“You have to eat here if in town!”
Review of Beans & Cornbread

Beans & Cornbread
Ranked #1 of 203 Restaurants in Southfield
Price range: US$0 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Barbecue, Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

This place was amazing. Delicious soul food like your grandma would make on Sunday. Small but very warm atmosphere. Staff is the best. Very polite and helpful. We were here on a business trip and waitress was very good to us as all the staff was. I would come here again without hesitation if in town again. It was great to not have to have the normal "fast food" while traveling. I had meatloaf with gravy, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, and black eye peas. They brought out cornbread and some muffins to the table for us all. The muffins were sweet potato muffins and were so good! You will not be disappointed if you eat here. So glad we found this place.

1  Thank Tosha B
There are newer reviews for Beans & Cornbread

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I love Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles (the one on W. Pico) so when I found Beans & Cornbread I was thrilled! We just moved to Detroit from SoCal and were in the mood for fried chicken but little did we know B & C was going to make us so happy! Their chicken was juicy and spiced just right and their waffles are beyond yummy. Their sides and cornbread are superb as well! Thanks for a great meal and great service too; we look forward to our next visit!!!

D & S Lloyd

1  Thank SA L
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The restaurant was small but it accommodated my large family quickly (about 15 of us). The muffins were to die for they were so good! Everyone's meal was great. The catfish was fried to perfection and the portions were large. The hostess was very warm and friendly. The desserts were so large that we got 3 and split it among the family and still had leftovers.I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is in the area and can guarantee they will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Deirdre E
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had a large party eat here on a Friday night. Sonya was our server. She was awesome! Our food came out fast and she was as sweet as the kool-aid! :p I had their perch, greens, sweet potatoes and mac and cheese. All of it was fantastic! My wife had the catfish and loved it! It was fresh and well prepared. The greens were perfect!...I mean...perfect. Just like my mothers.

The chicken wings were large and perfectly fried and seasoned. I can't say enough good things about our experience here. If I am ever back in Detroit, I am going here again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have been to this restaurant several times and have never been disappointed by the food. It's like eating dinner at Grandma's. The fried chicken, mac & cheese, gumbo, greens, sweet potato muffins, shrimp, it's all delicious. This time I had shrimp & grits with andouille. It was so good! I'm not a spicy person, but this had just enough creole taste to satisfy your taste buds. Usually I have no complaints about the service. They're friendly and helpful. This time I was disappointed by a number of the staff. The menus were not taken by the server after our orders had been taken and that was a little annoying because the menu is rather large and there's not enough room on the table with four people. When I tried several times to get our server's attention to order a drink, I was ignored. I finally had to waved down a young lady who said she couldn't do that after she looked confused for several seconds. She then said she would find out what to do. What? Please don't tell me you don't know or can't do it, just say o.k., take the order and give it to the right person. I had to find another person 5 minutes later and give my order. After 10 minutes, I still hadn't received my drink, so I asked the server if I could see the manager. The drink finally arrived, but I sent it back because I was now out of the mood. When the manager finally came to the table, I asked to speak to her outside because the place was crowded and I didn't want to disturbed others around me or at my table. I explained to the manager my concerns and she was apologetic and asked what she could do as she opened the door for several customers. I felt at that point that I was not getting her attention 100%. I was calm and never raised my voice, but just stating the facts. She offer to buy the drink for me, but I told her that I no longer wanted the drink. She then offered to buy dessert for the table. I told her that wasn't necessary because I just wanted better service in the future. Once inside she did come to the table to get our orders for the desserts. I find that as I get older (AARP member), I am less tolerant of below average service and more willing to speak to the manager or owner. I will continue to dine at Beans & Cornbread, but I will let them know verbally how my experience was each time.