“Bad”

The Westin Southfield Detroit
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
“Bad”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I'm here now and it's a bad hotel. Avoid. Employees are super nice but I can't believe Wesson outs their name on this. It's awful. Tons of howling wind noise from window. And food in restaurant is Inedible. I'm fairly easy to please but this was bad bad bad. A 2 star is being kind. Westin should close this location immediately. It soils their brand.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
It is truly concerning to read about your recent stay with us and we offer our sincerest apologies that we did not create the exceptional experience that you deserve. We will promptly discuss your comments with our Restaurant Associates in order to ensure that future guests will benefit from improvements. Thank you for sharing with us. Be well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Serve fresh raspberry, blackberry, and blueberry in breakfast. That was great. But a lot more to improve on. Consistency in service is one. I has been waited 4 mins outside of empty front desk knocking on door/wall for attention. My green choice points was not added in SPG twice. Worst of all, my door card was not working about 1-2 times per week during my 3+ weeks stay there. Front desk knew about it but apparently no one has solution. At the end I carried 5 cards with me, just in case.
Overall, I think this is a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your gift of feedback regarding your extended stay with us. We’re excited that you enjoyed a healthy and rejuvenating breakfast and exceptional service levels from our Associates, but we do regret to read that you were faced with inconveniences during your stay. We are aware of problems with our keycards and are working diligently to find a solution that works for everyone. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon for the true, renewing Westin experience that you deserve. Thank you and be well.

Travellers are raving about these Southfield hotels

Grandville, Michigan
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Westin. I typically don't stay in such a large facility so I was pleasantly surprised by the large lobby, multiple conference and event spaces, restaurant, bar, etc. I found my room to be very clean and I was kindly upgraded into a nicer room when I asked if they had any "free upgrades". The bed slept very well and the room was spacious and clean.

The shower was nice and featured a dual head, however, I found them to be much too low for my height.

There are a lot of comments about this property being worn or tired, and I suppose this is true to some extent, however, it doesn't look shabby in the least.

If you've read any of my other reviews, you'll know that I'm particular about the temperature of the fitness center. Unfortunately, this did not meet my satisfaction. There was hardly any moving air by the treadmills and was about 70º F. Much to warm for a 4 mile jog at 8.5 mph. After sweating profusely, I decided to ask the staff to lower the temperature for my morning workout. I was told that they would have maintenance check the temperature and lower it. I was disappointed to find the facility no colder the following morning. If it wouldn't have been so incredibly cold outside, I would have preferred to run outside. I would have given anything to open a window, but the windows don't open and the heat vents that run along the windows were pouring in heat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit. We’re pleased to hear that our Heavenly Beds provided you with a restful night’s sleep, but regret that your experience in our fitness center was not as satisfying. We have noted your concerns with regards to the temperature and will have our Maintenance Engineers look into why a lower temperature could not be maintained. Thank you for alerting us to this issue. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Southfield area. Be well.
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I just returned from staying at this hotel this past week end. We had 2 rooms on the 8th floor. Both rooms were King bed rooms. I paid $5 for 24 hours of internet which seemed reasonable compared to most other Westin hotels. I hear that there was free Wifi in the lobby area though. We parked in the parking garage that is attached to the hotel; so, we only ever saw that area and the front desk during our stay; but, the hotel seems really nice. There was nothing in the room to tell us where the pool was located (I am assuing there was a pool). Free parking was nice too; and, the hotel is very centrally located. We got the rooms for $60 on Priceline.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the 8th floor; and, we liked them....
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
We’re absolute pleased to hear that your recent stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit was refreshing and convenient. You are correct; our hotel does have a wonderful indoor pool and any one of our Associates would have been happy to direct to it. We hope that when you visit us again, you will have the opportunity to enjoy it. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we hope to welcome you back very soon. Until then, be well.
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

This was an excellent hotel. It was very clean and got a great rate with breakfast included. The front desk clerk was very friendly as well as the server in the restaurant. Since it is likely that I will be making several visits to Detroit, I will plan to stay at this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
It is our ultimate goal to be a comfortable home for our guests during their stay and we’re so pleased that your stay met that goal. We truly appreciate your gift of feedback, as with the support of our guests, we are always monitoring our standards and high quality of service. Thank you for being our valued guest and we hope you return soon. Stay well.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had a bridal shower at the Southfield Westin, and it was an excellent experience. Every person that attended the shower commented that the food was outstanding. The staff was very friendly and hard working. This was a very important event for us, and I am happy to say it was a huge success. Thank you Southfield Westin!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
We are definitely pleased to read your review. It was our pleasure to provide you with exceptional service during such a special time in your life and we are honored that you chose The Westin Southfield as a place to create those memories. We hope to welcome you back for any of your event needs or even a future stay! Be well.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

For such a large hotel with great facilities - it's let down by it's tired attitude. A lack of care is apparent throughout the hotel. Gym equipment is old and worn out - the fountain stopped working in the lobby.

The staff were all of an older generation and appeared tired and to be honest - half the time didn't know what they were doing or just didn't care. Especially in the restaurant, slow, lack of attention, no smile. Just very... Tired!!

For a one night stay, fine - no problem but for a 3 night stay I felt ready to leave to more lively and friendly pastures.

A shame - it's an easy fix... Fix your attitudes staff!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about your recent experience. The service you received is certainly not what we want to provide our valued guests and we do apologize that your stay was not more enjoyable. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service and we thank you for your review. Stay well.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southfield
Comfort Suites Southfield
The Townsend Hotel
#1 of 2 in Birmingham
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Hilton Garden Inn Detroit-Southfield

Been to The Westin Southfield Detroit? Share your experiences!