“Solid Business Hotel”

The Westin Southfield Detroit
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Stayed for 3 nights during a business trip. Traveled all over Detroit and though this was a little out, it was easy to get around. It is about 40-minutes from the airport and 25-minutes to downtown.

The hotel is part of a business park and a little confusing to get too due to the traffic situation. Check-in is easy. Not that busy in Detroit area these days. I use Priceline extensively to bid and got 2-rooms for $75/night. Very good deal.

The rooms were well appointed and large. There were some cleaning issues in the restroom, but only the first day. The room overall was very clean. Best beds in the hotel industry.

workout room was great. New machines and not busy. Pool was great too.

Did not like breakfast buffet. Food was stale and had sat around too long. next morning ordered off of menu and it was great. Ruths Chris Steakhouse is just down the street. Fantastic little Thai restuarant in a strip center near the hotel that was an awesome find.

Did not have to pay for parking. I self-parked in the building next door and was an easy walk. Good way to safe a few sheckels

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank TXScooby

Reviewed 14 June 2009

Every so often, you hit a place that just doesn't agree with you. This was one of mine.
Minor hassles: The garage parking is a maze. And the first night I was there a high school prom or birthday party was letting out from the banquet area around 1 a.m.; maybe 40 to 50 teens were ungodly loud in the parking lot, and a few started dancing on a car (I'm hoping it was their car). Security guard looked out the door at the noise, hesitated, then walked back inside. Thanks.
Bigger disappointments: The pool and exercise room simply aren't 4-star hotel material. Not close. Most of the staff wasn't, either. "Cold" is the best word to describe the Westin - no effort at warmth or graciousness, just robotic/bored efficiency. There are way worse things to encounter in a hotel, of course, but this Westin just doesn't rate the 4 stars ... 3.5 maybe.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I have read hundreds of reviews over the years and generally find them to be a reliable tool, however, this is the first time I have been compelled to write my own after reading several good and not so good reviews before booking this Hotel. I typically book 3 star hotels as by best value/minimum comfort threshold, but upped it in this case because of the price of this 4 star. I have stayed in several 4 stars over the years and have only ever been really impressed with the Westin at the Metro Airport. This hotel was not quite as fresh, and some finishes were not as nice, like tile instead of travertine marble in the bathroom, however, pretty much everything else was on par. The beds were super comfortable. The furnishings were well above any 3 star I stay in. Carpetting and bedding were extremely clean and unworn, including hallways. I want to comment that my experience with the staff checking in and out was extremely positive. They were cheerful and pleasant, and very accomodating. I had absolutely no need of any other staff as everthing was as it should be. No missing ammenities, no running toilet. The pool was a little small, but extremely clean and modern. My only complaint would be the hallway noise due to some people socializing there instead of their rooms. What are you gonna do? Anyway, one night in one room does not paint a complete picture, but I will be back, and for the pricepoint would gladly put up with a snooty person at the front desk, or some other slight inconvenience, but I won't be expecting it.

By the way, the pool was 3 feet at both ends and 3 1/2 feet in the middle, perfect for my six year old to have fun. The Hot tub was integrated into one corner of the pool, so it was easy to keep a sharp eye on my children while relaxing in it for a few minutes.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank nilespratt
Reviewed 31 March 2009

This Westin is only average compared to the other Westin Hotels I have stayed in. I booked a deluxe king room then upgraded to executive level which was supposed to include upgraded bath amenities, turndown service and complementary water. I checked in about 3:30pm and my room wasn't completely ready. Meaning there was no water in the room and no bath products. So when housekeeping came they brought one bottle of water(2 people in the room) and no bath products. After I showered and got changed I left for the day and returned back to the room at about 10pm to find my room had not been turned down. I had to call to the front desk to get my room turndown. There is nothing worse than coming back to the room after a long day and your bed is not made and towels on the floor. This service is what I paid extra for...I should not have to call the front desk everynight to get my bed made. But for $79 you can't expect luxury service even if it is a 4 star hotel. I recently stayed at there sister property W Atlanta downtown, this is a 4 star hotel and they treated us like royalty. Turndown service was done everynight, minibar restocked everynight, picked up all towels off the floor everynight. We didn't have to do anything which is how it should be when your on vacation.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2008

As a Platinum SPG Member, I stay at lots of Sheratons and Westins. This one was definitely on the lower end of the Westin chain. No club lounge, restaurant with no ambience, not adjacent to any restaurants or shopping. Room was clean and quiet. Parking was free. No place to sit or relax downstairs i the entrance area other than the bar.

If there were other good choices around, I would choose them.

Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank PAQ
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Our family of four stayed at this hotel October 4, 2008 thru October 7, 2008.

We arrived at 2:30pm and were given room 719 which faces the highway and is just off of the elevators.

The Good:

Rooms are clean and has some sleek styling. However the room was somewhat "tired". The pull out couch had stains on it. Some of the wallpaper had begun to peel in the bathroom. The shower head was yellowed white plastic.

Parking is free HOWEVER there is/was major construction going on in the parking garage making parking quite a challange. Valet is $15.00 a day.

Room service was surprisingly promt and came with the full white linen and rolling table. Tip: Order from the childrens menu. Everything is $5.00 and there is PLENTY of food. It was pretty tasty too. Note that the tip is already added as well as 18% tax and $3.50 delivery fee.

The Bad:

The woman who assigned us our room couldn't have been less interested in her job if she were a volunteer. No "hello", "welcome", etc. They automatically put a hold on our credit card of $60.00 for incedentals. She also failed to mention that you must put your room card in the elevator to get to the floors above the public rooms. Not a big deal unless you go downstairs without your key and can't get back to your room.

Our room was not serviced on the first night until I called and requested it. It was finally serviced at 5:30pm and it was half hearted at best. The room service table sat outside our room for 24 hours.

The t.v. channels are fuzzy.

Final Impressions:'

It is a safe hotel with O.K. amenities. It is designed to service the several business' surrounding the hotel. Absolutely average. DO NOT PAY Westin prices! Do it through PriceLine or HOTWIRE. We probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Fourseasondreamer
Reviewed 30 September 2008

We stayed at the Westin Southfield because my boyfriend was in his best friends wedding that took place in the Atrium at the Westin. We of course, needed to check in prior to the 3pm check-in time because the wedding party need to get together, get ready, take pictures etc. Early check-in while not always possible is always in my experience attempted to be accomodated at any hotel I have stayed for business or pleasure. We called the hotel a week prior to make this request, we were told to call the day before to make the request. We called the day before and the front desk staff told my boyfriend "We can't guarantee an early check-in, but if I was a betting man, and I am, I'd bet we have a room for you as we have 150 open rooms tonight."

Now whether part of a wedding party that is spending a significant amount of money to be there, is that what you say to someone?

Needless to say, my boyfriend and I could make no plans ahead of time because we didn't know what time we'd be able to get a room. We decided on the morning of the wedding just to head to the hotel and try to check in early. We didn't really have a choice. We were given early check-in, but I wanted to make sure that the corporate office was aware that the front desk was rude and non-accomodating to people, which we all know people is the only reason hotels even exist.

The responses I received from corporate and the hotel management were unprofessional and condescending at best. I was never given an apology and was told that there was no problem and the case is closed.

Be aware of this when traveling. Of course, we understand you can't always get an early check-in, but I also know that the could have done many things to get rooms ready for people even if they were completely booked and with 150 clean rooms, it seems a bit ridiculous that we were treated this way.

I will never trust the Westin with my business or vacation plans. I don't expect that they would ever go an extra 5 feet, let alone an extra mile to assist and that's just not worth it especially for the cost of these rooms.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southfield
Comfort Suites Southfield
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
The Townsend Hotel
The Townsend Hotel
#1 of 2 in Birmingham

Been to The Westin Southfield Detroit? Share your experiences!