“Good Pizza”

Shield's Restaurant Bar Pizza
Ranked #16 of 211 Restaurants in Southfield
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Shields has loaded pizzas cooked to perfection. The cheese bread is essentially a cheese pizza cut into smaller portions. We went as a large family group and everyone enjoyed the experience. Service was fast and courteous.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Good but not great pizza. Somewhat inconsistent where sometimes it is undercooked. I prefer the "other" Detroit style pizza establishment but I frequent this place on occasion.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I was in town for business and we ended up doing lunch here. I was told their pizza is more of a deep dish style, which made me doubt right away if it was any good, I've had bad deep dish before. We ordered the Athenian and oh my word, I will have dreams about this pizza now!!!! It was more of a pan Sicilian style pizza that had a chock full of tomatoes, spinach, feta and mushrooms. One of the best hands down, I am eager to return!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

After dining at Buddy's the previous evening and not being here since the 70's, I was a bit surprised that Shield's had not kept up its appearance or its quality over the years. The deep dish pizza was just OK. While the salad was decent, a steak sandwich I ordered was without lettuce and tomato (that will be 50 cents extra) and the cole slaw substitute for fries was less than exciting. The chicken wings were only average compared to the many different places that I sample them around the country. The setting seemed to be a bit dark and dingy, although not as dingy as Rush's infamous Senator Harry Reid. As I looked around the place after a late stay to watch college football, all I could think of was that Shield's needed an extreme makeover to keep up with the well-lit and vibrant Buddy's, the stronger competitor for deep-dish pizza king of the Detroit area. There were many fewer patrons here on a Saturday evening than the Buddy's I have frequented in Dearborn and Warren over the past several years. The message -- I hope they change!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have been to shields twice now for lunch. Ordered pizza both times and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the food. The pizza is simply great. No issues w/ service and they have a reasonable beer selection with several Michigan brews (Dragonmead Final Absolution is what I ordered). No complaints.