“Great hotel, great service, many amenities!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Westin Southfield Detroit
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
Nashville, TN
“Great hotel, great service, many amenities!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

In town from Nashville for a funeral of an elder member of my family. We have stayed at this hotel a few 'times before and it has been consistently excellent. The location is in a business district of Southfield so it is quiet and has a mostly business clientele. Rooms are fairly sized in comparison to other 4 star hotels in the area and have the Westin touch. Very comfortable sleeping and NO BEDBUGS!! (I'm paranoid about that with hotels.) Weight room is well equipped. Pool is clean and heated. Jacuzzi was a welcomed sight for my arthritic knee. The front desk staff was outstanding and helped me with a few requests and went beyond the expectation of good customer service. Especially helpful were Marvetta Lewis and Sheresse at the front desk. There was at least one wedding in the hotel during our stay which caused a few backups but these two individuals handled the rush with professisonalism, multi-tasking and speed. Hotel restaurant is quiet with good food an awsome breakfast buffett and an omelette chef. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Metropolitan Detroit area. Hope this helps you in your selection process. I hope you enjoy YOUR stay. ~ Barfield

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sowgoodseeds
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 4 June 2011
We would like to offer our sincere condolences on the loss of your family member. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with our hotel. We are so proud that the Westin Southfield Hotel and its staff were able to make your stay a little less stressful. Your kind words about our staff are deeply appreciated and will be shared with our management team. Thanks you again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

This is a good, solid business hotel. As Westins go, it's not bad - but it's not spectacular, either. Basically, it's the Westin that you can take home to mother. Nothing spectacular, but solid. The service is good, the facilities are clean, and everything is very normal and average. Compared to the Westin-branded hotels you'll find in bigger cities, or across Asia, it's a bit on the dowdy side. But overall, not bad.

However, I feel obligated to point out one thing that was VERY bad: the in-room wifi. Like an increasing number of Starwood properties, this hotel has outsourced its wifi services to a secondary provider. That means that if you, as a guest, have problems with the wifi, you can't talk to someone at the hotel because nobody at the hotel is responsible for the internet connections, much less aware of how to fix them. That wouldn't be so bad if the outsourced provider was competent and/or friendly. But, alas, in the case of this Westin, the provider is an outfit called Safety NetAccess that provides a) poor wifi, and b) some of the rudest, and most condescending customer service that I've ever encountered in a hotel. The people who were supposed to help me connect instead treated me like a two-year-old and couldn't help me at all. No, they're not Starwood - but Starwood chose them, and thus I'm giving this hotel a 2-star service rating. I'd suggest Starwood fire them, pronto.

Otherwise, the service is solid, as is the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FeltonS
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Thank you for this important feedback. I am truely sorry for the poor representation and service you received by out internet provider. You are right, they represent us and I will follow up accordingly.

new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

I stayed here one night and didn't have a problem. Rooms were nice and had a decent amount of space - standard for Westins. Lobby was spacious and clean and comfortable as well.

The only issue was the reception desk. Someone mentioned this before so I am not the only one that noticed but it should be corrected. I checked in about 7pm but when I arrived, no one was at the reception desk and I had to wait several minutes till someone came out of the back room. I understand that if it is slow, the staff may hang out in the back - so I can deal with a little wait. But the length of time i waited was unacceptable. Even checking out in the middle of the day, I had to wait at an empty desk - but not as long as the night before.I've have had better reception service from 2 star hotels. Poor first impression on the hotel staff but the rest of the hotel made up for this flaw.

I did not eat at the hotel so i cant comment on the food.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank caliber9
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 29 April 2011
I apologize for the lack of presence at the front desk during your arrival and departure. I will share your feedback with the front office stay. It is my expectation that all guests get greeted warmly in person. Thanks for your feedback.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

Last minute stay with an excellent online pre-pay rate. I would stay here again based on that alone!
Nice service. Great bed. Small room, but served us just fine as there was a sleeper sofa for son.
However, their breakfast buffet was just poor. Fruit melons were just sour as they were past ripe--both our 5 and 7 year olds even noticed this. Bread for toasting was pure stale--literally, just disgusting. Little fruit flies flying around food...sick! Sausages were nearly black and way past dry. Cereal was safe. Potatoes were just gross...just sitting in grease/oil. We left and ate at bob evans--much better.
Gave a low score for cleanliness due to horrible quality and care of the food in the breakfast bar.
Whoever is managing the breakfast buffet is getting away with murder and should be replaced by someone who cares.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Cypress822
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
While I am dissapointed in our product you experienced, I am grateful for your gift of feedback. I will be certain to pass along your comments to the appropriate people to ensure our food is always fresh and appealing to all guests. If you would like to follow up further, I welcome your call at 248-728-6519.

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

Hotel lobby is very nice, as so was my room, fairly large, nice bed, nice tv. Front desk was very pleasant, however I went to the bar for some food and a drink and boy did that service stop at the front desk. The bartender appeared to not want to be there and could care less to be willing to help me, short answers and occasional service. Food was good, would definitely eat there again, however, I would look for a different bar tender.

Bathroom was nice, except for the shower head, I am 6 feet tall and the water came out near my nose. The heavenly shower head did nothing as the second shower head hit my stomach.

I would stay here again, as the room was very nice as was the hotel itself. I just hope that bartender was having a bad day and was not in the mood to work.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank discostu58
Thank you so much for the feedback on your recent stay. I am dissapointed in our performance in F/B. I will follow up accordingly. I also apologize for the position of the shower and based on your height I understand that you could not utilize the full benefits of the Heavenly Shower. If I can be of further assistance, please call me directly at 248.728.6519.

East Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

Stayed at hotel recently for a wedding event As soon as walking through door issues developed: Had to locate and wait for valet to park our car; no one at the check in counter, had to find someone, and there was a mix up in our reservation. After checking in went to bar. Ordered a drink (an old fashion); however, out of bitters; spouse ordered a certain wine, out of it. The breakfast was very poor; eggs and potatoes were cold, coffee was terrible, and the fruit was on the edge of going bad (that certain taste). Bathroom was not clean (hairs in sink, mirror dirty). Overall, would not recommend this hotel because of issues noted.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KDB42159
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 28 March 2011
Thank you for the very valuable feedback. I am disappointed in the experience you had recently and will follow up accordingly. Please call me directly at 248-728-6519 so I may get further specifics of your stay and arrive at a proper resolution.

Apologetically,

Travellers are raving about these Southfield hotels

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

The Westin Southfield Detroit was a very nice and restful stay! I got the romance package which included chocolate covered strawberries & sparkling wine upon arrival, in-room breakfast for two and 4pm checkout! For $119/night plus taxes.

The heavenly bed was extremely comfortable and the room and bathroom were spacious! The attendees were very pleasant, nice & upbeat throughout our entire stay.

The only minor set back was the pool, it was only 3 feet deep, a little small, and there were kids in the pool after 10pm when the rules clearly state, only adults between 10-11pm... So minus the the kids diving and splashing all around my boyfriend & I, we had a great time, and I would definitely stay there again!

Ps. The Tangos restaurant in the hotel had some great burgers!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ReneeMC79
southfieldhotelman2, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Thank you for the delightful comments. I appreciate you gift of feedback. I will be sure to follow up accordingly on the "adult only" swimming hours. I can understand how that may have been a detractor on a romantic weekend. I look forward to your return and thank you for your business.

Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southfield
Comfort Suites Southfield
#3 of 19 in Southfield
Detroit Marriott Southfield
Detroit Marriott Southfield
#6 of 19 in Southfield

Been to The Westin Southfield Detroit? Share your experiences!