Extended Stay America - Detroit - Southfield - Northwestern Hwy.
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Alpena Michigan
“Go do not stop”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is by far one of the worse hotels I have had the misfortune of ever staying at. The reservation was made by my employer. I quickly emailed the travel coordinator and asked to have the hotel put on the do not stay list. The first room I was given had bloody stains on the mattress. when I called the desk I was told I would be given a free upgrade. When I entered the "free upgrade room" There was a diaper bag on the counter, no bath towels or wash cloths, I was afraid to sit on the sofa dirty and worn is a kind an generous statement. The carpet is disgusting and there is no phone in the room. I had to go back to the desk to report the towel issue. The first clerk told me they do not keep towels in the rooms guest have to come down to ask for towels. Clean is not a word I would use to describe the facility. The person whom I assume is the manager is very polite and responds to each compliant as best as she can given the terrible condition of the property. Not sure how I will endure 3 days here. What I know is I will under no circumstances ever stay here again. It seems as if this place has become the over flow for the homeless shelters in Detroit. I would give less than one star if that were possible.

Room Tip: Seek a different hotel don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank alpenasandi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Fairfield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Check in took a while because there were other customers waiting to be served. Bianca handled the multiple check-ins well and as expeditiously as possible, in spite of technical difficulties with the company's computer system. I requested a room on the top floor in a quiet section of the hotel. This request was definitely accommodated. However, initially, we were provided a room in which previous customers had smoked (even though all rooms on the property are designated as non-smoking rooms). The cigarette smell in the room was intolerable, thus I made a request for another room. However, upon entering that room, it was dirty and had not been cleaned from the previous guest stay. There were dirty dishes in the sink, garbage strewn around the room, no bedding....etc., etc. So once again, I requested another room from Bianca. She accommodated us well by providing us with another room, which was actually a bit larger than our original reservation. The only problem that remained was that there were no utensils, pots and pans, or any of the other kitchen items that should be provided in this sort of rooms. However, all of these essential items were provided upon our notification to Bianca and our room was fit for our needs. We were in town for a funeral of a family member, so my need for a comfortable, secure, and affordable priced hotel was of utmost importance. Once the room accommodation and adjustments were in place, we found the room to be comfortable and well-suited for our needs and within our budget constraints. We were very pleased that during our entire stay the area where our room was located was quiet, the staff members were all very professional and extremely accommodating! The grab and go breakfast options were adequate and well-stocked. Hotel could use some updating as furniture in rooms was very old and tattered, however comfort of bed was EXCELLENT! My only suggestion would be to have more housekeeping staff to maintain garbage in hotel corridors and to clean the rooms daily because when guests stay for extended visits, if their rooms are left professionally uncleaned for the duration of their stay, it will be hard to clean the room up to a level of comfort for future guests. OVERALL we were pleased with our accommodations and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a top floor room and ask for a quiet area of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank FairfieldSpikesFam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The service is excellent I was very greatful for Extended Stay Southfield representative name Halima great job took care of a problem I had very quickly and I was very satisfied and service well appreciated again I would recommend this hotel and visit it again

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Southfield, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

My wife and I come to Southfield, Michigan every year, and we always stay for 4-8 weeks at Extended Stay on Northwestern Highway. The rooms are well equipped, the staff from the front desk to the maintenance man always treat us like family, and the value for the price is unbeatable. We also very much appreciate the free wi-fi.

Room Tip: We always take the large suite with a king bed. It's very roomy and comfortable for 2.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

There were dogs barking, I could hear every door closing and lots of conversation I didn't want to hear.The room was clean, howeve, the bathroom towels had old stained.the stove didn't work (other location of this chain actually had utensils this one didnt).I stayed at this hotel chain before and service was excellent. Actually there is another within 5mile. My sister made an error with the location and I ended up at this one. I figured there standard would be the same and they are not far apart so I didn't bother to change. Well I suffered for that decision and will definitely not allowed it to happen again.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank latty-hart
MinisterCoreyM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I had a wonderful front desk clerk named Ingrid who was very nice!! Inspite of a fire happening in the hotel TWO night, I'd still come back and stay here!! Everything was cool! I got a FREE night! :-)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Front Desk Clerk Halima Was Very Polite And Professional. The Rooms
Were Very Clean, Access To The Highway Was Easy To Get To My Destinations. I Do Plan On Staying There Again On My Next Visit. Hope To Get The Same Quality Of Service. As A Former Employee Of The Extended Stay In Vegas I Was Very Happy That I Got The Same Treatment I Gave When I Worked The Front Desk. Keep Up The Good Work Halima And Other Staff Members.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Southfield - Northwestern Hwy., responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Nell - Thank you for your great review of our hotel. I'm glad that our staff accommodated you with friendly and professional service. As well, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your clean room and our hotel's location.