“Shabby needs upgrading”

Motel 6 Detroit-Southgate
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Southgate
Reviewed 24 December 2012 via mobile

O
Both of our beds presented with wrinkled sheets. The towels were thin, gray and rough feeling towel. The rug was dirty. The furniture was scarred and there were old cigarette burns. This motelmotel a general feeling of dinginess. Don 't leave the light on for me, I won 't be back.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed 18 September 2012

The ownership of this Motel 6 is AMAZING they make sure everything is perferct for guest the front desk is wonderful help you out with anything you need and welcome you. Like how a guest should be treated I have been to many Motel 6 but nothing like this location. The lobby is unreal for a Motel 6. Recommend to everyone especially for the value you get what you pay for

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Review313
Reviewed 17 June 2012

First, let me date this so others can have a reference time when reading all of these reviews I stayed at this location June 2, 2012.

After working a 16 hour day I needed a place with a shower & a bed for 3 nights rather than driving over an hour home only to turn around in 3 hours and make another hour long drive back to work. So, Motel 6 seemed to be a perfect location & cost. MISTAKE ! ! !

Filthy carpet left my feet black after walking on it. Light switch at door didn't work and housekeeping - when/if they came in, couldn't tell by looking at the place - turned off the light by the bed I left on. So I had to walk across a dark room after midnight each night to get to a light. So much for "we leave the light on"!

Shower curtain was molded & bottom of tub was black. Sitting chair was very stained. All in all a very disgusting room. Had I not been working so many hours and needed a place close by to stay I certainly wouldn't have stayed!

I realize that I didn't pay a lot for this room, however, no one should have to pay to stay in a place that probably should be shut down by the health department!

Room Tip: Don't stay here - look for another hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Christina B
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I stayed there last week with my fiancee, we checked in and she went to the room and a went back to work for a couple hrs. When I got to the room I was discussed the sheets were dirty with holes in them, when you walked on the carpet your shoes got dirty. I called the front desk and asked for another room in whitch they gave me one, the problem was that room was worst than the first. So I called customer service for the chain. I was told that the properties manager would call and straighten this out or give me a refund so I could get out of that rouch hotel. When the so called manager called it was the same women at the front desk that says shes not given a refund because we have stayed ther before and should now how that place is. I called customer service back and was told there is nothing they could do, Nice customer service? So the bottom line is if you like dirty floors nasty sheets and a manager with a attitude than stay at Motel 6 in Southgate.

Room Tip: Go across the street from motel 6
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I've gone through some rough times where I was homeless and lived at Motel 6 for a while. The staff were always polite. Nobody ever looked down on me or mistreated me. I never had any problems with anybody. The rooms were always clean. There was also free wifi which came in very useful because I was attending online college classes and was running an online store on ebay as my income. There was fresh coffee all the time and fast food and a restaurant located within walking distance. Whenever I or anybody I know needs a place to say, I tell them to stay at Motel 6 in Southgate. Good price and friendly staff and in the summer they have a nice outdoor pool.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed there a short time back. I got a jacuzzi room with a king bed for the night, just to get away from home for an evening and relax with my fiancee.

First, our bedsheets had various fresh looking stains. When I called the front desk to request a change to clean sheets, the woman gave me quite the attitude about it. When she did finally come and saw that they were filthy, she told me she didn't even know which maid was responsible since the manager took the records home.

There were cigarette ashes in the jacuzzi and it was clear that it hadn't been cleaned in some time. The bathroom had cigarette butts on the floor and cobwebs in the corners. The entire place smelled funny.

When I checked out the next morning, the woman behind the desk asked how my stay was. I expressed the issues and she told me that "A regular who rents by the week had been staying there" and admitted that they hadn't been in to clean. She offered to refund me 10% of the stays cost as an apology. She took my card but I never received the 10% refund. When I called a few weeks later to inquire about it, the woman I spoke to claimed ignorance to it all.

Overall, I was disgusted with the service AND the room. I won't be returning there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raev
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I added the "plus" to the name. This hotel is way beyond the usual quality of the Motel 6 chain. I was impressed the moment i drove onto the property.Palatial lobby, free wi-fi, and ample parking with a drive up check in window. (How cool is that?) The room boasts the standard Motel 6 furnishings. (you know, no clock, cheesy bedspread, etc.) Many restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jeremy S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southgate
La Quinta Inn Detroit Southgate
Red Roof Inn Detroit Southwest-Taylor
Comfort Suites Southgate
Comfort Suites Southgate
#3 of 8 in Southgate
Holiday Inn Southgate - Heritage Center
Hampton Inn Detroit / Southgate
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southgate - Detroit Area

Been to Motel 6 Detroit-Southgate? Share your experiences!