Tuebor30215,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at the Courtyard Detroit Southfield! I am thrilled that you were able to have a pleasant weekend in Southfield We definitely enjoy accommodating groups such as family reunions and providing a comfortable and clean place to be your home away from home. I specifically thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff members. We certainly pride ourselves on delivering exceptional guest service. I have passed along your kind words to our staff. On behalf of your Courtyard staff, we look forward to being of service again in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I traveled to Southfield Michigan for a wedding the first weekend in August. My stay at the Southfield Courtyard from Aug. 1 to Aug. 4 was a pleasant suprise. the hotel is easily accessible from I-696 and is located in a buisness area next to the Marriott.

The front desk staff as well as the cleaning staff were courteous, friendly and helpful. We were assigned a room on the first floor that faced the courtyard. The room was spotless and smelled clean and fresh. I appreciated the large pullout desk that was comfortable for placing a laptop. The room was spacious and there was a mini refrigerator present. The television was a large flat screen with the usual cable tv stations. There was not a microwave in the room, but one was conveniently located in the lobby for use by hotel guests.

The bed was comfortable, although slightly tilted toward the headboard. There were lamps and nightstands conveniently located on both sides of the bed.

I like the fact that the toilet and shower were separate from the vanity area. The only drawback for me was a lack of a bathroom ventilation system.

There was a family reunion group on our floor. They utilized the courtyard and were very loud at times, even until late hours of the night. We contacted the front desk and they promptly informed the group that they were disturbing other hotel guests. Thankfully, they quieted down immediately. I appreciated the quick action taken by hotel security.

The price I paid to stay at this hotel was worth every penny. This was by far the nicest, and cleanest Courtyard by Marriott that I've stayed in the past few years. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonable priced hotel with comfortable rooms in the Southfield, Michigan area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann7714

Ann7714,

Thank you for your time in reviewing the Courtyard Detroit Southfield regarding your most recent stay in the area for a wedding. Our property is in a fantastic location right near I-696, the Detroit Metro Airport, downtown Detroit and more. Our sales team works very hard to work with social groups, such as weddings or family reunions, to ensure you have a great place to stay while you are in the area. We agree that we have outstanding staff members, fresh rooms and a great value. We look forward to being of service again in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The hotel is newly renovated but I think they forgot to renovate their customer service and housekeeping! When checked in and immediately left the hotel to see the city and when we returned for the evening, my daughter was getting into the bed and lifted her pillow to find dead bugs underneath! How was that missed or even possible!?? The front desk staff changed our room, but was far from apologetic! As if that was not bad enough, the staff in the Bistro was very unprofessional! Our food was mixed up with another guest's and taken to their table (and vice versa) and instead of remaking our meals, the chef simply took all of the plates back into the kitchen and seemingly counted to ten and brought them back out to both our table and the other! Disgusting! The staff was simply unpleasant! We've never stayed at Courtyard before, only Marriott and Renaissance, but you can be sure that this was our first and LAST time at Courtyard and definitely this location!!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ReGinae R
PublicRelationsKari, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear ReGinae R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact a manager directly at the phone number listed below. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The rooms are newly remodeled and very clean. The staff is outstanding. Everyone is very friendly and goes out of their way to provide the best service and experience. Also, there are many extra touches that made the stay even more enjoyable like a beautiful courtyard with a blazing fire pit on a cool evening and more.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have patios with furniture. Request a room off the indoor courtyard which is...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Vicki G,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on the Courtyard Detroit Southfield! We truly appreciate your kind words and I was pleased to read great comments, specifically those regarding our staff members and the cleanliness of our property. We work hard every day to ensure that we are providing guests with a clean and comfortable home away from home. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future on your next trips to the Detroit area!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The staff at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Southfield is so amazing Kari,Nichelle, Meagan,Whitney,Natasha,Ari,Tay,Alisa,Nicole, Nie, Kevin are the BEST group of people.I stay at this hotel 4nights weekly for work and they make me feel so special not just when i checkin but during my whole stay they are very very awesome people. They all make sure that I am well taken care of and always with a BIG smile and BIG heart. The hotel is always super clean at all time and most of all everyone CARES about each guest that comes into their doors. The owners should be very happy and proud to have this great staff they really give this hotel and brand for Marriott a great name. I just love everything about this hotel but again the STAFF is AMAZING AND NEED TO BE REWARDED.I love they make me feel super each and every week its hard enough traveling away from your home but I feel very comfortable each week at the hotel.Thanks for the great job you all do.

Room Tip: each room is very nice and the lobby area is super cool food is good also in the Bistro any room you...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
PublicRelationsKari, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Detroit Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Cherlone,

Thank you so much for your review on your many previous stays at the Courtyard Detroit Southfield! We are so pleased that you choose to stay with us every week and it certainly is our pleasure to provide you with the best service that we can every time you, or any guest, walks into our front doors. Your words have been passed onto every staff member that you kindly mentioned, as well as to the rest of the staff as a whole. We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of service with a smile in all of Southfield, and it is very rewarding to reach such positive feedback. We look forward to being of service to you more in the future!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

All 4 of us in our party had nothing bad to say. The hotel staff was SO friendly, courteous, and helpful. We also really loved the bar/bistro downstairs in the lobby. They even had little booths with their own individual TVs right there at the table. They had a really good menu selection and the food was awesome. The prices weren't that bad either. Really loved that there was a Starbucks available also.

After the bistro had closed late at night, we were hungry and wanted food, and one of us said hey, they have a pizza place listed right on the back of the room key card! So we called the Cottage Inn and had pizza delivered, which showed up in about a half hour, and was delicious!

The rooms were VERY neat and clean, and very stylish as well. We really liked that the bathroom sink was separate from the toilet/shower area. This enabled more than one of us to be getting ready to go out for the night at a time. We took a cab to downtown Detroit for the night.

There was a convention AND a separate wedding party booked there the entire weekend we were there, but it didn't interfere with our stay at all! Any time we asked for something, we got it and got it pretty quick. All of us said that we would definitely stay here again. We only had chosen this hotel because all of the ones in Downtown Detroit were already booked, but we were VERY happy that we ended up staying here.

This is definitely one of the nicer hotels I've ever stayed in: as in quality of service, cleanliness, and stylishness/environment as a whole (I've stayed at many of the more expensive hotels in Downtown Detroit, but this was much nicer and the price was extremely cheap for the quality we received).

Room Tip: We happened to get a room on the 3rd floor, which worked out perfect because we got a room with a ba...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear lethallisa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such positive feedback on your recent stay here at the Courtyard Detroit Southfield! I am so thrilled to read that we were able to provide you with one of the "most enjoyable hotel stays" that you have ever had! We are always striving to be the best hotel that we can be and it is very rewarding to read your positive comments regarding our staff service and the cleanliness of the hotel as a whole. I have passed your kind words to our entire staff and we all look forward to providing you and your guests with excellent service again in the future!