“Good Break”

The Westin Southfield Detroit
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Southfield
“Good Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We just returned from a three-day stay at the Westin. Our experience was very good overall. The room was quiet and comfortable, with a very good king size bed. The people were friendly consistently, especially the concierge and in the restaurant. We had a sudden flood in the bathroom, which was attended to very promptly and professionally. For the minor inconvenience, the offered us a free buffet breakfast the next day, which we enjoyed. For a business trip or other short stay, I found this to be a good choice.

Room Tip: We were at the very end of a long hall and didn't hear a sound.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit with us. It is our ultimate goal to be a comfortable home for our guests during their stay, and welcoming you was certainly our pleasure. We truly appreciate your kind words for our Associates and for acknowledging their efforts and we look forward to greeting you again in the future. Until then, be well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Check in person had no enthusiasm when I arrived which was fine. My main concern being a platinum member was the room and the dust and heat that came with it. I wouldn't want to see what a room on a regular floor would be like. Housekeeping was terrible, had no replenishments of anything. No towels, washcloths, shampoo, etc. Room temperature was never below 75 degrees each of the two nights I was there meaning zero sleep for those nights. Called down to the desk to get a couple "sorry's" and was told engineering would be sent up, waiting an hour for nothing as nobody showed. Terrible overall hotel/SPG experience. I expect to be warm/cool in the room no matter what the weather is like. Consider other nearby options for now until they get their act together.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank David P
Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about your recent experience. This is certainly not what we want to provide our valued guests and we do apologize for the condition of your accommodations. We will be sure to re-emphasize the importance of gracious customer service with all of our Associates and we would be delighted if you would consider returning in the future to experience our true and renewing Westin service. Stay well.

Travellers are raving about these Southfield hotels

Maine, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

The rooms were nice and had a wonderful breakfast buffet. It was a nice place to wander around in, it has a beautiful indoor garden and rock walking paths. While staying I the city it was a nice retreat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
We’re so pleased you enjoyed a refreshing stroll around our beautiful Garden Atrium and had an opportunity to relax while here. Knowing that The Westin Southfield Detroit provided you with a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of the city makes us smile. Please come and stay with us again soon. Stay well.
Farmington Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed during our Anniversary. we stayed at the 10th floor. the hotel was overall nice and clean. the only drawback was that their coffee shop is closed on weekends. the only option was to drink in their restaurant
The breakfast was nice. it was around $17/per person. pretty ok for a place like westin

Room Tip: Ask for a room for a higher floor as its close to highway and you don't want to hear the traffic...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for choosing the stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit for such a special time in your life. We’re pleased to hear that we were able to create a memorable stay for your anniversary! While it is correct that our coffee shop is not available on weekends, our Level 1 Lounge and Tango Restaurant offer a relaxing environment where our guests can enjoy indulging in their favorite beverages and meals. We look forward to greeting you both in the near future and we thank you for your kind review. Stay well.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I'm here now and it's a bad hotel. Avoid. Employees are super nice but I can't believe Wesson outs their name on this. It's awful. Tons of howling wind noise from window. And food in restaurant is Inedible. I'm fairly easy to please but this was bad bad bad. A 2 star is being kind. Westin should close this location immediately. It soils their brand.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
It is truly concerning to read about your recent stay with us and we offer our sincerest apologies that we did not create the exceptional experience that you deserve. We will promptly discuss your comments with our Restaurant Associates in order to ensure that future guests will benefit from improvements. Thank you for sharing with us. Be well.
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Serve fresh raspberry, blackberry, and blueberry in breakfast. That was great. But a lot more to improve on. Consistency in service is one. I has been waited 4 mins outside of empty front desk knocking on door/wall for attention. My green choice points was not added in SPG twice. Worst of all, my door card was not working about 1-2 times per week during my 3+ weeks stay there. Front desk knew about it but apparently no one has solution. At the end I carried 5 cards with me, just in case.
Overall, I think this is a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your gift of feedback regarding your extended stay with us. We’re excited that you enjoyed a healthy and rejuvenating breakfast and exceptional service levels from our Associates, but we do regret to read that you were faced with inconveniences during your stay. We are aware of problems with our keycards and are working diligently to find a solution that works for everyone. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon for the true, renewing Westin experience that you deserve. Thank you and be well.
Grandville, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Westin. I typically don't stay in such a large facility so I was pleasantly surprised by the large lobby, multiple conference and event spaces, restaurant, bar, etc. I found my room to be very clean and I was kindly upgraded into a nicer room when I asked if they had any "free upgrades". The bed slept very well and the room was spacious and clean.

The shower was nice and featured a dual head, however, I found them to be much too low for my height.

There are a lot of comments about this property being worn or tired, and I suppose this is true to some extent, however, it doesn't look shabby in the least.

If you've read any of my other reviews, you'll know that I'm particular about the temperature of the fitness center. Unfortunately, this did not meet my satisfaction. There was hardly any moving air by the treadmills and was about 70º F. Much to warm for a 4 mile jog at 8.5 mph. After sweating profusely, I decided to ask the staff to lower the temperature for my morning workout. I was told that they would have maintenance check the temperature and lower it. I was disappointed to find the facility no colder the following morning. If it wouldn't have been so incredibly cold outside, I would have preferred to run outside. I would have given anything to open a window, but the windows don't open and the heat vents that run along the windows were pouring in heat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
WestinSouthfield, General Manager at The Westin Southfield Detroit, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin Southfield Detroit. We’re pleased to hear that our Heavenly Beds provided you with a restful night’s sleep, but regret that your experience in our fitness center was not as satisfying. We have noted your concerns with regards to the temperature and will have our Maintenance Engineers look into why a lower temperature could not be maintained. Thank you for alerting us to this issue. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Southfield area. Be well.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southfield
Comfort Suites Southfield
The Townsend Hotel
#1 of 2 in Birmingham
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Hilton Garden Inn Detroit-Southfield

Been to The Westin Southfield Detroit? Share your experiences!