“Don't Stop...RUN From This ESA”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Southfield - Northwestern Hwy.
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed 29 March 2013

***This review was supposed to be posted in the beginning of March. I didn't realize I had to click a link to confirm this review.***

My company sent me from Puerto Rico to Michigan for an assignment that lasted two months. During those two months, I’ve never seen a hotel ran as poorly as this one. Dirty sheets, awful smells in the hallway, teenage parties and fights every weekend, among other things. I never received my mail on time and when I did, it was open or it looked tampered with. Out of the entire staff at the Extended Stay America-Southfield, there was only two that I felt comfortable with. Halima (not sure if I spelled it right) and Camille are the only employees who strive for perfection. If something was wrong, they worked to fix it. If I needed something, they ensured I received it either right then or within twenty minutes (i.e. towels, tissue, etc.). The cleaning staff---don’t even get me started. They must be cleaning with dirty water and rags because the rooms straight SMELL when they’re finished. Maintenance never fixed a thing I asked. I always had a hard time out of Consuela (mail among other things) and a very nasty attitude whenever the managing staff is not around. I was standing in the lobby when I heard Consuela inform another guest to retrieve the mail from the mailbox. This angered me because if another guest can do her job by stepping out and retrieving the mail, then the guest has a chance to possibly go through the mail. I also watched housekeepers and other residents wash their clothes in the SAME machine that the SHEETS have to be washed in. WTH?!?!?!?!?!? I’ve informed my company to take all of the Extended Stay America’s off of our company hotel list. This hotel is poorly ran and if you ask me, it’s a disgrace to it’s name.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank TrippD23
RDO_Sarah_L, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Southfield - Northwestern Hwy., responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The room condition you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy. There are many points that you brought up – ranging from cleanliness to service to disturbances. These points all show some break down in the way in which we do things. I am truly sorry that you encountered all of these. We are working on a daily basis with our team to improve the quality of service that we provide. We have made strides since your stay with us and we hope to continue to move forward each day.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Detroit - Southfield - Northwestern Hwy.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

It was a great stay at this hotel. People are very friendly here and ready to help you at anytime. Especially, Halima at the reception was very helpful. It is very cheap and worth the money that I paid for the stay. Overall, it was a great experience staying at this hotel. This is the second time i am staying at this hotel. I am sure I will come back again.

• Stayed: March 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Southfield - Northwestern Hwy., responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Extended Stay America Southfield Northwestern Highway. It makes me so happy to see such kind words about our hotel. Our staff works hard each day to provide our guests with a pleasant and cheerful stay - and I am so glad you were able to see the great service first hand! I will definitely let our team – and especially Halima know that you were so pleased.

I am glad to hear you are a loyal customer, and I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Southfield! Thank you again for posting your review.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Me and my family stay here was a complete nightmare!! the rooms was infested with baby ants. We were moved twice and the rooms did not get any better each room still had baby ants in the bathroom and kitchen. I was so digusted and upset i really wanted to pack our things and leave but it was so late in the night my children was sleepy and upset about moving from room to room we decided to stick it out but never will i take my family back here EVER!! what a waste of 80$

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Shanice T
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Southfield - Northwestern Hwy., responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Let's start with I am a professional and credible member of mainstream media on an executive business trip. I have been using Extended Stay America for years in a variety of environments from California to Detroit. I am here on business for 3 weeks and because of my great experiences with this hotel chain in the past was happy that my company booked here. What I thought would be a pleasant stay here is turning out to be a nightmare. From the mean old lady at the front desk who likes to talk at the top of her lungs loud enough with guests and maintenance people at 1 in the morning to the rude housekeeping / maintenance staff congregating in the halls, yelling and going about all hours of the day and night like they live here instead of working here; I feel more like I checked into the local projects than an executive suite. The only thing that stops me from reaming this terrible experience through a mountain of bad mainstream reviews is the fact that a very professional lady named Conswella did everything within her power to make things right; including moving me from the 1st floor to that was supposed to be somewhere a little more quiet if it wasn't for the maids and crack head looking janitor who stands around in the hall way being loud and pestering the maids on company time. If my staff wasted company $$$ like this; I would be hiring new staff.. and for God sake make Conswella a manager; I bet she would be much better at hiring PROFESSIONAL behaving staff; as she sets a great example. I wont even get into how dirty the first room I was put in was with dead bugs under the sink and PUBIC HAIRS on my fresh towels!! No hangers in the closet, no fork or cup in the kitchen. OMG! Get housekeeping some glasses so they can see!! I almost dried my face on that towel; thankfully my vision is GREAT. My company spent a couple thousand dollars to fly me out here for work; I will be sure to let them know to NEVER spend it with this location ever again. This by far is the worst experience I have ever had with this chain; I would give just about anything for a good night's sleep. God bless you Conswella... you are the only thing I enjoyed about this hotel; thank you for trying to make a bad hotel better.l

Room Tip: Make sure you check the rooms for bugs, clean dishes, hangers and clean towels before unpacking! You...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank GIGICAPONEPR
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Southfield - Northwestern Hwy., responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I was truly disappointed to read your remarks concerning my staff. Please accept my apology. In response to your feedback, I have arranged training with each of the members of our team to discuss these issues. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me at stf@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments

Reviewed 8 February 2013

The front disk lady (Conswella) is the best ever. She helps you so much understand your rate. She helps you with everything you need. She is super nice and she is always smiling. The house keeping service is wonderful as well. The location is just great close to everything in Southfield. No strange smell or anything like that. Very clean and friendly people

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way," and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

I am a 4th stage cancer victim. I had a horrible experience at another hotel. On my arrival here I met two angels. The manager Brenda and clerk Halima. They welcomed me with such hospitality. It was overwhelming the links they went to, to make sure I was comfortable. If that wasn't enough the overnight staff Ms. Camille helped me through two episodes of real sickness.They were so nice, when we have our convention in June for our organization we will be using this hotel. I live in Florida but I received some southern hospitality in Detroit. I will never forget your acts of kindness doing my time of sickness. Thank you for all you do!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Southfield - Northwestern Hwy., responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Thank you so very much for your nice review of our property. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority. Your comments about both Brenda and Halima are so kind. It warms my heart that they took such good care of you at a time that you needed it.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

This place is HORRIBLE! The first room I checked into had dirty pillows, hair all over the blow dryer, dirty towels, and the shower was dirty. After seeing the first room I switched rooms. Then the second room had no towels in it, dead bugs in the closet as well as corner in the bathroom. There were also no hangers in the closet. Oh yea the first room also didn't have a garbage can. It's like housekeeping doesn't exist. Then I also didn't have a remote to my television in my second room. I called the front desk for a remote and the lady at the desk refuses to bring the remote to my room. This is after I had to walk to the desk to get towels. Then when I call back and ask can she brings the remote she hangs up the phone with an attitude. When I try to call back the line is busy. Worst customer service experience at a hotel EVER! To make matters worst the ro wasn't acceptable. Don't stay here there are plenty of other hotels in the same area so stay at One if those. This service was cometly horrible and the rooms aren't clean.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Millengr
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Southfield - Northwestern Hwy., responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2012

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any further questions or concerns. Again I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels locations across the country.